Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking to find the best Mahi Mahi fishing I can find. So far my search has directed me towards Florida. Is there better Mahi Mahi fishing out there that I'm overlooking?

Is it Friday yet?
GB2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Panama, Cabo, and Costa Rica just to name a few

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
You wont have any problem finding them in South Florida especially in the May/June time frame.
Most will fall into the 10# and under size however. Taken on lighter tackle as most are in S. Florida even a 10 pounder can be challenging. That time of year there will as a rule be massive expanses of floating sargassum weeds on the surface of the water. That attracts the bait which attracts the larger preditors. So the drill is to troll along the edges untill a Mahi is hooked and brought to the boat. As a rule others will be attempting to steal his prize and can be kept at the boat by chumming with cut bait and caught on spinning rods. The larger ones as a rule are caught while trolling in the open ocean, which can like trolling for any species become very boring.
I would suggest the Keys, since you can combine the trip to include Mahi as well as the better tasting reef species on the same day.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by yobuck
You wont have any problem finding them in South Florida especially in the May/June time frame.
Most will fall into the 10# and under size however. Taken on lighter tackle as most are in S. Florida even a 10 pounder can be challenging. That time of year there will as a rule be massive expanses of floating sargassum weeds on the surface of the water. That attracts the bait which attracts the larger preditors. So the drill is to troll along the edges untill a Mahi is hooked and brought to the boat. As a rule others will be attempting to steal his prize and can be kept at the boat by chumming with cut bait and caught on spinning rods. The larger ones as a rule are caught while trolling in the open ocean, which can like trolling for any species become very boring.
I would suggest the Keys, since you can combine the trip to include Mahi as well as the better tasting reef species on the same day.

Couldnt of said it any better myself! Love the taste of Mahi Mahi. Thats a good eating fish.

Last edited by BlaineT; 11/01/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wife and I have experienced some great Mahi Mahi fishing at Cabo. Never forget a double hookup, on our way back to dock after a day of fishing, two big ones. We took one back to the hotel where we were staying, and had it prepared for the evening meal. One of the best fish meals we have ever had!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had some great days fishing Mahi off Cape Hatteras. Can't compare to Florida because I've never fished for them there.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rancho Buena Vista, in what is called the East Cape of Baja, California.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Big Sky
I'm looking to find the best Mahi Mahi fishing I can find. So far my search has directed me towards Florida. Is there better Mahi Mahi fishing out there that I'm overlooking?

Fly down to Cabo and fish the East cape Baja. Los Barriles , La Paz, Panama in March through July. Can be fantastic for Mahi Mahi, blue marlin, rooster fish I go every year

Last edited by ribka; 12/06/20.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Great fishing out of Nags Head NC if you can stand the 2 hour trip needed to reach the Gulf Stream. Caught plenty of Mahi in the 20-40 lb range. Yellowfin ran from 70lbs up to 120 lbs.

Last edited by 1886nut; 12/07/20.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Odessa
Had some great days fishing Mahi off Cape Hatteras. Can't compare to Florida because I've never fished for them there.

This. Hatteras in May/June. We put almost 600lbs in the boat before 10:00AM one year.

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Great info....saving for later reference!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Go to the Florida keys. June is the best month. Stay on Marathon and fish 20-30 miles off the Sombrero light in about 650 ft of water. Watch for birds around the weed lines.

Btw.......we call 'em by their real name....dolphin....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Bahamas, South side of Cat Island if you want big ones. June or July. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Florida Keys

Pensacola Beach FL

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mexico has tons of mahi. I've caught whole bunches of them. But these weren't one-day charters, these were multi-day longrange trips from San Diego. Years ago on one 7 trip I came back with about 40 dorado, most of them from a huge feeding frenzy (red crabs) well down into Mexican waters. On these multi day trips they always do pretty well on dorado. On a one day charter out of San Diego they'll likely stop and hit the kelps which are usually good for dorado. The west coast has lots of dorado all up and down.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ll throw a curve.....Louisiana, between the rigs. You can catch mature ones, medium ones, or load the boat with Chicken Dauphins on double hookups on a bait rig. I’ve only fished the gulf for them though....from FL to LA. Louisiana has always been first choice for most anything saltwater, though I’ll fish where I am, too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
561 members (260Remguy, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.