Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
If its cold outside.....you should be a little cold.....not freezing....but a little cold.

Keeps you thinking about the reality of your situation.

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Higginez
Merino or bust.

Minus 33 has been great.

yep and it don't stink after a day's use

Or a couple hours. I've gone to merino tops for that reason. I can still wear poly bottoms when I need the longjohns. Got the merino from Costco for $17 Per shirt. Exact same weight and quality as REI tops that were $80. Bastids!

Ive gotten lj from Costco, but the damn fly is up at the waist. My dong ain't attached up there. Freak design, IMO.

dude,

you're lucky if you can use a fly in long johns when it's cold enough to need them.

cold fingers and extra layers of clothes "down there" and I have to undue the belt to find things. shocked

It's like the cold on my face tells my junk, get up in there and stay warm, we may want to breed again someday. whistle

If the fly is where a fly is supposed to be, it works out just fine....for me anyway. And I've taken a whiz when it was cold enough I had to knock icicles off the unit before reeling it in. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And I've taken a whiz when it was cold enough I had to knock icicles off the unit before reeling it in. wink

That's nothing. One time, mine froze solid. Next morning some dude comes along and runs a flag up it. Thing was, his rope was too short and he could only get it halfway up.

All day long people were asking me who died.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don’t often need base layer stuff in Florida, but I have some. Cabelas and Gander Mountain. Works fine, though mine are at least 10 years old now.

Sam......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Under Armor is expensive because they’re worth it.

Merino works just as well but even the cheap stuff will have you at the same price point as UA.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Merino in light-mid weight if I'm hunting afoot. Heavy or Expedition weight fleece if I'm going to be stationary. In the coldest weather I wear "High Pile Fleece" from "Clam", the same company that makes portable ice-fishing shelters. They call this their "Sub-Zero" base layer. I call it my Gray Wookie Suit.

Wookie Suit

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
For long sits in the cold:

UA 4.0 Base layer.

X System Mid layer

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
90% off sale on Ralphie Bunny XL suits last year after Christmas.

Pound for pound the best money you can spend on long johns.

I cut off the ears of course.

Last edited by CashisKing; 11/19/20. Reason: Autocorrect typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For the last year, I've been wearing the SmartWool 250, which are 100% merino and not made in China.

They happen to be on sale right now at Backcountry.com. (30% off with free shipping)

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have woolpower stuff and older stuff is duofold. Woolpower is higher priced than UA. I bought most of mine on sale. But it is worth spending the money to be comfortable.
The plastic stuff I have tried stinks and isn't as warm.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Merino, merino, merino....

Very pleased with First Lite, worth every penny.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Minus33

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higginez
Merino or bust.

Minus 33 has been great.

Plus 1...A solid base layer for sure.

Pay attention to the weight of the item and match your activity level. Minus 33 has this info on-line.

Expedition weight for higher activity hunting versus a midweight or heavier for sitting more than moving around a lot.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you are active the primary function of base layers is to move moisture way from your skin. For me synthetics work best for this. Last year I tried a few item from Hanes line of synthetics and they work as well as my UA stuff. For serious cold I wear Ex Officio boxer briefs under mid weight merino for bottoms. I also have some performance Tees made by Baleaf that are excellent and like the Hanes 1/2 the price of UA.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I like Army surplus polypropropylene.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
And I've taken a whiz when it was cold enough I had to knock icicles off the unit before reeling it in. wink

That's nothing. One time, mine froze solid. Next morning some dude comes along and runs a flag up it. Thing was, his rope was too short and he could only get it halfway up.

All day long people were asking me who died.

Ha ha!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I mostly Use Minus 33, But did find about 3 years ago lined pants at Cabelas that have a merino wool lining., Plus they are very water resistant.

so if is minus degrees out side I were both.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

I mostly Use Minus 33, But did find about 3 years ago lined pants at Cabelas that have a merino wool lining., Plus they are very water resistant.

so if is minus degrees out side I were both.

A dumb troll who has Never been out of your house hunting a day in your life now you're suddenly a base layers expert? lmao

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Let me put it this way I hunted my home state almost every year since 1958. Joined Army went to Vietnam came back and hunted 2 years in Nevada.

Then moved to Michigan did not hunt for 3 years. Came back to my home stated and hunted in state and out of state for about 10 years. including

Nevada, the Utah, the Colorado for a total of about 15 years. Went to Iraq in 2003/2004, came back hunted in Colorado 4 more years. Went on a guide

hunt in Wyoming, lost both parents the next year. Went on a guided hunt in Colorado. The next year went back to Wyoming on a guided hunt. Following year

I drew a Buck deer tag in Colorado, hunted there. In 2018 I went to Alberta Canada and hunted moose, got my first moose. Did not hunt this year. The

border to Canada was closed. Well Ribka what have you done? I think I have hunted as much as anyone, some more but many less. So I think after

hunting more than 60 years I have formed a opinion. How many years of experience have you got?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i bought 25 pr of massif base layer tops and bottoms at a tssi inventory reduction sale a few weeks back. military and police issue. pants and shirts are 109.99 each at regulars price. i payed 2.00 each. they are nice.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.