Great writeup Beav!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Great report Beav, really enjoyed reading it....

That is why I gave up hunting elk...i can't stand all the rain, or being out in it.. and then folks from back east have no clue what the word STEEP is...any mountains on the east coast, are like being in Kansas, compared to the PNW....and then the thickness of the vegetation, is like being in the Vietnam jungle.......

I got enough elk in the yard at times, if I had a Can on the end of the barrel, I could shoot while sitting on a lawn chair on the porch...but I only use a camera for that kind of Shooting....

you sir are a boat load hardier than I am any more...

I've been in that rough stuff and it was exhilarating, but I wasn't that adventuresome to try and pull in an elk, 500 yds or more up hill....and down this way, it always appears to me that Elk Hunting in Southern Oregon, is guys road hunting, idling down a FS Road, with their diesel clattering, like they were going to sneak up on an elk, along with head to toe camo, sitting in the front seat of the pickup, with the camo interior seat covers...

Funniest I ever saw, was hunting up out of Butte Falls, and here were two older guys, who had shot a spike bull in the middle of the forest service road.. they were trying to figure what to do about getting the elk into the trunk of their car....CA plates on a Cadillac, which belonged to the wife, painted in Mary Kay Pink....Wife had won it evidently 5 to 7 years earlier in a Mary Kay Contest for being a Top Sales Person...I wished them well...if they'd been Oregon guys, I might of helped out.. but then again, they really weren't even sure how to gut it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
The intermountain west is challenging in different ways than the coast is for sure....it is drier thank god....but the snakes in the southwest, bears in the US North Rockies and the possibility of hotter weather anywhere makes each area have its own issues....the pointy and sticky plants of the SW compare every bit to Devil's Club on the NW coast IMO....and plants are a non-issue in MT, WY and ID other than some prickly pear. Some of the distances a guy has to hike in these states can make up for the lack of pointy plants though. Beav has mentioned walking in 3 miles down a gated road to his spots....I am used to walking at least that far without a nice road to walk down, or even a trail.

That's one thing I like about this forum vs many others.....the diversity of hunting areas to hear about, and where to apply next to experience as much as I can.

Good stuff!

Me and bud did the draw party hunt for afognak next year.. hopefully we draw.

I don’t know much, but I’d wager Ted’s butt puller that Afognak is in the top 3 of difficult hunts for elk anywhere.

You’re on a good streak for draws. Hope you hit the tag.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My painting partner’s family cleaned house on these 4 bulls opening day that were running together.

His extended family got 3 more bulls opening morning for a total of 7.

His boy took the 6x

😎

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
The intermountain west is challenging in different ways than the coast is for sure....it is drier thank god....but the snakes in the southwest, bears in the US North Rockies and the possibility of hotter weather anywhere makes each area have its own issues....the pointy and sticky plants of the SW compare every bit to Devil's Club on the NW coast IMO....and plants are a non-issue in MT, WY and ID other than some prickly pear. Some of the distances a guy has to hike in these states can make up for the lack of pointy plants though. Beav has mentioned walking in 3 miles down a gated road to his spots....I am used to walking at least that far without a nice road to walk down, or even a trail.

That's one thing I like about this forum vs many others.....the diversity of hunting areas to hear about, and where to apply next to experience as much as I can.

Good stuff!

Me and bud did the draw party hunt for afognak next year.. hopefully we draw.

I am in for both SW Afognak and Raspberry elk. My Afognak bull from a couple years ago is one of my top 3 proudest trophies.
Those hunts will test you mentally every bit as much as physically. If you do draw Afognak, PM me.

I'll meet ya at the Cave in Delta and start beating you with a devil's club branch and waterboarding you, with a bag over your head filled with fungus gnats and dime sized mosquitos. It'll be good training for that hunt. Then you can buy me a beer. You'll thank me....

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeebus, if this hunt wasn't voluntary I'd feel bad for ya! LOL If I tried that they'd have to start a Go-Fund-Me for my medical expenses. You guys got more piss an vinegar in one finger than I got left in my whole body by this time each year. Well done.

On the other hunters, that's the reason I don't rifle elk hunt Oregon anymore. No desire to play that "what's everyone else going to do" game. Also why I seek out seclusion when I hunt. I rarely see another boot print most anyplace I go. I'm just barely smart enough to figure out game that isn't being pushed hard. I definitely suck at elk hunting when other people are factored in.

LOL
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,271
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.