Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I’ve been having them put my progressive section of my glasses a bit lower, and I noticed that they are now like a bi-focal where I have to raise my head a bit when looking at things that are almost dead ahead of me but close... which reminds me of grandpa.

How many of you guys still get bifocals vs. getting a progressive lenses with no line and is there any benefit or con with bifocals in your opinion.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

In the tradition of the 'fire, this doesn't deal with the question, but I was just in for my yearly exam and explained that there was no way that I was getting bifocals. I take my glasses off to read and am very happy with that. Dr. Muller was very understanding and said that if I ever change my mind, just let him know. Also said that I have just the slightest hint of paw prints, but that they need not concern us at this time.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hope I never have to settle for the ed mcmahon look

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
All progressive lenses have an "hourglass" shape that takes you from your distance to your near. That hourglass can be manipulated but not eliminated. When you free up the top for more distance vision, the "waist" of the hourglass will become more pronounced and your zone for intermediate sight (think arm's length/computer screen) will become very narrow. In a newspaper you might only have 1 column that's clear/sharp.

A lined bifocal will work until it doesn't. You'll have distance vision and near/reading vision but you won't have any "help" in your intermediate zone. A lined bifocal can be difficult for people who use/need a lot of intermediate vision, like those on computers all day, every day. A lined bifocal in a set of sunglasses for fishing/hunting when you only need the help tying knots or reading a case-head to ensure you're chambering the proper ammo is a popular option.

"Manipulating the hourglass" to best meet your needs is one of the best reasons to buy your glasses from your eye Dr's office, assuming that they have experienced opticians that understand your needs and can match it up to the lens options and technology available to them from their lab/lens vendor.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I love my progressives. My vision is seamless. It’s almost like not wearing glasses. I get the verilux lenses, to me, they are worth the money.

Added
What horse1 said...especially having your glasses come from your eye Dr . I tried taking my script to lens crafters and had bad results. I just could not get a clear picture at any distance and was blurry around the edges. When I received my glasses from my dr they were clear at all distances instantly .

Last edited by JeffP; 11/20/20.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I struggled with adjusting to bifocals for several years before spending the $$$ on progressives. Progressives have been great.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
That intermediate vision is helpful for most if us. Driving nails, reading dials on lathes and mills, anything at arms length.
Way back when before the progressives Dad as a carpenter got trifocals.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I much prefer lined lenses myself. Tried progressive lenses once but could never adjust to them.

I like being able to shift just my eyes to see things not directly in front of me instead turning my whole head like with progressive lenses.

I also like lined bi and trifocals lenses because they immediately define each field of vision.

As always, YMMV...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I recently got new progressives and had a devil of a time getting them adjusted right. One eye was out of focus, couldn't walk in the woods, then when they were adjusted so I could see the little doohickies were digging into my nose and gave me headaches. I got tired of going in for adjustments so I just bent them until they quit pissing me off and I didn't trip over everything.

My conclusion- glasses suck.

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/20/20.

LOL
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm far sighted, lots of cheap readers about. I wear bifocal sunglasses.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have progessives and love them after getting used to the effect .

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffP
I love my progressives. My vision is seamless. It’s almost like not wearing glasses. I get the verilux lenses, to me, they are worth the money.

Added
What horse1 said...especially having your glasses come from your eye Dr . I tried taking my script to lens crafters and had bad results. I just could not get a clear picture at any distance and was blurry around the edges. When I received my glasses from my dr they were clear at all distances instantly .

That's what I used to do, and pay through the nose for their top of line lenses.

Now, after $6200 cataract surgery and IOL's installed, I'm near 20/20 with no glasses.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I hate wearing glasses.
Astigmatism that can not be corrected surgically means progressives. Forever.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could never like the progressives. Was always tilting my head up and down trying to find the focus. In spite of everyone telling me I would like them better than lined bi-focal I didn't .

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I wear progressives for everyday use - they suck when looking thru a scope.

I need a high AR15 type scope height so I can look thru the exact center of the lens so that everything is clear.

I did get new single vision lenses for my Zeiss shooting glasses and they’re the cats azz.

Last edited by tpcollins; 11/20/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I hope I never have to settle for the ed mcmahon look

You will.

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
Am near sighted and wear contacts. Thankfully no astigmatism. Hit 45 last year and needed some help for up close wire work and tying on lures. Hate glasses. Eye dr gave me a multi-focal contact for my non-dominant eye in my case my left eye. Calls it modified mono-vision or something. Took about a week to get used to. Now when I look up close, the left eye kinda takes over and i can see to tie a knot. Its not perfect but a lot better than before.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I started with lined bifocals in my early 40's and after a while tried progressives which worked okay for me at the time. Now in my late 50's, I need trifocals and progressives give me enough distortion around the edges to really mess up my peripheral vision. I've toyed with the idea of trying progressives again, but I'm so used to the lined trifocals I'm not sure I'd be able to adjust.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It took me a couple weeks to get used to progressives after having bifocals for a couple years but I really prefer them now. They are just as seamless as can be for me that I sometimes forget I'm wearing glasses. There are two situations that I have realized I can't deal with the glasses. I can't look through my binos with the glasses on. Just can't get a good picture and can't get comfortable, so I take them off when ever I need to glass...the other thing is I didn't notice until a couple years ago that my glasses distort what I'm looking at enough that I can't tell level ground from not level ground. An example is when we are choosing a site to set up the tent when hunting. What looks nice and flat to me is often way off and I need someone else to pick the spot to pitch the tent often.

Another question comes to mind here. I got the self darkening lenses this time around and I like them a lot, but there are sometimes drawbacks to having them. They distort the natural colors I'm seeing without me noticing it at times when the light is bright because they get so dark at those times. And it sometimes takes a bit for them to lighten up once I go inside from a bright outside area.. how do you guys like the self darkening lenses?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I won’t use the word “progressive”. My lenses are “multi-focal” and I like them just fine.

And I like my self-darkening lenses, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 81 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.