Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thinking about trying Brownells J lock replacement complete with shroud, firing pin, and spring with their bolt tool. Any thoughts as this is going on a Rem 700 Classic 223 and not a bench rest rifle. thx

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why? Had one since 2005 been on 2 hunts per year since. Never had an issue. Waste of money IMO.

Swifty
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
The last one I dealt with locked up on a hunt and we didn't have the key.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Remington J Lock was perhaps one of the worst ideas EVER !!!!!! glad it worked for swifty

gretan rifles is where you want to get your replacement, best quality at a fair price

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had one on my .17 Rem...it managed to blow a primer on a hunt, some tiny piece of metal went the wrong way and seized the whole works up. You better believe I replaced that j-lock crap as soon as I got home ( after finishing the hunt with another gun...)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting a j lock caused a blown primer? In no way could it have been a hot load causing too much bolt thrust that it blew something else up. Naw nobody has ever loaded like that. Sure am glad it wasn’t a zombie killer prairie dog that was charging you. As usual it always the guns fault.

Swifty
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Interesting a j lock caused a blown primer? In no way could it have been a hot load causing too much bolt thrust that it blew something else up. Naw nobody has ever loaded like that. Sure am glad it wasn’t a zombie killer prairie dog that was charging you. As usual it always the guns fault.

I don’t think he is saying the J lock caused the blown primer. Re read his post.

BTW, I think pacific tool and house sell replacements for the shroud, and firing pin, that will replace the J lock.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06

I don’t think he is saying the J lock caused the blown primer. Re read his post.

BTW, I think pacific tool and house sell replacements for the shroud, and firing pin, that will replace the J lock.

He said he blew a primer and something broke and froze the bolt. Changed the j lock, means he blamed the j lock for fugging up the rifle. Well I hate to tell you this but have seen 2 remmys non j lock with frozen bolts from hot loads.
1 guy was fugging dumb enough to enlarge the flash hole to get more velocity. 2nd shot froze the bolt so bad he broke the bolt handle off. Had to unscrew the barrel to clear it, never saw the rifle again. 2nd was at the smiths shop he had it in a barrel vise. Don’t know what happened with that one.
3rd rifle I saw freeze a bolt was a 6 PPC brand new Kreiger barrel on a Panda action. Fire forming loads with bullseye or blue dot. Used a bullet instead of COW. Toasted the action and barrel permanently but he did get 3 shots out of it. 2000.00 rifle gone.
Can’t blame the rifle for stupid.

Last edited by Swifty52; 11/08/20.

Swifty
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Swifty52: I think YOU are confused!
Mr. Ingwe had a blown primer that sent fragments into the "J" lock - the "J" lock did not go seeking trouble it complicated a situation that occurs sometimes!
I have seen MANY blown primers in Remington 700's, 722's, 721's, 40-X's and the like, over the last 61 years I have been reloading, and those blown primers did not render the Rifle inoperable.
I think you need to re-read Mr. Ingwe's posting?
I have also seen a few Rifles rendered inoperable from "hot-loads" that did go well beyond being just a "blown-primer" situation.
Maybe you are talking about two different things?
I try to avoid "J' lock Remington Rifles like the plague - I do have two of them (out of the MANY dozens of Remington bolt guns I own!), but I obtained those on the used market at give-away prices.
I think it interesting that the "J" lock bolts in addition to being aesthetically horrible also further complicate things by showing Mr. Ingwe's example of "weakness".
Mr. Ingwe's example gives me impetus (once again!) to spend the money and finally get those two "J" locks replaced on my Rifles.
Life is to short to Hunt and shoot with fugly guns.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by dale06

He said he blew a primer and something broke and froze the bolt. Changed the j lock, means he blamed the j lock for fugging up the rifle. Well I hate to tell you this but have seen 2 remmys non j lock with frozen bolts from hot loads.
1 guy was fugging dumb enough to enlarge the flash hole to get more velocity. 2nd shot froze the bolt so bad he broke the bolt handle off. Had to unscrew the barrel to clear it, never saw the rifle again. 2nd was at the smiths shop he had it in a barrel vise. Don’t know what happened with that one.
3rd rifle I saw freeze a bolt was a 6 PPC brand new Kreiger barrel on a Panda action. Fire forming loads with bullseye or blue dot. Used a bullet instead of COW. Toasted the action and barrel permanently but he did get 3 shots out of it. 2000.00 rifle gone.
Can’t blame the rifle for stupid.

Did your school not teach reading comprehension?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor

That's the fix I used.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I too used Gretan parts to remedy my 7 mm mag 700 .

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Gretan on the way and they were nice enough to even return an email this past sunday even tho Greg was away hunting. That is customer service, and I have run a business myself for 42 yrs.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Impressed with the quality of the Gretan wart remover and Brownells bolt tool.

Attached Images
nice quality.jpg (35.25 KB, 241 downloads)
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
you're welcome !!!!

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
A bit sleeker now and no drag with the new Gretan pin/spring. 700 Classic 223. Now which trigger to install?

Attached Images
cleaned up.jpg (32.77 KB, 216 downloads)
Last edited by Dusty246; 11/19/20.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Is this an easy swap? Have a couple Id like to convert but don’t want to botch it....
If easy what’s approx cost of tools vs dropping at gunsmiths to be done? Thx

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Simple job Kleinendorst Rem/Bolt removal tool $40 from Brownells. #488-001-00. Or send your bolt to Gretan and they will install it free.

Last edited by Dusty246; 12/05/20.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.