Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
couple of buddies and I that have been shooting 9 mm have no faith in the supply chain to keep our firearms fed in this caliber. We're thinking about starting up in the local tactical shotgun shoots. The thought is the 12 gauge will be the one thing that is available. Well, I should say that's the hope. The question is what shotgun? I'm not really that motivated to drop two grand on a Benelli tricked out. Yeah I can be talked into it, but I'm not there yet. What about the VR 80? Anyone out there do any tactical shotgun shooting? What are your thoughts.

Thank,
Pete

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
ARIC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might want to double check that ammo availability thing....only 12 gauge, or any gauge for that matter, available around me ( western N.C.) is steel shot waterfowl stuff, and not much of that!

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You’re gonna spend that much on a mag fed automatic before it’s all over.

If I were starting from scratch for a tactical shotgun I’d get a 21” M2 with a standard stock, a Nordic tube, XS rear sight in the rib, open up the loading port, weld the lifter, extended bolt release button and charging handle, and a modify the bolt to allow ghost loading.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just picked up a Beretta 1301 tactical Gen 2 (18 1/2”) added the nordic +2 extension, the Aridus stock adapter for the magpul stock, and am waiting for an Aridus CROM to come back in stock to co-witness an Aimpoint micro...

Roll Tide Roll, now lets go hunting!!!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I got a VR80, 2 five shot mags, a 9 shot and a 20 round drum (fun).

It was a little finicky at first, it definitely needs a break in period. I probably would of bought a Mossberg retro if I could of found one.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, then customize to your desires.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
What Modifications are most beneficial for the 870 and 500?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the 870, a good barrel, plus 2 mag extension, and upgraded sights are the first thing I'd change. Maybe the extractor too.

I bought the police walnut model with 18" IC barrel and tritium rifle sights. No complaints and haven't wanted anything more.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
L
L
Originally Posted by wareagle700
On the 870, a good barrel, plus 2 mag extension, and upgraded sights are the first thing I'd change. Maybe the extractor too.

I bought the police walnut model with 18" IC barrel and tritium rifle sights. No complaints and haven't wanted anything more.

This.
And you might want a cylinder bore barrel if you're going to shoot slugs.
870 and 500 are solid guns. You will be a little slower than semiauto.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Got a really custom 870 with the factory long mag and Mesa Tactical/Endine Hydraulic Buffer setup. It’s Cerakote with cylinder bore and even has a custom aluminum spacer for standard barrels. I’m planning to either Gunbroker it or list it to swap for a SxS 20 or 16 I can hunt with my kids with.

If it’s just a fun Gun/HD the tactical mag tube is nice since you don’t need an extension and it won’t hang up as I’m told extensions can. If you want a multipurpose I’d probably go with an 870 that has a standard mag and stock set so it’ll balance a little better if you hunt it.

Someone slicked up the feed, cone, and it feels like the trigger is as smooth as any shotgun I’ve tried so there’s options to upgrade an 870 anyway you like really. I may hang on to this one and track down a hunting gun. I’ve really come to appreciate the 870.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Had a Benelli SBE I believe or maybe a SBEIII if such a thing exists. Purpose built for Turkey and waterfowl I think but crude cycling, trigger, and felt like plastic. Sold it to a buddy cheap for mentoring Turkey hunters.

I’ve been interested in an FN Semi for a while. Think it’s the SLP so if you go that way would be interested in your thoughts.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For tactical games get an autoloader of some kind and extend mag and all the other stuff already recommended.

If your going HD, get a pump. But learn how to run it and don’t short stroke the thing.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'm partial to the Magpul SGA stock for combat shotguns. The typical shotgun LOP is more suited to wingshooting than combat/defensive use, so I prefer being able to tailor my stock to fit me while avoiding the "snagginess" of a full pistol grip. A slightly more vertical grip angle is more comfortable for me as well.

Beyond that, a good weapon light and sidesaddle shell carrier are pragmatic additions. For field use, I usually download my weapon by one, stoke the tube with 00, and keep two birdshot shells and two slugs in the sidesaddle. For snakes/small game and larger/further critters, respectively.

For a while when I didn't have the money for an AR, my defensive weapon was an 18" 12ga pump. I got good with it, learned to cast and load my own slugs, and overall made the most of what I had.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
523 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.