Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I’ve been having them put my progressive section of my glasses a bit lower, and I noticed that they are now like a bi-focal where I have to raise my head a bit when looking at things that are almost dead ahead of me but close... which reminds me of grandpa.

How many of you guys still get bifocals vs. getting a progressive lenses with no line and is there any benefit or con with bifocals in your opinion.
I tried progressives... HATED 'em. After about 30 days I went to normal bifocals and I won't go back.. But I had them move the bifocal up higher than most people - since I wanna read straight ahead, not peering down to see... They questioned it but supplied them to my specs (PUN!)... I know many people can get used to progressive styles but I'm not one of 'em..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Progressives. On my second set, this time have digitally processed lenses, much better that 1st set, larger corrected area/field of view/less head turning to get right focus. Also talked to optician when I ordered them to address some other shortcomings of old lenses, like difficult to get good focus on truck dashboard and motorcycle gauges - they were able to adjust transition area to fix. Have never really had any issues with looking thru scopes with them.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have never been able to adjust to progressive lenses.I am going back to bifocals.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting.

Have wore glasses for 40 years, near sighted, everything
was fine until about 10 years ago. Started needing to take my glasses off
to read.

Got progressives, worthless.
Company provides safety glasses, that's all I get.
Realized the eyedoc that they have fit us, didn't do it right.
The correction was too low to use.

Next time, the lady was one I knew personally.
She fit me up better.

Still not happy.
But learning about the hourglass and fitment explain some
issues I have.
This pair is at least 5 years old(new ones free every two years, stupid, I know)
I have stepped on them, dropped them and smashed them flat catching them.
Set rolls of paper on them at work. Smashed flat and popped a lens out.

Point is, it's time to get new ones.

Any idea of something to say to try and get better fitment using
office staff I'm not familiar with.

I need close, far, and intermediate.
Work is all about my eyes.
Seeing materials going through machines.
Reading mics, calipers, tape measures, while doing setup work.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I finally started buying sunglasses with progressives as well.

But I do have them put the short distance stuff down lower in the lense so it doesn’t screw with my visions so much.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like the progressives and the multifocal contacts, neither are perfect for me but will work.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started with progressives, but had them lower the close in area.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Progressives. On my second set, this time have digitally processed lenses, much better that 1st set, larger corrected area/field of view/less head turning to get right focus. Also talked to optician when I ordered them to address some other shortcomings of old lenses, like difficult to get good focus on truck dashboard and motorcycle gauges - they were able to adjust transition area to fix. Have never really had any issues with looking thru scopes with them.

Digitally surfaced lenses are more "adjustable/customizable" for the individual wearer in that an experienced optician can do quite a bit of manipulation of the hourglass. A digital lens will typically offer a wider and flatter clear field of view vs. a conventionally surfaced lens. Occasionally some folks just cannot adapt to the "flatter field of view" similar to the folks who don't like "Swaro-Vision" in Swarovski binocs. Most folks like it significantly better, but, there are always a few who don't. It's not wrong to love a conventionally surfaced lens, nor is someone who feels their vision significantly improved by going to a digital lens wrong either.

Polycarbonate is optically the worst material commonly available. Poly gets pushed a lot because it cheap for the manufacturer to produce, easy for the manufacturer to surface and edge into pretty much any frame, blocks pretty much all UV, and is very impact resistant therefore offers a level of safety not available in standard plastic or glass. Glass in spectacle lenses is dying on the vine. There are just a small handful of places within the US that actually produce glass lenses. They're expensive and typically take 3-5 weeks to get, additionally, the technology for surfacing glass lenses doesn't offer the same level of customization or wide field of view that digitally surfaced different forms of plastic offer. If your optician offers you Poly, ask them about other options that may offer superior optical performance. Not just "thinner" because 1.67 high-index material optically isn't any better than Poly.

Varilux is a brand name, Zeiss is a brand name, there are many other manufacturers as well and each manufacturer produces dozens of different designs. "Lens Designs" are essentially computer programs that tell the surfacing equipment what to do so rarely are designs discontinued, it happens, but it's rare because for the most part there's no inventory cost to keeping a design, it's just digital storage space. Saying you want Varilux or Zeiss is like saying you're going to buy a Chevy. That's fine but are you buying a 1982 Chevette or a 2020 Corvette because in the optical world, both are still available.

The above is really the long way to say, find an office with experienced opticians and take the time to really lay out what you want from your eyewear. Listen to your opticians suggestions regarding frames that fit or don't fit you. A frame that fits you will will allow the manufacturer to keep the center of your finished lenses close to the center of the lens blank they start with, this all leads to better optical performance. Don't assume that the optician is just trying to upgrade you to get more of your $$ for no benefit to you. Most offices have a mind-numbing number of alternatives. They'll also typically have 2-4 "go-to" options. Often the "go-to" that an office uses is going to be your best bet because that office knows how to manipulate their "go-to" lens to most likely get it right the 1st time, or, make the proper adjustment in the event that the lens doesn't work for you and needs to be re-made.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Point is, it's time to get new ones.

Any idea of something to say to try and get better fitment using
office staff I'm not familiar with.

I need close, far, and intermediate.
Work is all about my eyes.
Seeing materials going through machines.
Reading mics, calipers, tape measures, while doing setup work.

First off, safety glasses are almost always poly lenses due to impact resistance so you're starting in an optical hole.

2nd, engineers and to a lessor extent machinists as a group never quite seem to "get" that the hourglass and therefore some optical compromise is going to be there and there's nothing within the current physical universe that's going to allow for multiple progressing powers to be contained within 1 surface without the hourglass. You will never go back to the full-field of view that you experienced for 40yrs through single-vision lenses.

The free lenses provided by your employer are typically a budget conscious offering with little to no customization available. If you're truly looking for "better", you might just have to go to an office you trust and buy your own.

Last edited by horse1; 11/20/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went the progressive route when I got my first pair. They took quite a bit of adjustment.

I'm giving away the punchline, but I got the glasses and after a month or so I started noticing that every time I went to a large store, I was having to walk out with nausea and dizziness. Once I had to drop the cart in the back of a Kroger store and just hurry to the exit. I was thinking that somehow I had acquired agoraphobia, because just driving up to the local Sam's Club or Kroger was making me feel nauseated and panicky in the car.

After 6 months of this, I was close to going to a headshrink, but luckily the guys on here told me it might be the new bi-focals. Sure enough, it was. My eyes were flitting about trying to focus near and far on things and it was getting my vestibular system all whacked out. The fix? I started wearing a ball cap inside the stores and that limited my view so that my eyes could no longer focus on the ceiling. It worked like a charm. It's been over 10 years, and I still wear a hat in stores and malls.

Outside of that, the progressives work fine for me.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
In my experience progressives allow the user to see better in between the reading and distance correction. I can use my computer with my progressive lens and my eye finds the sweet spot for the intermediate distance. I also bought my lens at Costco and had them lower the reading prescription a tad so with these glasses I can recline and watch television. Something about how they are ground I see much better with them then other glasses with the same prescription.

Last edited by Mike_S; 11/20/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried progressives, but found that the sweet spot for reading and close work was too narrow, like only a couple of characters at a time. I now wear tri-focals, with distance, intermediate and reading. I have a special pair of glasses for computer work that have just the reading and a large area of intermediate. I've recently found that neither distance or intermediate was quite right for TV. I was lucky that I found an old pair of my computer glasses that worked perfectly for 12 feet away, and I leave them by the TV.

Getting old ain't easy, but it beats the alternative.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I went with progressives for my regular glasses and sunglasses. It was seamless for me. No lengthy adjustment time and they just seem so normal. I don't have to move my head up and down like a bobblehead to find my sweet spot. This year I purchased some shooting glasses and they were not offered in progressive lenses. So, I got bi-focals so I can see the scoring sheets. I just could not get used to them at all. Walking felt odd and I was always trying to find the intermediate focus that was not there. So, I just went with single vision lenses. I can't read much with them but at least I'm not dizzy trying to walk in them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
496 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,221 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.