Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What's so special about postal money orders? Serious question. I'm not trying to cause a big ruckus. It seems many people really prefer the postal money order over some really easy forms of payment; head scratcher to me. I recently bought a rifle off GunBroker and the seller took only postal money order. I offered to wire funds directly to their bank but they preferred the postal money order. Why? Are that many people living without a checking/brokerage account? With so many easy ways to pay why postal money orders?

IC B3

dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's ignorance on my part. I don't understand wire transfer, paypal, venwhatever etc. Money orders have not failed me yet.

M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For one thing I'm not giving someone I don't know my bank account number for a wire transfer. What's so hard about going to the post office to get a money order?

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MLC
For one thing I'm not giving someone I don't know my bank account number for a wire transfer. What's so hard about going to the post office to get a money order?

+1.

dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Post office hours suck. I start work before they open, come home after they close, and my local closes the counter for lunch hour. Otherwise they're awesome.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It’s an act of Congress to get your money back if a money order is lost in transit. Personally, if a money order is the only way to finalize a deal, I’ll back out.

It took me 3 months to get my money back the last time I tried using one. The mail never delivered the payment envelope to the seller so we mutually agreed to cancel the deal. Fortunately I had all my receipts but 90 days was a long time to wait. The seller certainly didn’t want to and I was not willing to pay twice for the same item when the post office would not guarantee a refund.

Of course you’re free to do what you want to on your deals.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dh1
Post office hours suck. I start work before they open, come home after they close, and my local closes the counter for lunch hour. Otherwise they're awesome.

You left out the awesomeness of waiting 20 minutes in line.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dh1

^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dh1

They sell em at other places too.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If Money Order is the only acceptable way of payment I cruise right on by. In my opinion that is living in the 1940s. To the buyer of the MO try getting your money back when it is lost or fraud.

I had some people who don;t understand e-bank check, money is deducted when purchased a no fail, it does take a little longer, but?

And what is wrong with personal check, hold the merchandise until the check clear. then ship. Who looses? In fact the personal check gives the seller some leverage in the case of NSFs. A little complicated legally, but just saying......

No money orders here

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MLC

And yet we’ll willingly hand a check or mail one with our account number to a stranger. I know very few people actually still use checks but they’re still more secure than debit cards. Without an ID and PIN number there not much way to get money out of your account with just an account number.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Decent article here on the most popular ones. CashApp, Zelle, and Venmo are fairly ubiquitous in my area.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...e-cash-facebook-google-zelle/5005537002/

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
MO's do indeed suck. I've never been able to cash one at our PO. "Not enough money in my drawer. Come back later." My bank accepts them if I deposit rather than cash it- but that entails another cross town journey in our local perpetual rush hour. And both venues invariably entail a long wait in line to boot. Meh. I'd rather send a personal check to those fogeys that don't/won't learn about electronic transfers of funds, and wait for it to clear than endure the hassle of going and getting a MO.

As for electronic money transfer venues, I've never ever known anyone who got ripped off. Security is pretty darned good. Guns I've purchased on line, paid for electronically, and sent screen shots of my C&R license, have been showing up on my doorstep in a matter of days. One very good thing about living in the 21st century, IMO.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slowmover12
It’s an act of Congress to get your money back if a money order is lost in transit. Personally, if a money order is the only way to finalize a deal, I’ll back out.

Yep, screw going to the P.O., PMO is no dice for me. I've taken many personal checks from buyers here. If you don't know/trust the buyer hold the delivery till the check clears.
PayPal is the easy button.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Most banks and credit unions can call a central number and instantly verify the USPS money order - can't do that with all the others. Having said that, I don't buy much anymore if that's the only pay option - I'll be 70 in a few months and no matter how healthy I try to stay, statistically my survival odds suck if catch Covid. Not going to wait in line in our little podunk PO's 10x15 counter room - not enough room even without 'social distancing'. Personally, I think it's kind of arrogant to demand PO's as the only pay option - yeah, that's right up there with all those folks who can't take the time to learn how to post photos.

Last edited by Offshoreman; 11/20/20.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There’s a certain measure of protection. If someone screws you out of merchandise paid for my postal money order that you mailed, it’s mail fraud. In the real world, getting a postal inspector to investigate and prosecute depends heavily on their work load, ambition, how much the money order was for, etc.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Same dumbasses are the anal retentives who want the original factory box and the factory workers' original finger prints in the original factory dust on the box for a $200 firearm like it's an heirloom lol

Get a life. Step into this century.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I avoid MOs. I can deposit a check into my account by phone but a MO I can’t.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by slowmover12
Personally, if a money order is the only way to finalize a deal, I’ll back out.

^^^^
This.

Ranks right up there with all the fuggin tightwad losers that want fees when using PayPal for low dollar items. JFC how desperate are people that they need the fees covered on a 10 dollar item? Anytime I come across some jackass wanting fees or +4% for their stuff I walk on by. Fugginasswadsfugginupeverything.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.