Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I figure this is the best place to put this, since the gourmands hang out here.

We don’t often eat out, usually 2 or 3 times a month. Slavyanka and I both enjoy cooking but when Covid hit we stepped things up a notch and started cooking more challenging dishes. Much of it was because friends of ours became our “bubble” and, eating at each other’s place 2-3 times a week, it became a bit of a contest to see who could WOW the others with our food. This couple used to go out 5 times a week and Covid put a real crimp in that.

But once restaurants opened up again, we started going out like normal. And we’ve noticed that the food just doesn’t seem to have the same quality.

I know many restaurants have scaled back their menus but even the stuff they offer doesn’t measure up. Beyond that, though, the ingredients just don’t seem to be as good. I know the other couple doesn’t go out near as much as they used to and the husband has commented on how much money they save (they aren’t hurting for $$) and he says he just doesn’t enjoy the food as much as before.

I heard a report that food prices will rise 10% because of Covid. This will hit restaurants hard when they’re already dealing with reduced seating. If they go to even poorer quality food to save money, I don’t see how they can survive.

GB2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
I figure this is the best place to put this, since the gourmands hang out here.

We don’t often eat out, usually 2 or 3 times a month. Slavyanka and I both enjoy cooking but when Covid hit we stepped things up a notch and started cooking more challenging dishes. Much of it was because friends of ours became our “bubble” and, eating at each other’s place 2-3 times a week, it became a bit of a contest to see who could WOW the others with our food. This couple used to go out 5 times a week and Covid put a real crimp in that.

But once restaurants opened up again, we started going out like normal. And we’ve noticed that the food just doesn’t seem to have the same quality.

I know many restaurants have scaled back their menus but even the stuff they offer doesn’t measure up. Beyond that, though, the ingredients just don’t seem to be as good. I know the other couple doesn’t go out near as much as they used to and the husband has commented on how much money they save (they aren’t hurting for $$) and he says he just doesn’t enjoy the food as much as before.

I heard a report that food prices will rise 10% because of Covid. This will hit restaurants hard when they’re already dealing with reduced seating. If they go to even poorer quality food to save money, I don’t see how they can survive.

We don't eat out a lot, maybe 5-10 times a year....

It seems unless I spend 50$ a plate or more I'm disappointed. Unless specific prescouted Mexican joints. But this is pre- Rona...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe your paying more attention than you use to and change of your mindset.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Maybe your paying more attention than you use to and change of your mindset.

I don’t think that’s it. When I go out to eat, I make a habit of ordering dishes that I don’t make at home, just so I can experience something different.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
"Better a meal of herbs, than a stalled ox where hate abounds".

Close enough.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
when traveling i eat out, haven't be doin much of that

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Our favorite Mexican joint in town is even better than it used to be. My theory is their business is in the crapper and they are just happy to get some trade. I've been tipping the kids that wait on us well; I figure they need as much help as I can give them.

Added bonus, we are often the only couple in there. Win-win. We've been eating there a ton (too much, really).

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We lost a bunch of good local eateries secondary to this government horsechit. We been to several since July and have no complaints. The ones that were good, are still there.

I do love going out for a good steak or piece of fish with a martini.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Could be that the lead cooks or chefs have moved on?

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Could be that the lead cooks or chefs have moved on?

I know of two local places where that is exactly what happened. One is a "Comfort Food" diner joint and the other a Chinese place.

The diner slumped for a bit but whoever the replacement is now is cooking well, but a bit slow. I'm never in a hurry though. Short order cooking is not easy.

The Chinese place the food was so bad I'll not go back.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We love eating out when travelling.

Home town choice are poor.

We can cook better food ourselves, have a couple of libations & not have to worry about "plod" when driving home !

YMMV

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We've noticed the same thing, wbw. Our local Black Bear Diner (a Western chain) was great pre-'rona. They went to carry-out only for several months, and we'd get Sunday steak and eggs there every week. Takeout is never as good as dine-in so maybe we didn't notice a decline. When they re-opened with minimal seating, we were eager to go, but after the meal we both said it was not up the previous standards.

It's probably a multi-factor cause. Less food being ordered means food that's less fresh, then food sitting in the freezer longer, good cook staff leaving, and every possible corner cut to stay afloat.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Paul, Kuppers was a good sandwich place. We have not been there for years.(of course)

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Haven't observed that here but I mostly hit dive taquerias...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
But once restaurants opened up again, we started going out like normal. And we’ve noticed that the food just doesn’t seem to have the same quality

I had a chance to talk to the owner of one of our local places we like about the challenges (Pure Wine).

They have always had a small changing menu but he said some of the local places with big menus have realized that with the reduced volume they simply can't have everything on hand fresh nor do they have the staff to do the prep and such. The ones that he has seen keeping the quality up are the ones that have minimized their menu and focused on some key items.

We eat out perhaps 3-5 times a month if you count picking up a sandwich at the deli and unfortunately we've lost several higher end places we really liked. They mostly had food that wasn't suitable for takeout. Hopefully those voids will be filled but it would take an exceptional risk taker to open a restaurant now.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is a rare restaurant that can cook better than I can.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I'm decent and I enjoy the process. Doesn't mean I don't like to see what others can do occasionally.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This ^^^^^.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Paul, Kuppers was a good sandwich place. We have not been there for years.(of course)

Richard, John ran it into the ground, sold it, been 2 or 3 different owners since, either decent food, crap, service, or the polar opposite.

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs

I'm decent and I enjoy the process. Doesn't mean I don't like to see what others can do occasionally.

Completely agree with both sentiments.

As I said above, we love to eat out when we travel.

This is more about trying things we don't do at home !

As an easy example - Will never go to a high end streak house, but will look for something quirky !

Actually, really love "small share plate" places ! Typically high $ for not much food, but we can sample a variety of stuff, not available to us at home.

Internationally, we always chose, mom & pop, local cuisine - gotta sample "where you are at" !

Paul.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.