Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
HUNTINGS GONNA KILL ME
OR
HOW A BIG BUCK ALMOST GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK

First, let me say that I am primarily a meat hunter. Happy to shoot a big buck if it comes along but not my primary focus. Having said that, I have been fortunate to kill 2 bucks in the 138 and change category. Thus, any buck I β€œwant” to shoot needs to be bigger than that.

Now let me set the stage for you. I am hunting a clover patch that is roughly 100 yards long and 50 yards wide. Tripod stand is in the middle of the short side on the east end, in a big cedar tree. Mostly used for bow hunting, the stand is set back almost to the trunk, with lots of cedar bough, branches, etc. around it. Have cleared out several shooting lanes and you can see most of the field, although it is often through branches. Although I am doe hunting, I pick this stand because I have twice seen mature bucks there in previous years. Unfortunately, with no shot.

Wind is from the West (perfect) and I have my trusty TC 50 cal muzzle loader. Stand has a rail around it, so easy to just lay the rifle there, for quick access. Been in the stand for a couple of hours with 4 fawns and a 6 point and spike playing around all that time. About one hour before dark, I see a mature doe (what I am looking for) step out with her fawns about 50 yards up the left hand side of the field. I could have twisted around and taken an awkward shot but decided to wait, as she was feeding toward a big hole. Ten yards or so and she would clear all the branches. Besides, we have a big doe pot ($500 last year) and who knows what else may step out. Could be the big money doe.

Suddenly, everything in the field bolts! What the heck? Where is everyone goi(oh chitt!!!!!!) As I glance to the left, I see a big buck coming out the same place as the doe. Holy Moly! This is a shooter for sure. Do not know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt but am grabbing for my ML with one hand the binos with the other. Although I know he is a dandy, have to make sure. We have a 135 inch or 4.5 year old minimum. ($500 fine for guessing wrong. Heck, I do not care about the penalty, as this place is a hunters paradise and I get to hunt for free. Would cost many, many thousands to join a club like this and there would be LOTS more hunters. I do want to be sure though, as I do not want to let down my friend, who owns the place.) Size him up quickly, looking through the branches and he is a definte go. (takes all of 10 seconds) As he steps into the clearing and I am starting to raise my ML, he turns toward the West end of the field and all I have is a Texas Heart shot. Bummer, big bummer. Maybe he will look back as he leave the field! But no, he walks straight out the other end and I have no shot.

Wow, there I was doe hunting and suddenly a great buck is just there. Not sure I even breathed while he was in the field. Heart is pumping and I am excited to have even seen one that close. But darn it, why couldn't he have walked straight across, or turned to me, or done anthing other than just turn his butt to me. Been 4 years since I shot my last buck. Ah well, might be another 4. :-( But, still 45 minutes till dark and who knows he might come back. Yeah, right. But what else am I doing? Does should be showing up but I resolved to wait until the last 5 minues of light before shooting one. He might show up. Right???????

Well, he doesn't. But about 15 minutes later, the doe he was following comes out the the Northwest corner and starts to feed. Well, worst case I should at leas....HOLLY CRAP....THERE HE IS! He is at the NW corner, in a little corridor that is no more than 10 feet wide. 106 yards as I had ranged it before and it is the longest shot on the field. I have a clear shot through a 6 inch window in the cedar. When he appears, the doe bolted again but he just stands there looking over the field. (Oh please step out.... just a few steps. Do not want to take a head on shot. Just step out, nothing to it) After about 2 and half hours (Well maybe a minute or two) He turns to his left and starts back into the woods. There is his butt again. Will not take that shot. Aannah I call. He takes another step. AANNNHHHH I shout and he hesitates and then turns toward me. When he does it opens up his shoulder. Is it enough for a clean shot, should I tak(BOOM) Rifle surprises me when it goes off. (Good thing, right?) But a curtain of white falls over everything. Spot he was in is only about as wide as his body and he completely dissappears No idea how he reacted to the shot, if he went right or left. Have to wait for it to clear.

Staring at the smoke thinking, well you did everything righ(AHHHHHHHHHHHH CHITTTTTTTTTTT) First thing I see as the smoke clears is a twig about 3/8 inch diameter at the bottom of my shooting hole. Looks like the end has been blasted off of it. CRAPPPPPPPPP! I hit a limb on the best buck I have ever had a shot at. How could I be so stupid???? What a fool!!!!! Finally get a shot at a great buck and you blow it. You worthless piece of (Phone beeps) Farm managers son Kody, is hunting close to me and wants to know if I shot. Yes, think I hit a limb and missed a good buck...........:-(((((((((((((((((( Like all good friends, he immediately says he is on his way. I tell him to wait but no good he is on his way. And while he comes I sit there and think over and over and over. HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID. HIT A LIMB. YOU SHOULD HAVE CHECKED BETTER. NO WAY YOU SHOULD HAVE HIT THAT LIMB!!!!!!

Wait a minute. There is no way I should have hit that limb. I did check when I brought the ML up. Should have had clearance. And besides, the big limb that little one attaches too, I do not recall it moving. If I had hit the little limb, shurly the big one would have moved???????? I bring the rifle up and try to recreate the shot. Due to the small area the buck was in, there can not be much movement in where I held the rifle. No matter how I try, I can not get the crosshairs on the limb end and still have any kind of shot on the buck. Maybe I didn't hit it after all..

I get down and go to where the buck was standing. Had to be in an area with a maximum size of about 8 feet x 8 feet. I look carefully for blood. Nothing. Go back and forth. Nothing. North and South. Nothing. Criss cross. Nothing. Just to be sure, put in a new set of eyeballs and do it all again. NOTHING> :-(

About that time Kody pulls in. His dad is right behind him (Kody called him) And lo and behold, Buddy is with him. Buddy is a tracking fool. He asks no questions. Just goes to where the buck was and walks to the left, into the woods. Straight to the buck who was laying 40 yards from where I shot him.

Can not describe the feeling of relief, euphoria, whatever you want to call it. In 45 minutes I had gone from elation on seeing him, to despair at not getting a shot. To super elation when he came back, to unbelieveable grief, when I thought I hit a limb instead of him. To who knows what heights, when he was found. (Perfect shot by the way) So up-down, up-down, maybe up?- to hallelujah, there he is. Buck green scored 146 6/8ths. Little 4 inch kicker behind his eye guard, you can not see in the pics. Personal best for me and best for the farm to. To say I am happy is a gross understatement, but I do not think my heart can take another hunt like this!

Hoping you and yours have a safe and wonderful hunt this year.

PS. Decided the little limb was close enough for the muzzle blast to blow the end off it.

PPS. Will ask my good friend T Lee to post a couple of pics for me. Buddy is the one on the right side of the deer.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for sharing, that is the fun of the hunt.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

CONGRATULATIONS!πŸŽˆπŸŽŠπŸŽ‰πŸ§¨πŸΎπŸ’―

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Great story, can't wait to see the pics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Almost like I was there looking over your shoulder. Great story!

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story with a lot of suspense and a happy ending. I can relate to all those emotions. Have your friend get those pix up. Don't feel bad; I can't post pics on this site, either.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry I took so long Sir.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Forward of the shoulder?

Great deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice buck, travelingman!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great story and a beautiful buck! Congrats!

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Sweet, great shot and a big CONGRATS!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That a nice buck!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Something has to kill a man. lol

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wonderful buck!! And the dog is beautiful too....

Great story by the way, I enjoyed the suspense through the whole thing.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Great story. Thanks for taking the time to post it out in a great story.

Beautiful Buck. Congrats.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Great tale.
Nice buck

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice buck.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks so much T, for putting up the pics. It is a great memory for sure. Buddy is a 2 year old Boykin Spaniel. He lives to trail deer and gets as excited as we do when he knows he is going. (when his vest goes on). Rest of the time he is just a fun loving little guy. Great relief to have him available to find deer. Not that we have lost many but he turns what used to be a 1 to 2 hour hunt, with everyone in camp, to a 15 minute hike in the woods.

Slumlord, the little red you see is where the bullet rests against the off side. Did not actually make it all the way through. Shot was from aft of the shoulder bone on the other side, through the shoulder bone on the side shown.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I can not sleep and am up at 3, because gun season starts this morning in Tennessee. Have several people that have requested deer, so will be doe hunting again. I do know however that there is at least one in the woods bigger than this guy. I may be a meat hunter but big bucks are growing on me!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Really cool hunt! Thanks for posting it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice story and congrats.

-Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

387 members (10ring1, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,788
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.