Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They would make more money by just starting to sell 270 Winchesters with 8" twist barrels.

The 270 W doesn't get the the bullet out fast enough to benefit the high bc.

Just twist the 270 WSM right. This 6.8 is just doing things backwards from someone who is bored in life.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SU35
They would make more money by just starting to sell 270 Winchesters with 8" twist barrels.

The 270 W doesn't get the the bullet out fast enough to benefit the high bc.

Just twist the 270 WSM right. This 6.8 is just doing things backwards from someone who is bored in life.

If you re-throat/re-twist the .270 WIN to accommodate both the longer, high BC bullets, as well as the 3.60" Remington long action magazine?

You can get w/in a grain or so loaded of the new 6.8W, or ~ 2.5 grs. loaded of the .270 WSM.

Plenty.

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
[quote]

Trouble with the 270 WSM is the SAAMI length is set at 2.86" OAL, which is not optimum for the new wave of high BC hunting bullets (165 ABLR, 170 EOL, 175 TGK).

Another problem would be theoretical 165-175gr factory ammo for a 270 WSM being shot in standard 1:10 twist rifles, it will shoot awful at best. Lots of angry uninformed customers blaming Winchester online. It makes more sense to design a new cartridge from the ground up and offer it with rifles and ammo that works well. That's what Winchester is doing

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by mag410
It was called the 6.8 Browning right up to the time it was submitted to SAAMI.

Interesting.

All under the FN Herstal roof.

GR

Winchester is synonymous with the .277, it makes perfect sense to stay away from the Browning name here.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by todbartell
[quote=SU35]

Trouble with the 270 WSM is the SAAMI length is set at 2.86" OAL, which is not optimum for the new wave of high BC hunting bullets (165 ABLR, 170 EOL, 175 TGK).

Another problem would be theoretical 165-175gr factory ammo for a 270 WSM being shot in standard 1:10 twist rifles, it will shoot awful at best. Lots of angry uninformed customers blaming Winchester online. It makes more sense to design a new cartridge from the ground up and offer it with rifles and ammo that works well. That's what Winchester is doing

I disagree. People need to be treated like adults, and then expected to behave like adults. There are several cartridges for which there are lots of different standard twist rates. The 223/5.56 is a perfect example. If you have a 1:12, most bullets over 60 grains won't shoot for schit. How much have the ammo companies had to argue with people who bought ammo with 77g bullets and tried to shoot it in their 1:12 Colt?

It would have been simple and easy to offer the WSM in 1:8 twist, then marked the ammo "fast twist" or " for 1:8 barrels only", and put out a press release describing the new standard twist and new ammo specs.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
as I speculated in a thread about the new Savage straight pull, the purpose of these innovations is NOT to get a bullet to travel from the hunter's gun to the deer's vitals. It is to get cash to travel from the hunter's wallet to the company's bottom line.

I hope many of you buy this so some folks in the gun industry get a nice bonus this year.

shoot good!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
as I speculated in a thread about the new Savage straight pull, the purpose of these innovations is NOT to get a bullet to travel from the hunter's gun to the deer's vitals. It is to get cash to travel from the hunter's wallet to the company's bottom line.

I hope many of you buy this so some folks in the gun industry get a nice bonus this year.

shoot good!

No one is getting a bonus from this [bleep] of a cartridge/rifle release. People can't get ammo for the rifles they have now. Winchester won't be making any new friends here.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
[quote=SU35]

I disagree. People need to be treated like adults, and then expected to behave like adults. There are several cartridges for which there are lots of different standard twist rates. The 223/5.56 is a perfect example. If you have a 1:12, most bullets over 60 grains won't shoot for schit. How much have the ammo companies had to argue with people who bought ammo with 77g bullets and tried to shoot it in their 1:12 Colt?

It would have been simple and easy to offer the WSM in 1:8 twist, then marked the ammo "fast twist" or " for 1:8 barrels only", and put out a press release describing the new standard twist and new ammo specs.

They had to put warning labels on Tide Pods and release celebrity public safety announcements to NOT eat them, and you expect the average American to even know what barrel twist is and how it relates to ammo choice?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
[quote=SU35]

They had to put warning labels on Tide Pods and release celebrity public safety announcements to NOT eat them, and you expect the average American to even know what barrel twist is and how it relates to ammo choice?

You don't seem to know what a psyop is. Doesn't matter for this discussion. YES, I DO expect the average gun owner to learn some important specifics about his firearm. There are nearly an endless list of people to ask, if the person doesn't know how to accomplish this task, and some of them will give the right answer.

You drive with these people every time you get on the road. Like I said in my post: people need to be treated like adults, and then expected to act like results. Unless you don't think we should be allowed to drive, or own guns, or even manage our own finances. We should just wear diapers, and sit all day in front of screens.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I suspect that they did this to out-Hornady Hornady. Look at the past- H is always doing this kind of crap to other people's cartridges. They did it to deny H the 270 PRC.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Esteban325
I suspect that they did this to out-Hornady Hornady. Look at the past- H is always doing this kind of crap to other people's cartridges. They did it to deny H the 270 PRC.

Not sure that Hornady would want to dilute demand for the 6.5 PRC, but who knows.
Either way, it’s a tough time to introduce a new chambering when you can’t even keep up with the demand for existing offerings.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
True @AKwolverine. But first to market in a caliber niche is significant most of the time. What I mean is look at what Hornady did with the RCM's to Winchester, what they just recently did to Alexander Arms with their 6mm ARC. Well this time it got turned around on them and, looking at the numbers, I'd go with the Western if I was in the market for a new rifle (which I am not, because I have a 325 WSM to hunt with).

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Darryle
But, why?

Looking at load data, I don't see any benefits, what am I missing?

It's twisting at an 8. For long, heavy bullets, instead of the 130-150gr bullets of the 1:10 twisted WSM and WIN.

Exactly.

... and the shoulder pushed back a bit... for...

[Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com]

GR

Odd,a 165gr .270 and the BC isn't even over .700. There are plenty of bullets already in the .500 - .700 range for various calibers. Not sure what this brings to the table?

O
O
The 6.5s in creed and prc will kill everything in NA, and do it flatter with less deflection and recoil. Not sure the point of this new round.

Enjoy the hunt, and share your stories - that is what its all about.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
What need was there for the 6.5 creed or prc. The calibers before would kill anything on the planet. Next. Edk

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SomeSmuck
The 6.5s in creed and prc will kill everything in NA, and do it flatter with less deflection and recoil. Not sure the point of this new round.

The 30-06 is 100 years older than the Creedmoor and will kill everything in NA (and the world). The 6.5x55 is 15 years older than that, and will mimic the performance of the Creedmoor. Kind of makes your post seem ridiculous to look at facts.

O
O
Originally Posted by SomeSmuck

The 30-06 is 100 years older than the Creedmoor and will kill everything in NA (and the world). The 6.5x55 is 15 years older than that, and will mimic the performance of the Creedmoor. Kind of makes your post seem ridiculous to look at facts.

6.5x55 isnt a round I can commonly find and the 30-06 has higher recoil and much more wind drift.

Enjoy the hunt, and share your stories - that is what its all about.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anybody shootin' one of these, yet?

GR

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
It has a...longer (and narrower) free-bore

You want a shorter throat for long, sleek bullets, not a longer one.

Exactly. I had a Creed set up for 140 VLD’s. Regular factory ammo had to be set back a bit to chamber.

But the VLD round, fitting the box mag, resulted in a shorter than normal throat. Not a problem for me. Future owner may have some heartburn.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Anybody shootin' one of these, yet?

GR

I was just in a store that had 20+ boxes of the Browning 175 TGKs... pretty neat looking little devil. I kinda like the sounds of the 175 running around 2800 or so. I’m betting it’ll be a helluva game Bullet since it isn’t ever going to be hitting at warp speeds.

Semper Fi
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

600 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 60 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,279
Posts18,448,505
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.