Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
arky65 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Latest scam, got a call from my electric company (Entergy), disconnect in 30 minutes. Get online while I have them on the phone, check cleared a few days ago. Spidey senses on alert now. Lady give me some BS and pass me off to supervisor. Supervisor James, “we have no record of payment past four months. Supervisor James instructed, must go to a Dollar General to make payment could not do it over phone. That’s when the radar goes off the chart.

Tell James, this is a scam the line goes dead. Called Entergy, my account is indeed paid up and in good standing. Entergy, tells me they are aware of the scam, gave them the requested phone numbers scammer called me from.

This scam will get some people I am sure.
Beware there is no end to these BS scammers.

Last edited by arky65; 11/20/20.

There is a war on America and America is losing
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too many scammers lately. Best one "I need you to log on you computer you have a problem" No , I have no problem. goodbye calls back twice still not doing it Eventually I get a F U from him, return the favor and hangup

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay. Please explain how getting you to go to Dollar General is going to generate any money for the scammer?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Okay. Please explain how getting you to go to Dollar General is going to generate any money for the scammer?

Money transfer: Send & Receive Money at Dollar General | Western Union US

Money transfers, gift cards, etc. are all red flags for phone scams.

Last edited by Beoceorl; 11/20/20.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The only reason we still have a land line is for back up if the cell tower goes down... We have just stopped answering it... all spam all the time.

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
The only reason we still have a land line is for back up if the cell tower goes down... We have just stopped answering it... all spam all the time.

you know there is a govt site where they put you on a no call list. took out 99% for me. google it and sign up

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the phone isn't answered if i don't recognize the named/number. and you can mute the ringer.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We have no land line anymore

A
arky65 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Money transfer: Send & Receive Money at Dollar General | Western Union US

Money transfers, gift cards, etc. are all red flags for phone scams.

Thank you, Beoceorl

Will edit post.

We, normally do not answer if not on contact list. We were expecting a contractor to call not on contact list and answered the phone.

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay. That makes sense, though no mention was made in the post about a money transfer. Used to be able to pay utility bills at many places, especially banks, but that ship sailed long ago. I pay pretty much everything at my bank’s online site. No checks, no stamps, no giving bank account numbers to other companies, and the status of payments is easy to check. Takes about 10 minutes to pay them all.

Had one call the other day looking for my daughter-in-law. Was using a gypped number. When I asked why he first acted dumb, then came up with a BS explanation. Knew he was lying when he said my number was used as a contact number by my DIL, who absolutely wouldn’t do that. Anyone can find out a ton about people just by using Spokeo or similar services, often for free, so just because a spammer seems to know a lot about you, don’t assume they’re legit.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have to answer all phone calls.

I’m kind of a big deal.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Money transfer is irreversible, once it's done the money's gone. If you give them your credit card number then you can contest the charge when you figure out it's a scam and get your money back.

I have an older friend that was at my house a couple of months ago with her (also older) boyfriend when she got a voicemail directing her to call a number to avoid getting her bank account locked. It was obvious it was a scam, both I and her boyfriend told her so and said absolutely do not call them back. She agreed but you could see the worry on her face and about 30 minutes later she said "I think I'd better call them". Her boyfriend and I both jumped up and basically had to yell at her to keep her from going to the phone and calling the crooks. Older folks are particularly gullible to scams like this, they tend to believe anything.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I generally don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize or already have in my contact list but I do call that number back in the rare occurrence it could be from someone I do need to answer. The vast majority of such calls when I call back I get a Verizon recording stating that the number I'm calling is not a valid in service number and instruct me to hang up and confirm the number I'm trying to call.

Occasionally though it is a legit call from a number I do need to answer. Just the other day I got a call from a MO exchange I did not recognize which turned out to be from the receptionist's personal cell phone at my eye doctors office confirming my upcoming appointment. She was new there and still had her Missouri cell number.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I got one today. A robotic voice tells me that she's with the SS administration and that there is a problem with my SS info/account blah, blah, blah. Click!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wow.
A scammer with a supervisor.
Is that racketeering?
Or just democrats?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Getting one about a $299.00 pending charge. Sometimes they say they are Amazon prime.... also got a VM about the same pending charge for a maintenance company.... decided to call back on a drop phone.... got the guy on the line and asked what they wanted.... he says, “you called me”, then he says it’s Amazon prime..... I say wow your VM said something about a maintenance company.... I say if you Amazon prime, what was my last order....l I tell him I’m with a fraud task force and now I ha e him located and thanks for the time.... he hangs instantly.... good laugh....

Always keep a Trak phone around....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD

you know there is a govt site where they put you on a no call list. took out 99% for me. google it and sign up

That is a waste of time.They keep spoofing different numbers.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Traveler52
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD

That is a waste of time.They keep spoofing different numbers.

Exactly.

It helps but is far from stopping the calls.

Another way is to not set up or have a voice mail box.
Having a voice mail box shows an active phone number.

Business folks are screwed in that regard. They have to answer the calls.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by arky65

Beware there is no end to these BS scammers.

TRUE!

Retired cat herder.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Gus
the phone isn't answered if i don't recognize the named/number. and you can mute the ringer.

100%,

I tell folks that my I-phone is for my convenience, not theirs!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.