Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The spar varnish is also part urethane I believe. I like it because I prefer the dark finish and the durability of it.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/20/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Minwax Helsman Spar Varnish with a touch of good Tung oil from an artist shop as Art explains.

This can be a really great finish if applied properly but I don't use it much for one simple reason that is strictly personal- for the most part Varnishes give a very amber tone to everything you put them on. And over time they will darken. My personal preference has always to finish wood as natural as possible, especially highly figured wood. I find that Truoil , and lately Water based Urethane give a more natural color and look to the wood and leave the natural colors. I did a Fiddleback Maple stock recently and really wanted to keep it as light as possible so I sealed it with several coats of water based Urethane. then after sanding I applied Truoil to get a smooth finish and ended up with just the color I wanted. For some reason, no matter how hard I tried those spray cans of Urethane simply would not go on smooth and even so I had to build it up layer after layer until the wood was sealed, then switch over to Truoil for the surface finish and gloss...

Bob

I agree, the water-based urethane is nearly blue and will not yellow. The spray cans are tough to get right. Thinning it way down and shooting it with an HVLP gun works very well. Another tip when using them is to get Norton Nor-Zon sandpaper. It is blue and is far better than other sandpaper for the purpose.

Thanks for the tip on the Nor Zon paper Art... what do you thin the water based Urethane with?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
To me, wood is a traditional material that calls for a traditional finish. That would be BLO or Tru Oil. I would also wax it after finishing it with oil. Canauba wax or Rennaisance Wax, both of which are just a temporary protectant. To me, this is the way stocks should look. Sealing them and polishing them to high gloss does not appeal to my senses. Obviously, these traditional finishes are not state-of-the-art for protection and carefree service. For that, I would take a synthetic stock.

I also think it's important to recognize that we're talking about a DIY job here. If I was buying a Purdey or H&H, I would be glad to let them decide how to finish it and I think I would be happy with their decision.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=Western_Juniper]To me, wood is a traditional material that calls for a traditional finish. That would be BLO or Tru Oil. I would also wax it after finishing it with oil. Canauba wax or Rennaisance Wax, both of which are just a temporary protectant. To me, this is the way stocks should look. Sealing them and polishing them to high gloss does not appeal to my senses. Obviously, these traditional finishes are not state-of-the-art for protection and carefree service. For that, I would take a synthetic stock.
quote]

After finish is cured, the high gloss can be buffed/rubbed/ polished down to about whatever sheen someone desires.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Minwax Helsman Spar Varnish with a touch of good Tung oil from an artist shop as Art explains.

This can be a really great finish if applied properly but I don't use it much for one simple reason that is strictly personal- for the most part Varnishes give a very amber tone to everything you put them on. And over time they will darken. My personal preference has always to finish wood as natural as possible, especially highly figured wood. I find that Truoil , and lately Water based Urethane give a more natural color and look to the wood and leave the natural colors. I did a Fiddleback Maple stock recently and really wanted to keep it as light as possible so I sealed it with several coats of water based Urethane. then after sanding I applied Truoil to get a smooth finish and ended up with just the color I wanted. For some reason, no matter how hard I tried those spray cans of Urethane simply would not go on smooth and even so I had to build it up layer after layer until the wood was sealed, then switch over to Truoil for the surface finish and gloss...

Bob

I agree, the water-based urethane is nearly blue and will not yellow. The spray cans are tough to get right. Thinning it way down and shooting it with an HVLP gun works very well. Another tip when using them is to get Norton Nor-Zon sandpaper. It is blue and is far better than other sandpaper for the purpose.

Thanks for the tip on the Nor Zon paper Art... what do you thin the water based Urethane with?

Bob

Uhhhh... water! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
To me, wood is a traditional material that calls for a traditional finish. That would be BLO or Tru Oil. I would also wax it after finishing it with oil. Canauba wax or Rennaisance Wax, both of which are just a temporary protectant. To me, this is the way stocks should look. Sealing them and polishing them to high gloss does not appeal to my senses. Obviously, these traditional finishes are not state-of-the-art for protection and carefree service. For that, I would take a synthetic stock.

I also think it's important to recognize that we're talking about a DIY job here. If I was buying a Purdey or H&H, I would be glad to let them decide how to finish it and I think I would be happy with their decision.

BLO as purchased wherever you would buy it is the absolute dregs of the industry and has no application on stocks. It has driers added to make sure it dries, but inhibitors added to give it more than a week of shelf life. The combination is a bad thing. Plain oil with driers added as you use it is very good stuff and entirely different from BLO.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Gunsav'r Satin on top of Herters French Red grain filler is pretty much the standard of the gunsmithing colleges. No big learning curve or crazy labor expenditure of the old finishes.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Gunsav'r Satin on top of Herters French Red grain filler is pretty much the standard of the gunsmithing colleges. No big learning curve or crazy labor expenditure of the old finishes.

I have not heard of any standard and virtually every time and place I have asked has produced different answers.

And no satin or matte finishes should ever be used on a stock. To achieve the surface they add ground silica. If matte they use more and coarser sand. It makes the finish cloudy and weakens it. It also reduces frank water resistance.

And it is so easy to make test boards.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.