Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I know, I know, late to the party! But looking for a 1:12 twist AR-15 barrel chambered for 223 Remington. I have a bunch of Federal 50 grain HP ammo and thought a nice walking around gun would be fun for upcoming winter coyote hunting. Any suggestions where? Striking out everywhere so far, but it's keeping me busy! Thanks in advance, Dean.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
ARIC

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dean, I've sure had good luck shooting 50-55gr bullets out of a 1:9 twister.

I know the old school bolt guns had 12 twisters, but in my opinion, you have more versatility with a 9 twister.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
of course you can shoot 62 grain bullets sideways out of the 1-12, not accurate but lethal as hell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Why a 1 in 12? You are really limiting yourself with that twist rate.. The slowest twist rate I'd consider on an AR would be 1 in 9, but a 1 in 8 would be much more versatile.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks kwg020, I looked on Brownells but obviously missed those! This is a specific build, for a specific use, for a specific bullet, because I can and because I want to. I already have 1:9, 1:7, different calibers.... my old Savage 110V, in 223 Rem, has a 1:12 26" heavy tapered barrel that shoots tiny, tiny little bug hole groups with the bullets I want to use, so I figured if it shoots like that with a 1:12, I'll put together an upper with a 1:12 and see what happens.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
No matter the twist, you’re not gonna shoot tiny bug hole groups with a $150 chrome lined barrel.

You need to contact a good barrel maker like Shilen and specify what you want and wait. Who knows, you might find a barrel in stock at one of the premium barrel companies cause most people buying now are buying cheap.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep TWR, you're right. I'm really not expecting the same results, but am curious to see what it will do. Contacted a couple sources about a barrel, no luck so far. But ideally, the end result I'm looking for is a lightweight walking gun that shoots minute of coyote at ranges found in central Wisconsin. Ordered one of the ones from Brownells. The Savage 110V weighs in way too heavy to walk around with... thanks guys and take care. Dean

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 11/20/20.

NRA life member

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have more AR uppers than I care to count but hands down my most accurate wears a White Oak 1-12" barrel shooting 50gr BK's
Put Brownells on hold for awhile and give WOA a call, awesome barrels

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Looked on WOA's website, only 1:12 listed are heavy varmint barrels. But I just sent them an email too, so we'll see. Also, WOA is here in IL but it's about a 4 hour turn around from where I'm at.

NRA life member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I have more AR uppers than I care to count but hands down my most accurate wears a White Oak 1-12" barrel shooting 50gr BK's

I just sold a WOA upper. It was not the most accurate barrel I own. In fact my run of the mill S&W 5R barrel shoots consistently better. Other barrels I have with compass lake chambers shoot even better. Im curious as to how well these 1 in 12 barrels actually shoot. From what ive personally seen at my club, there are just a couple guys that have slow twist rate (1 in 12) 24" long axle shafts on their AR's. These are old AR's termed "varmint" match rifles. They look impressively accurate. So much in fact that at one of our shoots I laid down a hundy and told one of them that their rifle looked like it would outshoot my 20" stainless fluted barreled ar. I told him the hundy was his if he could prove it. That was at one of our anual Turkey shoots. A great opportunity here, for some to post up some real world results on accuracy in the black rifle challenge here. Id like to see it. I dont recall seeing boat anchors targets posted. Also, most of those that shot the challenge were using 1-7 to 1-9 twist barrels. Guys that actually shot that challenge and who are in the top 10, can correct me if im wrong.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I shot this group last Saturday here in Oklahoma in a 18 MPH wind with gusts up to 30 MPH just to see what a crosswind would do. The rifle is a 1/8 twist LaRue 16" pencil barrel shooting 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at 100 yards. Oh and I was using a Trijicon 1-4 Accupower scope. Not a great group but it'll kill any coyote I aim it at and it shot Nosler 50 gr NBT's about the same.

My other pencil barrels are chrome lined 1/7 5.56 chambers and shoot about 1.5" groups and still kill coyotes too. I understand trying a 1/12 twist just to see cause I did it too, bought a chrome lined Colt A1 upper that seemed to be a decent shooter with irons so I put a flat top on it, floated the barrel and went out to see for myself. Shot about 1.5" groups with 50 gr NBT's just the same as the rest of them. So for a light coyote gun, any of them will work but if you want to shoot bug holes, you need a bug hole capable barrel. They aren't pencil barrels and aren't chrome lined as a rule.

Last edited by TWR; 11/20/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by boatanchor

I just sold a WOA upper. It was not the most accurate barrel I own. In fact my run of the mill S&W 5R barrel shoots consistently better. Other barrels I have with compass lake chambers shoot even better. Im curious as to how well these 1 in 12 barrels actually shoot. From what ive personally seen at my club, there are just a couple guys that have slow twist rate (1 in 12) 24" long axle shafts on their AR's. These are old AR's termed "varmint" match rifles. They look impressively accurate. So much in fact that at one of our shoots I laid down a hundy and told one of them that their rifle looked like it would outshoot my 20" stainless fluted barreled ar. I told him the hundy was his if he could prove it. That was at one of our anual Turkey shoots. A great opportunity here, for some to post up some real world results on accuracy in the black rifle challenge here. Id like to see it. I dont recall seeing boat anchors targets posted. Also, most of those that shot the challenge were using 1-7 to 1-9 twist barrels. Guys that actually shot that challenge and who are in the top 10, can correct me if im wrong.

BS Kchunter,
The WOA upper you sold was not a 1-12"............I'm not going to Orygun to one of your turkey shoots to take a hundy from you.....I don't need to post my targets to embarrass you.........but you ought to quit acting the dumbfounded Fhuqktard and try being a normal person !!!!!!!!!!

My 1-12" WOA upper shoots better than my bolt rifles..........you don't like it I don't care.
You ever make it to Utah stop by and I'LL take the hundy from you

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Dean, I've sure had good luck shooting 50-55gr bullets out of a 1:9 twister.

Or a 1/8....................

MM

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I ended up putting a 1:9 together and we'll see how the 50 grainers like it. Ordered a 1:12 too that I can swap out.

NRA life member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Son and I both have White Oak arms 1- 12 twist and shooting 50 gr Blitzking in mine and 40 gr V Max in his both shoot very very good. I had a 10 shot group less than .500. They seem to be the best shooting barrels we have ever tried. My barrel has over 3000 rds and accuracy has not changed.

Relive your memories,take a kid hunting and fishing

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
550 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.