-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am considering buying a target camera. Why? There are a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I am a technology guy and am genuinely interested. They look useful and cool. Second, I have good spotting scopes; however, getting beyond 250 to 300 yards, bullet holes are difficult to see, at least for me. I know, I know, we have members here who have the vision of the bionic man. I accept that so let's not debate that here. I, as I assume are others, am interested in getting one and would like to rely on some input and opinions of others who have used one/some. To eliminate question that may derail this, personally, I'm just looking for something simple myself. By simple I mean the ability to view hits on target and, possibly, to record either stills or maybe vide. Other options and capabilities would just be a bonus. So, what have you used? What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm using the older target vision.
Its the uhd 1200 yard.model.
I typically use it at 500 yards. My tablet is a galaxy 7.
It comes in a pelican case with the camera unit receiver and two short trypods.
When I first started with it a couple of years ago the biggest problem I had was keeping the connection.
It kept dropping the signal. Very annoying.
You have to pay close attention on how you line it up. When you line up the camera. You do your best to make sure the back of the unit is squared up and pointing at the bench. Same with the reciver. The better the job you do the better the connection.
I Don't use the short trypods anymore. Have two full size trypods. Both units are over 4 feet off the ground. It helped with dropping the signal.
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the thing pretty much everytime I test at 500. The more you use it the better the quicker you get at setting it up.
The features of the unit are helpful. You can number each shot or move the group around on paper with your scope and then number each group.
Saving a picture of the target is two button pushes. Not hard to keep track of where your at at all.
The blinking mode works ok but you have to touch the thing for every shot. I typically shoot clean paper everytime so I Don't get much use of it
You can measure your group at distance. But you need something of a known distance pasted on your target to calibrate it. I have played with it and it works. Usually dont take the time.
I find it to be a very useful tool.
Dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for your input Dave. There must not be much love for these systems on this forum. I just had to try one out after seeing someone utilize one last month. I decided to give the Caldwell Long Range version a shot. We'll see how I like it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most guys Don't shoot groups at 500 or beyond

Dave

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm

Dave

True. I don't very often; but, even at 300 yards my bullet holes are tough to see with my spotter. Heck, I'm a technology guy and maybe this is just one of those itches that needs scratched. The whole concept is intriguing and appealing. We'll see how it goes.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We typically set up targets at 200yd - 300yd -400yd at the same time while developing loads for various rifles. The cameras work great but can (obviously) only be set up in one place at a time. We went back to using a quality, high power spotting scope which easily covers all three locations with a slight swivel on the tri-pod.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dave7mm

Dave

Thats where steel has its advantages. I'll shoot groups on occasion at 500 yards on paper, but if you have steel targets of varying sizes, they are sufficient if you can spot your hits. Just got to go down range and paint them on occasion. I built a tree that has targets that range from 2" diameter to 12" diameter. When you hit a steel plate, you can hear it and see it, if the targets are clean when you start.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Tagging for info

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Should look into this
https://youtu.be/hoGRlS53U_k

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just asked my daughter if she could make these things work with my internet hot spot thing and the more I think about it the madder I get ALREADY.

She said to make sure I can "send it back" and my first thought was "I'll send it back with my FOOT"

I thought I wanted on of these a couple different times but I think I just changed my mind again.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got one of these about 6 months ago. It's still in the box.
I've had several other projects going on and haven't had a chance to try it out. It got decent reviews and it was on sale for a good price.

Target camera

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
S
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Thanks for your input Dave. There must not be much love for these systems on this forum. I just had to try one out after seeing someone utilize one last month. I decided to give the Caldwell Long Range version a shot. We'll see how I like it.

TheBigSky, I’m wondering if you like the Caldwell long range camera system? Looks like it’s pretty capable for out to 1000 yards at least.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.