Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
my opinion , for what it is worth,,,,,,,,,,I would choose other than ballistic tips for fragile cats.......I think the solid base will tend to punch on thru and give you exit holes

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by MOGC
The best for hides is a 12 gauge. A properly choked and patterned shotgun with lead BB or better yet TSS #2's is a killer that the fur buyer or taxidermy guy can't complain about.

I just ordered some Hevi-Shot Tungsten #2 and a Turkey (extra full) extended choke in 20 gauge. The options in this area for 20 are much more limited than 12 and I think I did the best I could. Turkey chokes are usually designed and tested for smaller size shot. I'll just have to see how it patterns with the #2. My intention is bobcat, and red and grey fox. No coyote. 20 ga because it's what I have and prefer for quail and chukar.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Given a decent pattern it should do a good job for you. I assume a 3" 20 gauge load? I wonder how many #2 pellets are in that load?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well, I was hoodwinked by the deceitful Hevi propaganda. What I thought I bought was tungsten, because it's advertised as tungsten, says "tungsten" right on the box. I think they sprinkle it with tungsten fairy dust, because it's actually lower density than lead. I paid $33 a box for what is probably a little better than a steel waterfowl load. I'm kind of an ignoramus when it comes to the shotgun market. I used to load my own on a Mec and then just quit shotgunning for a long time. I don't think I could make 20 gauge work well past about 35 yards unless I load my own (that Mec's been gone for almost 30 years), because commercially, there are duck loads and then #3 Buck (with too few pellets) and nothing in-between.

It sort of makes sense because not many people are going to choose 20 ga for swans or even geese, and for fox and bobcat, you'd want something like a swan load but without the handicap of steel. On the other hand, people shooting predators aren't going to want to pass up Coyotes, and 20 gauge just isn't going to have the pellet size and count for those bigger and tougher dogs even if it could be made to work for the fox and cat.

While I see the value of a 12 gauge for all kinds of predators including bobcat, I don't have one already and I'd be reluctant to buy one for that purpose given the range is still limited to something less than 100 yards. Instead, I could get a rifle in a cartridge suitable for predators that would make all those shots between 70 and 200 yards quite practical. Really, it's not limited to that range, but just thinking of all the opportunities that come in at those ranges, it's a lot to miss out on. On the other hand, I have no opportunities for a gun that I don't have.

Last edited by Western_Juniper; 11/16/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Spent many years experimenting shooting 22 centerfires in "wet paper" media, water jugs, chunks of meat to help figure out what was a good bullet for fur varmints....then took them to the field and shot coyotes, fox, coons and cats....found out quick stay away from any bullet that has a heavy copper base ....under 2800 fps is maximum velocity that's needed....lighter weight bullets are better if you stay off bone on entrance....

Speer 50 gr. "TNT" hollow point....keep them under 2800 fps ....rare to get one to exit...

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
First, some praise for Targetsportsusa for canceling that Hevi shot order. They created the shipping label at 6AM but open at 9AM and took my call then. They said it was too late -- can't blame them, it was basically already shipped. But then I saw a few days later they did cancel it. Someone took the extra effort to pull the box out of their pile for UPS pickup and I was refunded.

Again, this was basically my misunderstanding that Hevi-X Tungsten #2 loads would be good for bobcat etc. but in fact, they're lighter than lead, and such low-density #2 won't carry the momentum to penetrate a cat very far.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Lately, I've been working on a 357 load for cats, fox and even coyote. My first choice is 125 grain Remington Golden Saber bullets for 38 Special. Even at 900 fps these things blow up real well and stop in 12 inches of gel. I'm loading them to 1300 fps for trajectory and to try to overexpand them and stop them shorter. A coyote might stop them but I'm anticipating a good chance of exits on cats and fox. I have about 1000 of them leftover from years ago. Most of my 357 bullets are heavier and designed to penetrate big game. With these GS loads, I'm getting a 1-inch group at 25 yards (using a red dot), 2 inches at 50 yards, but they start to drift in a little breeze before 100 yards. I think the G1 BC is 0.118. I can tighten up the vertical with a different powder and trickling, but there's not much I can do about the low-velocity, low-BC wind drift other than hold. I set a 65 yard zero and I'm good for a 75 yard MPBR.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw one just off the parking lot at the Woodman boat ramp on 133 last night. They just re-opened the season in Illinois a while back. Had been closed for decades and I've never shot one.

They are way more plentiful 80 or 100 miles north of me.

Luck on your hunt

Last edited by johnw; 12/06/20.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Love my 17 FB XP-100 handgun, and killed a couple with it no big exits--25 V-Max @ 3350.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5shot
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by huntsman22
17 HMR or Hornet.....

No and no.......

Incorrect...the Hornet is kind of the gold standard for Fox and Bobcat. 17 HMR, 22 Mag and similar are where it's at with thin skinned little critters.

I called a red fox to about 70yds. It was hunkered down looking my way. I shot it low in the chest with a 22mag using Winchester 40gr JHP. Small exit between hind legs.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I switched to a .17 mag last year. Extremely happy with the results on cats an coyotes. That’s here in northern MN, where distances are tighter. I’ll be running it out west shortly.
This gun likes the 25 grain the best. Wonderful light truck gun.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Which .17 mag? HMR? or WSM?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Which .17 mag? HMR? or WSM?

would like to know also.......bob

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Update on the cat hunt......

Early November I made a trip to the upper reaches of the state in the north west corner, where the majority of the cat kills come from. There was still remnants of the previous foot of snow on the ground. Hunted 4 days, with 2 of them having high wind warnings. With the following day's forecast of more wind I cut my losses, and headed for home.

Hunting consisted mostly of walking timber land roads and the closed snowmobile trails, and hoping to call one to the road. Found some tracks, along with wolf. Most sets were an hour at a time, calling continually. I did try in some more open spots, or as open as could be expected in the National Forest, but no takers.

Three pics of what I was up against:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

With the season winding down & closing on the 25th of December, the weather looked to be cooperative the week prior, so I went back up to a different area of the National Forest. Again, I concentrated on the snowmobile trails and the Wisconsin Ice Age trail, which is a foot traffic only trail that winds through the NF, & is open to hunting.

Hunt Central........$37.00 a night, tax included
grin

Any"opening" that looked promising, I gave it a go, but results were the same.

One afternoon, I made it back 1 1/2 miles, and found a marshy open spot. Decided to sit extra long, as there wasn't enough time left to get in another set. I sat & called for 85 minutes, and just when I quit & started packing up, a guy behind started talking. WTF? He had drove his ATV in from the other direction to cut wood, when he heard the Foxpro, he stayed behind me for an hour watching the show. I'm sure that didn't help my chances.....

The setup:

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Followed one trail way the hell back till it fizzled into a game trail, & found this spot that looked promising, even had cat tracks on the ice. High hopes drifted away with the light......

And the view just to my right where I was sitting:

Got a couple more inches of snow one night, which covered any old tracks:

The lone highlight of the trip was on this set:

I had set the Foxpro out about 40 yards, got set up and turned it loose. I had been there for 24 minutes, and when I glanced to my right, a coyote was standing there, staring at the Foxpro. Shlt....now what? Shoot him & screw up the set, or sit tight and enjoy the show? Flock that....bird in the hand......

He moved a few yards closer, and when he went behind a tree, I moved the tripod. He then made it to the the edge of the "trail", and decided he didn't like the situation, and started to leave. I let out a little whistle, he stopped broadside, I held just behind the shoulder, and touched it off....BOOM! He took off like a raped ape and outta sight.....

I gave him a few minutes, and got on his exit tracks. Only a few little specks of blood here & there that you would never see w/o the snow. He made it 60-70 yards, and I found him piled up. A little blood had dribbled out of the entrance hole, and there was no exit. Shot was maybe 30 yards. We'll never know if my reduced load would have been fur friendly on a cat, but it maybe shows a little promise based on this one example.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice country aalf.

Did it ever occur to you to call some of the state land along the Wisconsin River?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the same luggage.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well aalf, I will give you A for effort. Nice pics and good to see you got a "brush wolf".

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Did it ever occur to you to call some of the state land along the Wisconsin River?

I figured I had several years to go before drawing a tag, so I was surprised to get mine in the mail this year. When applying, I never really put much thought into it.

So once in hand, I started researching dates and areas. Come to find out, the state is divided in half at highway 64 for the north/south zones. Plus, there is a split season, Oct 17th through Dec 25th, then the 26th through the end of Jan. I drew 1st season in the northern zone, which come to find out, is the easiest to draw.

Despite not scoring, I gave it a decent effort, & had a good hunt. Early on, I was wishing I had drawn around here, but if I were given a tag tomorrow, I'd get the same again.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 16 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.