24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I had an order in for a Tracker Classic XL for delivery next March, but a customer cancelled and his ended up being mine. Took delivery today - unfortunately, now that I can't get it wet all winter. But at least it's here and it's mine. I think I'll call it Black Beauty.

50 hp Mercury, Lowrance finder, Minn-Kota troller, Spare tire, full cover, and the Mercury Vessel View Mobile device. Registration, prep and taxes bring it to $15k. Our Utah DMV is way behind due to the 'vid so I won't get registration numbers for a while. Again, no problem with winter setting in. But as soon as my local reservoir thaws I'll be out there doing my three-hour engine break-in cycles.

Noting to do until then but order stuff online, LOL!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Hey! Enjoy it Rock!!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love boats.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are going to love the 50 four stroke.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where da pics, Rocky?

Sounds like a bueno rig, congrats!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Since it is currently factory fresh, you can see one at the Tracker website. Haven't taken a picture yet. Mine is black.

There's a seemingly endless list of "stuff" that I now need. PFDs, VHF radio, rod holders, locks, anchor, spare props for both motors, tools...

Then there are the upgrade items like a much better fish finder and lithium batteries when the lead acid ones die. Damn good thing I'm rich, huh? LOL!

Last edited by RockyRaab; 11/18/20.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Enjoy your new boat! Always exciting to anticipate the first outing.
Wife and I have owned boats over the past 25 years, and I just sold my Lund boat and trailer a few weeks ago. We were no longer using it often enough to justify owning it.

If you have not owned a boat before, you will come to appreciate the wisdom of these two oft-quoted statements about boats:

A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into,
The two happiest days in a man's life are the day he buys a boat, and the day he sells it!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations! Enjoy the boat. I traded in a 20' Lowe Roughneck back in June for a 20' Robalo Cayman S - loving it so far.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congratulations Captain !

I sold a boat a month ago that I had for 25 years.... and, have been working the internet nonstop ever since to fill that empty space in the garage.... And I just got a deal inked today...

A local dealer had last years model still on the floor, and was open to reasonable offers....

I got a 16' Alumacraft Tiller w/50hp two stroke Evinrude on a roller trailer.... for $15k out the door...

Like you said.... now the shopping really begins.... bow mount electric, rod holders.... boat bumpers... fish finders.... URRGGG !

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Congrats Rocky.
Take your time as for buying things you think you might need, because you might just find you dont.
You will of coarse need all the required saftey equipment, but at least for yourself buy the inflatable type floatation vest and wear it all the time.
I wouldnt be buying a VHF radio at all, because cell phones have pretty much replaced them.
If you do consider just buying a hand held unit.
The type fishing you do will dictate to a large degree how you rig the boat.
I you do any amount of pan fishing such as Crappies, you will end up needing rod holders on the boat.
For sure take your time in choosing those.
Consider going to the (Crappie. com) website and joining that group, its free and you can pick up alot of good information.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Couple quick things -

If it freezes where you are -

1). make sure you store the motor straight up and down so the water can pour out of the tail of the motor and not freeze inside the casing and damage it.
On some trailers you will have to lower the tongue so you can tilt the motor vertical without driving the spud on the bottom of the motor into the garage floor.

2). Fuel stabilizer is your friend... Bass pro carries specialized stabilizer from mercury (Mercury gas stor treatment #3) I generally use stabil.. or that.

On Fuel itself - alcohol in gas is bad for your motor, so buy higher grades that don’t have it ... Better yet - buy it at the marina... marina gas is the best.
Mercury has a fuel additive to help any gas station gas - I think it’s Merc fuel addive #1... again Bass pro marine center carries it.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/21/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This web site will tell you where you can find ethanol-free gas near you: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Rocky,
It is bad-advice not to put in a VHF radio.... get one!

Other boats have them and use them all the time, and the coast guard sends out all of their emergency messages and requests for help to other boaters on the VHF.
One day it could save your life, or some other person who is in your vicinity and has a boating emergency.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Since it is currently factory fresh, you can see one at the Tracker website. Haven't taken a picture yet. Mine is black.

There's a seemingly endless list of "stuff" that I now need. PFDs, VHF radio, rod holders, locks, anchor, spare props for both motors, tools...

Then there are the upgrade items like a much better fish finder and lithium batteries when the lead acid ones die. Damn good thing I'm rich, huh? LOL!

Congrats. That's what retirement is all about. Will your wife head out once in a while?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Rocky,
It is bad-advice not to put in a VHF radio.... get one!

Other boats have them and use them all the time, and the coast guard sends out all of their emergency messages and requests for help to other boaters on the VHF.
One day it could save your life, or some other person who is in your vicinity and has a boating emergency.

While that is true for the salt water anglers, especially ones who venture further offshore, it certainly isnt true for fresh water anglers. Same goes for buying the insurance for towing services, you wont be finding that available for very many fresh water locations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on your boat, good looking paint job. I've got a 2013 XL. with a 40 hp 4 stroke, exterior dimensions and weight are identical to yours. I like the interior layout and paint job better on yours. The 40hp has been plenty of power for it's size I expect you'll really like the 50.

I've fished mine hard for seven years, caught a lot of fish and never had a problem with the boat or motor. I change the oil with synthetic and service everything else per the manual at the start of each year and other than checking the trailer wheel bearings and guide on bolts for tightness periodically that's been it for maintenance. It tows easy, doesn't use a lot of gas and will get you into some shallow tight areas the bigger boats can't get to. Lunch time you can run it up on the beach and back it off when your done

I've put some extras on mine but probably the best ones are additional trailer guide ons for windy days, a trolling plate and Bimini top. It makes a good trout trolling boat when you're not bass fishing.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Replies to some of the above:

I will be making an annual trip to Lake Powell, where there is NO cell service over most of the lake - a handheld VHF is mandatory. I also carry a Motorola GMS/FRS.

It is already fully drained and winterized. (Whaddaya mean IF it freezes? LOL!)

They filled my tank with ethanol-free at the shop, but I have already added half a can of Sea Foam for the winter. I will run nothing but ethanol-free if I can help it.

A Bimini is on my list of future possibles.

Ain't gonna be fishing for no damn slimy trout.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Check the stern tie downs to see if the ratchet metal contacts your paint. If so, I would add the rubber protective sleeves or buy better straps. You don’t want them to chew up your paint.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
q
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Replies to some of the above:

I will be making an annual trip to Lake Powell, where there is NO cell service over most of the lake - a handheld VHF is mandatory. I also carry a Motorola GMS/FRS.

It is already fully drained and winterized. (Whaddaya mean IF it freezes? LOL!)

They filled my tank with ethanol-free at the shop, but I have already added half a can of Sea Foam for the winter. I will run nothing but ethanol-free if I can help it.

A Bimini is on my list of future possibles.

Ain't gonna be fishing for no damn slimy trout.

As for the bimini top, certainly living in Florida as i do protection from the sun is very important.
But, most people install their biminis high enough so that you can stand and walk around under them.
Thats all fine, but fact is it dosent really offer all that much protection from the sun, nor does a T top.
Besides that, the straps and support mechanism is a pita to work around when fishing.
My bimini sits leaning against the wall of my house, and i do as many other fresh water anglers here do.
I use a 6’ beach umbrella inserted into a homade base of pvc pipe attached to the post of my seat.
I can cut the pole down till just the right height right over my head, with nothing in the way at all for casting or whatever. Very easily removed, even by a gust of wind, so make sure you tie it down to the base with a light rope.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
458 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.