Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So the following two statements seem to be true around here:

A 1.5yr old spike usually won't always be a spike (common knowledge).

A funky-rack 2.5yr old (or older) buck will most likely always be a funky buck, usually just being a larger version of the same. This refers to tall/narrow racks. super-short tine bucks, forever-fork bucks, no browtines, and those with one side that really doesn't match the other.

So what about oddball 1.5yr bucks? If you're looking at something with one nice 3pt side and one long, crooked spike sticking off into outer space, might he be prone to outgrowing the condition? Is year 1 mostly just a write-off year as far as looking at genetics? I'm not afraid to shoot an oddball 2.5yr buck that likely needs killing, but I've been passing the first-year bucks for a long time, even when they are ugly.

Now with even more aplomb
BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Have a 1 1/2 buck on my buddys land small rack 3 points on one side and spike on the other, we decided to let him grow and see if he's the same next season.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We have this guy running the farm, we believe he’s a 1-1/2yr old, definitely not a fawn. There can’t be a total of 4” of antler on his head. Legally he doesn’t qualify as an antlered deer here in Indiana. If given the opportunity he may get a ride in the back of the truck. I watched him hounding does, hopefully he didn’t do any breeding.

[Linked Image from ]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve never really worried about it. We can only kill one buck a year with a rifle so I have no interest in burning my tag on a half rack dink in the interest of “maybe” stopping his genetic line. How often have we read of some ranch in TX where someone or another killed a couple “management bucks”? I’ve never heard of anyone running out of management bucks, which means to me that it must not be working.

I don’t know, one place of ours we get bucks with one normal antler and one stub about 2’ tall. They’ve been there my whole life and we’ve killed some over the years to no apparent effect. I assume does can carry the genetic traits as well? No way to know which one of them is which. The same place also has bucks with perfect symmetrical racks too.

I also have a skull I picked up of an ancient old buck with a typically formed side with 7 or 8 points and a huge bladed spike with a big split brow. I would have considered him a trophy if I’d have had the opportunity to shoot him. To me any old heavy buck that’s a challenge to outsmart is a trophy. I love to hunt deer but I kinda like to let nature do it’s thing with the deer herd.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 80 we own east of town has way too many with one side normal, the other a couple messed up points. Lots of older forks too. Haven't talked to the neighbors about it, but it must be the same way for some miles around.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hunt a long narrow property bordered on each side by ranch owners and over the years I consistently kill deer with 180” left sides and 140” right sides. As many as I have shot you would think the genetics would change but I can’t find the doe that carries them

Wac em and stack em
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why in the hell are you guys even thinking abut shooting 1.5 year old bucks?

You will learn a lot about deer and deer hunting by letting them go, give it a try

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There's lots of reasons a person may want to shoot a 1.5 year old buck, even beyond the culling principal the OP describes.

Not everyone is a trophy hunter. Some people just like to shoot the first legal critter they see, so they can get back to the bar. Some people just want meat. If it's legal, I have no issue with those reasons.

Last edited by T_Inman; 11/25/20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amazing what good nutrition would do for some of these "funky" racked young deer.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
There's lots of reasons a person may want to shoot a 1.5 year old buck, even beyond the culling principal the OP describes.

Not everyone is a trophy hunter. Some people just like to shoot the first legal critter they see, so they can get back to the bar. Some people just want meat.

I like deer meat and the bar myself!!

I have killed those little phaggot racked bucks and now I just hold out for a decent mature buck.

Let the neighbor kids, my nephews, younger cousins and my cousins wife work on the smaller bucks.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/25/20.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I pretty much do the same, though sometimes the death mood strikes me.....and something dies regardless of size. It happens.....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A buddy of mine shot this one the other day. He looked to be a 1.5yr buck. You guys think he'd outgrow this kind of rack, becoming a more normal 2.5yr basket-rack buck? Does seem like I see a lot more odd racks like this on the 1.5yr bucks vs the 2.5yr bucks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Interesting links there Bearcat. That helps for sure.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I have killed two odd racked bucks. One was an old 5.5+ year old. He has normal right side and a left side about 4-5” tall with 1 point going up and 3 going straight back. His right jaw had been broken and healed, he had been shot on his right side and healed and one of his feet was jacked up. He was one hateful SOB but none of his injuries stopped him from chasing the ladies.

The second one I killed has a 14” spike on one side. Having always heard about how it was bad genetics and being as he was very big bodied he was a taste tester for a 170gr Corekot. After reading the article on on spikes on one side I went and looked at his Euro mount and sure enough the spike side has an abnormal base, it’s an oval that turns down at the front.

Young bucks get a pass from me.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JPro
So the following two statements seem to be true around here:

A 1.5yr old spike usually won't always be a spike (common knowledge).

A funky-rack 2.5yr old (or older) buck will most likely always be a funky buck, usually just being a larger version of the same. This refers to tall/narrow racks. super-short tine bucks, forever-fork bucks, no browtines, and those with one side that really doesn't match the other.

So what about oddball 1.5yr bucks? If you're looking at something with one nice 3pt side and one long, crooked spike sticking off into outer space, might he be prone to outgrowing the condition? Is year 1 mostly just a write-off year as far as looking at genetics? I'm not afraid to shoot an oddball 2.5yr buck that likely needs killing, but I've been passing the first-year bucks for a long time, even when they are ugly.

My opinion based on what has worked best on our ranch is to wait to 3-1/2 to see what they maybe are going to be. The more I read and manage a couple of places the more I think you cant really make any difference by "culling" unless you have a High Fence or control a very large property. Even then "Management bucks" are always the biggest buck you can talk the landowner or lease manager into letting you shoot. My opinion is the more bucks you let get to 3-1/2 or older the better. At 3-1/2 you get a better idea of what their potential may be.

Just my opinion which is worth nothing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This buck started out with a couple grotesque spikes and was interested to see if he would develop a normal rack. Three years later I took him out of the gene pool, but by gum he had character.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a funky rack but I did pass this one opening day.

Neighbor kid got him this Monday AM. Glad I let him walk.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Excellent!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Excellent!

Now I ware a mask when I go to the store, just because Wittless makes me! But don’t you think that’s a little ridiculous???

😁😁😁😁😁

Last edited by Whelenman; 11/25/20.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.