A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Smith Model 19 put through the Gauntlet:

How about the 1911?

Maybe you should just carry a Glock?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I watched it yesterday, as I subscribe to MAC. I was thinking about posting it here, too.

PS There has never been any doubt that most autos (speaking of those adopted by large departments and/or militaries) are far less vulnerable to mud and sand than revolvers. When folks said revolvers are more reliable, they meant those revolvers that are properly maintained, clean, etc., and from the draw. A properly functioning, clean, revolver, loaded with quality ammo, drawn from the holster and fired was, for a very long time in US history, more likely to get through the cylinder without a hitch than was an auto pistol likely to get through a full mag. With modern autos, however (post-1980), that's not the case. Modern autos (those adopted by large departments and/or militaries), under those conditions, are about the same as revolvers in that regard now.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I watched it yesterday, as I subscribe to MAC. I was thinking about posting it here, too.

PS There has never been any doubt that most autos (speaking of those adopted by large departments and/or militaries) are far less vulnerable to mud and sand than revolvers. When folks said revolvers are more reliable, they meant those revolvers that are properly maintained, clean, etc., and from the draw. A properly functioning, clean, revolver, loaded with quality ammo, drawn from the holster and fired was, for a very long time in US history, more likely to get through the cylinder without a hitch than was an auto pistol likely to get through a full mag. With modern autos, however (post-1980), that's not the case. Modern autos (those adopted by large departments and/or militaries), under those conditions, are about the same as revolvers in that regard now.

That pretty much says it all...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
short answer: NO

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That is what the Chicago cop in the elevator told me years back when I asked him why he had a revolver on each hip instead of a semi-auto something. For my .380, 9mm and .45 ACP then sure a semi-auto. For the .22 LR, .38 Special, .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum, nope. A revolver.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What the revolver test showed was not that they are unreliable but that they require a different corrective action drill.

Everyone knows that if a semi-auto fails the first thing to do is tap-rack-bang.

With a revolver it's simply rinse-shake-repeat...

wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
P.S. That test revolver is on gunbroker right now. Description says "Clean".

Although I don't know if that is a certification of its condition or a recommendation to the new owner. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, when talking pistol vs. revolver reliability most folks forget that revolver legendary reliability was earned when pistols came out and for period after until ammo quality became very good. In those days revolvers were indeed more reliable then pistols. During WWI if I was given a choice between 1911 (actually more correctly it was 1910) or Coit 1907 I would take the revolver every time. Today we can treat this concept as Americans say "Old Las Tale"? wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
this is all too funny.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Back in the day I taught Marines bound for embassy duty.

We were shooting S&W M19. Three common stoppages,

1 - broken hammer nose (firing pin). No immediate action for that...other than having a backup. It was an easy fix for the range armorer though.

2 - cylinder lockup from ejector rod backing out. Just need to check in often.

3 - cylinder lockup from unburned powder under ejector star, preventing full seating of the star. A by product of doing combat reloads with ammo that doesn't burn clean.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about how you measure reliability, but I've personally handled two Glock 19s with much more than 45,000 rounds through them. Both range guns, both fired much, cleaned little.

One gun that I know of from the local range finally had a cracked frame (gen 1 Glock 19) after an estimated 500,000 rounds. You read that right - they keep a log of gun rentals and estimated 100 rounds per rental. Sent back to Glock with a note on rounds fired and "what can we do to fix this?" Came back a new Glock 19, gen 4 and a note from Glock stating "let us know how this one holds up."

If I ever handled a revolver with that round count, I'm unaware of it.

In fact, I'm certain I never held a revolver with upwards of 5,000 rounds through it.

Of course, Jerry Miculek might have one or two.....I wonder how often he has to tune his revolvers up?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Back in the day I taught Marines bound for embassy duty.

We were shooting S&W M19. Three common stoppages,

1 - broken hammer nose (firing pin). No immediate action for that...other than having a backup. It was an easy fix for the range armorer though.

2 - cylinder lockup from ejector rod backing out. Just need to check in often.

3 - cylinder lockup from unburned powder under ejector star, preventing full seating of the star. A by product of doing combat reloads with ammo that doesn't burn clean.

I have experienced #3.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Forgive my ignorance of things Glock. What was up with the water failure? Marine cups, I think he said? WTH?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've had all sorts of failures from revolvers. I've had them lock up when they got hot. I've had pins vibrate out under recoil. I've had bullets in the cylinder pulled from recoil, jamming up the cylinder. I've had the ejector rod backing out. The latter defect was corrected by S&W by switching the direction they unscrew. I think that was fixed by the 1950s.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Forgive my ignorance of things Glock. What was up with the water failure? Marine cups, I think he said? WTH?

Water can get in the firing pin channel.
It acts like a shock absorber and slows the firing pin. Causes misfire.

Marine cups allow slop, so the water can be displaced.
But, that opens the channel if you blow a case.

They are used in guns meant for users that might immerse them.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Throw the ammo in the [bleep]...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would say as a very broad generalization that revolvers are more tolerant of neglect while autos are more tolerant of abuse.

Load a revolver and an auto and leave them in a sock drawer for 30 years with no maintenance. I would guess (just a guess) that the most revolvers would make it through a box of ammo with less trouble than most auto.

Load a revolver and an auto and throw them in the mud and sand and out of a helicopter and all the other stuff that all these ‘torture’ tests do and my guess is most autos would fare better than most revolvers.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by K1500
I would say as a very broad generalization that revolvers are more tolerant of neglect while autos are more tolerant of abuse.

Load a revolver and an auto and leave them in a sock drawer for 30 years with no maintenance. I would guess (just a guess) that the most revolvers would make it through a box of ammo with less trouble than most auto.

Load a revolver and an auto and throw them in the mud and sand and out of a helicopter and all the other stuff that all these ‘torture’ tests do and my guess is most autos would fare better than most revolvers.

Well said

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've handled some of those sock drawer revolvers whose internals had all but locked up from accumulated crud to the point where it was near impossible to pull the trigger double action. Some of them had sat in the drawer for a lot less than 30 years.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

I've handled some of those sock drawer revolvers whose internals had all but locked up from accumulated crud to the point where it was near impossible to pull the trigger double action. Some of them had sat in the drawer for a lot less than 30 years.

Those lock up ones where usually soaked in WD 40 or some silly thing though. And that would cause the same issue with a semi

Last edited by hikerbum; 11/20/20.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 3,012 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.