Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Guys:

I'm curious: If trying to develop an accurate load for a hunting rifle which will ultimately wear a 4x scope, would you use a higher mag scope for development then switch to the 4x hunting scope for the field, or just use the 4x from the git-go?

Thanks

FM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I prefer to use a higher power for load work.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
New rifle, or working up loads.......slap on my 36X or 40X BR scope. Target is a 1/8" dot. Takes aiming error out of the equation. Saves a lot of ammo and dicking around,

Lefty

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use 24x with a fine reticle of some sort for development . If your not able to see your exact aim point you're guessing to some degree.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

At the range, the older I get the better I shoot with a higher magnification.........

Don't like them for hunting though.....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Higher magnification can be an advantage, but it really doesn't take all that much to do well by a hunting rifle. If you use a target appropriate to the reticle and you can't shoot 1/2 MOA with 10x it isn't lack of magnification holding you back.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
All things being equal, you can shoot tighter groups with a high magnification, fine reticle scope, which is helpful when developing loads. Slap your hunting scope on when you get your final load. Whether it is worth the extra cost to have a scope dedicated to just load development is another matter, but it sure is nice having that extra sighting precision off the bench on a paper target.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just use a 3-9×40 for everything and call it good. Why limit yourself with a 4x?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
One man's opinion... you can develop a perfectly satisfactory accurate hunting load with the lower power scope of choice, start to finish. To augment precision, you can make a precise aiming black with a big Magic Marker and a ruler, the precise diamond shape is very satisfactory. Ken Waters was nobodies fool when it came to load development and evaluation.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Over the years I've gone through the load development with a higher power and have found that the load will rarely shoot better with the hunting scope back on than if I had developed the load with the hunting scope. That said I rarely hunt with a fixed power scope having 1-4, 1.5-6 and 2-10/12 s on my hunting rifles.

You also then have to deal with switching out scopes repeatedly.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for all the responses. This was discussed on another thread (regarding wind, I believe), but what would be the downside to doing the development at 50 yards using the 4x, then stretching to 100 for a final check? Would 50 yards be far enough to allow for evaluation of groups/loads?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RevMike
Thanks for all the responses. This was discussed on another thread (regarding wind, I believe), but what would be the downside to doing the development at 50 yards using the 4x, then stretching to 100 for a final check? Would 50 yards be far enough to allow for evaluation of groups/loads?

No, not in my opinion. After 100 yards I use 30p for final evaluation, but I don't hunt with 4X scopes

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have shot as good a group with 4x as any higher powered scope. If you use the right target it’s not a problem. I usually hunt with 4x, but also 6x.

Even if I hunt with a variable, I usually set it on 6x or 4x depending on where I’m hunting.

When shooting prairie dogs, I will use higher power but there’s no need for it on big game.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In general, the average 20/20 eye can "resolve" an inch at 100 yards. This means is can tell the difference between alternating black-and-white lines half-an-inch wide. (Beyond 100 yards the lines appear gray, like zebras in the distance.)

Magnification allows resolution of smaller lines. In theory, a 4x scope allows us to resolve alternating 1/8 inch black-and-white lines, but this also depends on the quality of the optics, and light. Thus the error inherent in a 4x scope is about 1/4 inch.

The same principle applies to higher-magnification scopes: A 10x scope allows about 1/10th of an inch of aiming error, a 20x about 1/20th of an inch, etc.

Whether the shooter can take advantage of this is another question, partly because of wind.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're shooting a 4x in the field, how much precision do you need above and beyond what you are capable of discerning with the 4x? If a 20x scope helps tell the difference between a .75MOA load and a 1.25MOA load, is that really going to matter on a game animal when using the 4x as the "aiming device"? I know it's mentally helpful to have faith in accuracy of a load, but I'm not sure I'd fret it too much if it shoots acceptably for me at hunting ranges with my intended optic.

Now with even more aplomb
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Well said!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
If you're shooting a 4x in the field, how much precision do you need above and beyond what you are capable of discerning with the 4x? If a 20x scope helps tell the difference between a .75MOA load and a 1.25MOA load, is that really going to matter on a game animal when using the 4x as the "aiming device"? I know it's mentally helpful to have faith in accuracy of a load, but I'm not sure I'd fret it too much if it shoots acceptably for me at hunting ranges with my intended optic.

I suppose it could also depend on if you're looking for minute of prairie dog, or minute of moose.....

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
All: again, thanks for the comments.

Neither moose nor prairie dogs in Florida, but what Loony doesn't want to wring-out all the accuracy potential of a rifle, regardless of game hunted? crazy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

As I pointed out in a post just before yours, the difference in aiming precision between a 4x and 20x scope is far less than between "A .75MOA load and a 1.25MOA load."

It's 1/4 of an inch minus 1/20 of an inch, which is .2 inch.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

As I pointed out in a post just before yours, the difference in aiming precision between a 4x and 20x scope is far less than between "A .75MOA load and a 1.25MOA load."

It's 1/4 of an inch minus 1/20 of an inch, which is .2 inch.

This sounds like an RLN article in the making: actual range test between a 4x and whatever the highest magnification you can get your hands on. That would be an interesting test, IMO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 48 invisible), 2,820 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,597
Posts18,454,376
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.