Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
The Williams receiver sight uses the rear scope base holes.

Not the ones I always installed on my Marlins. They were always mounted on the side.

Newer ones do.

[Linked Image from shop.williamsgunsight.com]

Edited to add: Boy that sure is a big picture.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Before I ended up here I lived in northern Florida for 13 years. Never shot a gator, but they work just fine on deer. 😁

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Congrats on your 45-70!

I've currently got mine set up with XS ghost ring sights.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A friend of mine from the UK enjoying some American style freedom,

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter

What the heck do you use a 45-70 on in Florida. I would use it on gators, snakes and sharks, they scare crap out of me.

I don't hunt in Florida, except for the errant hog or varmint that strays into the neighborhood. I do hunt lots of hogs and deer up at the lease in Georgia, but I am planning an eventual escape when I retire either to our place in PA and we are looking at property near Cour D' Alene. Lot of options for this neat rifle, but in the end, I guess I'm just another rifle nut. smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

C'mon out West...you'll be comfortably armed.

PA has got some good-sized bears, too.

Had a mountain lion/cougar/puma prowling my campsite in the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington last week. It was snarling and pissed off about something.

Had my SBL loaded with some 380gr Lehigh WFN in the tent and a .480Ruger SBH.......went back to sleep.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used mine on deer, black bear, and pig.

I've changed loads and sighting systems on this rifle more so than any other rifle I've owned. Low power fixed and variables, Williams FP, reflex sights, heavy hardcast, real heavy hardcast, and light jacketed bullets, all styles and weights that I tried were run at trapdoor pressure to max Marlin loads.

I've narrowed my preferences to either the Williams FP or a 1-4X20 variable. Loads I've come to like and trust are a 436 grain LBT at 1679 fps, and the Speer Unicor (Plinker) at 1900 fps. If forced to choose one setup, I'd go 1-4 variable and the cast bullet load, it'll shoot through anything on this side of the ocean.

Here it is with a Vortex Venom, a setup I felt ideally suited to close-in pig hunting.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Deer hunting with a 2.5X Ultralight, a damn good setup for this type of hunting though I've come to prefer the FOV and eyebox of a 1-4 VX-2.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Right now it has the Williams FP on it. That system has some compromises, but the rifle is relatively light in the hands with that setup, the tradeoff for the time you gain with a scope.

Last edited by Vic_in_Va; 10/29/20. Reason: speeling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

436gr. You've got the "biggies for the piggies"!

Liking the furniture.

My biggest are 420s at 1700fps for undocumented Canadian bears within a mile or two of the Washington/B.C border.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried some 536s at 1550 fps. Somewhere out there is a bullet still plowing through crap. God those things penetrate!

I think the trajectory of the 436s gave it an advantage in all-around usefulness.

I did try some CastPerformance 420s, they shot pretty good. I am not quite on board with their "dry" lube. Afraid it will lead the bore.

Thanks for the compliment on the furniture. That's a set of plain Brockman's Rifles stocks, very good design that favors scopes and really makes a difference in felt recoil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm suspecting you had full penetration with those 420s at that speed.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
nice rig!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MontanaMarine, those XSs really clean up the lines of the rifle compared to a Williams FP. I have given them much consideration, and I must say they do preserve the looks of your rifle.

Though completely functional, the FP on my rifle kinda reminds me of a wart on a pretty girl. Not so with the XS.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
MontanaMarine, those XSs really clean up the lines of the rifle compared to a Williams FP. I have given them much consideration, and I must say they do preserve the looks of your rifle.

Though completely functional, the FP on my rifle kinda reminds me of a wart on a pretty girl. Not so with the XS.

The XS are a clean look.

When I installed them, the front sight was taller, and I had to run the rear sight up a good ways to get zero'd. It looked kind of odd. So I carefully filed down the front sight and hit it with one of those bluing touch-up pens. Got the rear sight almost at the bottom. Left a little bit of 'down' in case it might be needed for another load.

The big ghost ring is fast, and it's not bad for accuracy, 3" or so at 100 yards. I set it up to be more of a defensive gun for bears etc, so I wanted it fairly light and quick to aim. Great setup for that.

I did shoot it initially with a Leupold 1.5-5x20, on a Warne 20 moa rail. Very nice setup as well.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The Warne rail is steel, and adds some weight. The reason I chose it, was that it would allow me to mount the scope far enough forward, to keep the hammer easily accessible. With the generous eye-relief of that scope, it worked well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Want to add a GBL and 1895G to the collection.

C'mon Ruger!

Springtime?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good looking rifle, and everything has a purpose

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Woody (FlyBoyFlem) cast some 425gr bullets and this is the first group using 37gr of IMR4198 @1740 fps. 100 yds w a Leupold (the horror) 4X. I welcome any other loads you guys might have.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice. I sold my first year Guide Gun to Roger here after I bought my Browning M71 Carbine.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Slicked up cowboy 45-70 with Wild West trigger and action job.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I sorta liked this look, but eyeballs said so with glass.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had a gunsmith add holes on the side of my 45-70 and mounted steel Lyman aperture sight on it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.