Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
BLG Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Speaking of influenza........did it just disappear? (rhetorical)

Does a positive covid 19 test mean you have covid or could it mean a positive for influenza? Both are "corona" viruses, correct?

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The "tests" are another bad joke......................

45% false positives

Not COVID-19 specific

What more could you want?

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe leeches and coffee enemas next?

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well, duh.. At some point, probably 97% of us all will get this crap.. I just got the "positive" test results.. Got it from my wife, who got it from her surgeon.. It happens.. She's fairly sick with bi-lateral pneumonia + the virus.. Was in the hospital about three days, but home now.. I feel absolutely normal.. But for safety of others, I closed the shop until Nov. 30..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Someone said that this small study doesn’t mean [bleep]. A study of 300 is a small study. A study of almost 5000 people is a large study and significant. The difference between mask and non mask wearers contraction is less than three percent. Again significant because the margin of error covers the different. If you want to eat [bleep] and call it candy you are free to do so.

If you call eating [bleep] normal you are an idiot. If you read this article and still believe that masks will save you from contracting this virus you are an idiot. Wearing a mask is akin to wearing a pantyhose as a condom.

Last edited by IZH27; 11/19/20.
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The authors of the study discuss that it doesn't mean what you say it does. You'd know that if you read it.

Stop getting your conclusions from biased third parties.

I'm not even trying to convince you that masks work, or don't. I'm just trying to convince you to read the evidence for yourself.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bump

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Phuque a bunch of masks.....I do not wear one, ever!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Do you wear a mask so people don't have to smell the BULLSHlT coming out of your mouth?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by MTDan
The authors of the study discuss that it doesn't mean what you say it does. You'd know that if you read it.

Stop getting your conclusions from biased third parties.

I'm not even trying to convince you that masks work, or don't. I'm just trying to convince you to read the evidence for yourself.

Please tell us where you are finding unbiased information.

Breathing goes both ways through a mask. The idea of protecting others from disease by filtering your cough is laughable. They don't sell stocking net condoms for a reason. Catching large particles is not the issue with a mask. You keep eating your candy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by IZH27
Someone said that this small study doesn’t mean [bleep]. A study of 300 is a small study. A study of almost 5000 people is a large study and significant. The difference between mask and non mask wearers contraction is less than three percent. Again significant because the margin of error covers the different. If you want to eat [bleep] and call it candy you are free to do so.

If you call eating [bleep] normal you are an idiot. If you read this article and still believe that masks will save you from contracting this virus you are an idiot. Wearing a mask is akin to wearing a pantyhose as a condom.

Well said sir!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The study itself is good, though limited, evidence. My problem isnt with the study, it's with the federalist twisting the conclusions of the study to make it seem more definitive and far reaching than it is. It tested wearing paper masks to protect the wearer in an environment where wearing masks wasnt common. The authors acknowledge the parameters of the study, and warn against making the exact claims the federalist does because the evidence doesn't support them.

You're looking for ANY evidence to support what you want to be true (or believe you know to be true). Its called confirmation-bias.

Read the studies, not the blogs!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MTDan
Did you read the study, or just trust some blogger to tell you what it says and give some cherry-picked quotes?

This is in the authors discussion:
"The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection."

The goal of masks is source control of the infected, not to protect the wearer. This small study with only a <2% infection rate in either arm doesn't prove schit.

Masks may indeed be totally ineffective, but READ THE STUDY before you claim to have proven that.

This blind trust of partisan blogs to digest the news and spoon feed you conclusions is disgusting.

You're an idiot.

Quote from the article

"Dr. Christine Laine, editor-in-chief of the Annals of Internal Medicine, where the study is published, told The New York Times the research shows masks “are not a magic bullet.” In an article, Laine and other editors defended the journal’s decision to publish the study despite pushback.

This is what we are all saying, nothing more nothing less.

If you are wearing the mask with the expectation that you will not get C-19 BECAUSE your are wearing the mask, then you are under a misguided expectation.

And people wearing a mask alone in their car or outside, 100 yards from the nearest living being are not wearing masks to protect others.....................they are wearing them with the expectation that they are being protected.

So FO&D.

MM

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
You're twisting the facts as well. "Not a magic bullet" does not mean "have no effect at all." They're just part of a public health strategy to reduce transmission.

Yes, wearing a mask alone makes no sense, and the masks some people choose and the way they wear them are obviously ineffective. I've never argued otherwise.

My point is that being spoon-fed conclusions by secondary sources doesn't give the whole picture, and news blogs have an agenda. Many of you look past that because it aligns with your beliefs.

I'm open to research that shows they're garbage. I hope it exists because it sucks to wear one all day, but that study isnt it.

Best to you and yours
Dan

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.