Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Recently, Two(2) interesting things have happened:

1. SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute) approved this new cartridge:

2. This Trade Mark was filed:

6.8 WESTERN™
Olin Corporation
[Linked Image from uspto.report]

Appears that Winchester/Olin - is on the verge of correcting the shortcomings of their .270 WSM.

GR

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I noticed they have spec'd it to the 10 thousandth of an inch--just like the Creedmoor

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
But, why?

Looking at load data, I don't see any benefits, what am I missing?

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Darryle
But, why?

It's twisting at an 8. For long, heavy bullets, instead of the 130-150gr bullets of the 1:10 twisted WSM and WIN.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
But, why?

It's twisting at an 8. For long, heavy bullets, instead of the 130-150gr bullets of the 1:10 twisted WSM and WIN.

Exactly.

... and the shoulder pushed back a bit... for...

[Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com]

GR

Last edited by Garandimal; 11/16/20.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang. I don’t hate the 270 wsm.

Yup.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They would make more money by just starting to sell 270 Winchesters with 8" twist barrels.

How many of these rifles will the have to sell to break even?

The next interesting round will be the 7mm PRC.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Top right corner says 175 gr at 2,840 fps out of 24" barrel

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RMiller2
They would make more money by just starting to sell 270 Winchesters with 8" twist barrels...

Lookin' into that very prospect.

- 24" R5 1:8 twist stainless .270 Win. re-Bbl. for a M700.
(and some Unicorn RL-26 powder)

GR

Last edited by Garandimal; 11/16/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They also could’ve twisted the WSM properly from the get-go, but there seems to be a lot of old idea boys working in the big companies. They really have to have their noses rubbed in it before they catch on. ‘Twas ever thus.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
They also could’ve twisted the WSM properly from the get-go, but there seems to be a lot of old idea boys working in the big companies. They really have to have their noses rubbed in it before they catch on. ‘Twas ever thus.

Around 2003 when the 270 WSM came out I don't think fast twists were even a thing at that point. I know I have a 1-8 barrel for my 270 WSM that's been sitting for awhile since I am stuck on the 150 Partitions, Accubonds and Bitterroots.... It'll get done eventually though.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs

Around 2003 when the 270 WSM came out I don't think fast twists were even a thing at that point. I know I have a 1-8 barrel for my 270 WSM that's been sitting for awhile since I am stuck on the 150 Partitions, Accubonds and Bitterroots.... It'll get done eventually though.

Thinkin' the 165 gr. ABLR... backed up by a 170 gr. Partition - SD=317 / BC(G1)~.520 / MV ~2900 fps/24" Bbl.

Woof.

GR

Last edited by Garandimal; 11/17/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs

Around 2003 when the 270 WSM came out I don't think fast twists were even a thing at that point.

Oh they were, just not in most factory rifles (or .270s) wink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RMiller2
They would make more money by just starting to sell 270 Winchesters with 8" twist barrels.

How many of these rifles will the have to sell to break even?

The next interesting round will be the 7mm PRC.

The 7mm Creedmoor will be my next build. The 7-08 is a great cartridge, but combine that with the case design and logistics of the Creedmoor, and I think it'll be a sweet little package.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My only criticism of the cartridge drawing is the .011" (plus .002") over nominal bullet diameter freebore. The tolerance should have been more in line with the CM's tighter tolerance. It seems like the tighter the tolerance on the reamer spec, the greater the likelihood that most rifles will shoot very well.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

The case capacity appears lower on the 6.8 looking at case drawings. So twist the WSM faster and still be able to use factory shelf ammo, then you can still run the heavy reloads . This sounds better than waiting on other companies to jump on board.

How many companies would be willing to jump in when the same outcome could be accomplished with a simple rebarrel?

I am all for more choices, not less, but realistically how great a chance is there for this to succeed?

I included the 6.5 PRC drawing for reference since they are extremely close in dimensions.

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

The case capacity appears lower on the 6.8 looking at case drawings. So twist the WSM faster and still be able to use factory shelf ammo, then you can still run the heavy reloads . This sounds better than waiting on other companies to jump on board.

How many companies would be willing to jump in when the same outcome could be accomplished with a simple rebarrel?

I am all for more choices, not less, but realistically how great a chance is there for this to succeed?

I included the 6.5 PRC drawing for reference since they are extremely close in dimensions.

It's not just the twist. It's a whole bunch of stuff. The reamer geometry and case shape and length (and width) of the throat on SAAMI spec reamers, along with COL. The WSM was not designed to shoot ultra-long projectiles with high BC and high SD. Sure, you can cram them into the case, but the SAAMI reamers used for factory rifles and standard magazine length were designed to maximize performance for bullets 130-150gr.

This new cartridge uses a very similar case, but seeks to correct the flaws in the platform. It has a faster twist, longer (and narrower) free-bore, shallower leade angle (for high BC bullets), and most importantly, the max COL is 2.955", so standard magazines will allow for long bullets to be seated long, into a target-leade-taper.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's not just the twist. It's a whole bunch of stuff. The reamer geometry and case shape and length (and width) of the throat on SAAMI spec reamers, along with COL. The WSM was not designed to shoot ultra-long projectiles with high BC and high SD. Sure, you can cram them into the case, but the SAAMI reamers used for factory rifles and standard magazine length were designed to maximize performance for bullets 130-150gr.

This new cartridge uses a very similar case, but seeks to correct the flaws in the platform. It has a faster twist, longer (and narrower) free-bore, shallower leade angle (for high BC bullets), and most importantly, the max COL is 2.955", so standard magazines will allow for long bullets to be seated long, into a target-leade-taper.

Not to mention nomenclature dysfunction RE: ammo. (See 7mm Rem Express)

As for case capacity reduction?

See that as a plus.

More efficient/less intrusion given applicable long bullets.

Maybe 3 grn less(water)...?

Call it 63 grn/.270 WCF < 69 grn/6.8 W < 72 grn/.270 WSM... for a 150 gr. bullet.

So, one 3 grn jump over a .270 AI.

For 150-175 gr. loads... for me...?

Ideal.

Already budgeting for a M70 EW/SS (24" Bbl.) in 6.8 WESTERN.

8>)

GR

Last edited by Garandimal; 11/17/20.
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
This doesn't quite have the capacity of the 270WSM (lacks about 10gr). It's got about 2 more than the 270 win so with a better (read efficient) case design we'll just have to see how it performs.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Not to mention nomenclature dysfunction RE: ammo. (See 7mm Rem Express)

As for case capacity reduction?

See that as a plus.

More efficient/less intrusion given applicable long bullets.

Maybe 3 grn less(water)...?

Call it 63 grn/.270 WCF < 69 grn/6.8 W < 72 grn/.270 WSM... for a 150 gr. bullet.

So, one 3 grn jump over a .270 AI.

For 150-175 gr. loads... for me...?

Ideal.

Already budgeting for a M70 EW/SS (24" Bbl.) in 6.8 WESTERN.

8>)

GR

I've decided I'm just going to buy an 8-twist 270 Win barrel that is throated appropriately, and swap it out on current 270. Maybe next spring.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 80 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,688
Posts18,456,480
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.