Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Seafire
I picked up a Savage Axis for like $240 at Walmart for a disabled buddy in 223....

bare bones and its a tack driver and a half... 1 in 9 twist on it..doesn't seem to care what ya feed it.

I have a similar Axis in 243... and that thing also is a tack driver... difference in the two, is mine has the accutrigger and his doesn't.

Them sorry old Savages shoot well. I have three bolt Savages, grandkids have 3. All shoot less than inch.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Less than an inch is no big deal to me...

a good shooter is a three shot one hole group at 100 yds...

and most of my Savages can do that, If the shooter ( me or anyone else) is capable of doing their part...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My Salvage Predator shoots well..........

Just a tad heavier than I want......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Should'a kept my early 595 Tikka 223......SS/syn

IIRC...sold here years ago.....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut

*[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I love those Savage and Rem Predators with the total camo from the factory...

was too busy at the time when available to buy either...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Picked up a SPS .223 on a whim 10 years ago and darn if the thing hasn’t become one of the the ones that always goes to the range. Yeah it’s slow twist but I never shoot above 55 grain in any of my 22 caliber rifles so no worries. Even knocked over a truckload of deer with it. You could do far worse.
GreggH

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Had a Savage 'Whitetail' I believe....different camo pattern...in 308....

SIL has it now in AZ

It always shot well too......took my last & final 360 bull...... cry

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by buffybr
I bought a .223 SS Weatherby Vanguard S2 a year or so ago. I have no trouble shooting moa or less with my handloads using CFE powder and Hornady 55 grain FMJ and SP bullets.

Those are fine rifles, I have one, I can shoot about an inch with it, granddaughter can get an honest1/2 inch. She has it, I guess I had one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a Krico 600 something that's set up with two triggers and shoots lights out with Hornady factory ammo. It was as new when I bought it with a collection, and still is, but I have no idea what the market would be for one, or if you could even find one.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Lw308
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Originally Posted by Lw308
Cheap and accurate?

TC Compass
Savage Axis
Ruger American Pred

In that order. As for ammo, you get what you pay for.

I don't know...

I bet most of the average guys who buy a cheap gun can't shot as well as the gun is capable with anyway...

ya know, the 5 inch group off a rest at 50 yrds crowd.. who equate that as minute of deer at 500 yds....

if your rang ain't full of em, mine sure is...

and dontcha know... the more expensive the equipment, the more better shooter ya are...

see 'em all the time, who think the 100 yd berm is 250 yds or so... and a hole into an 11 x 17 target at 100 yds, is really "good enough".. and that 250 yd 100 yd target turns into them hitting something at a thousand yards within 2 weeks or the closer to hunting season it gets.....especially with that box of ammo they bought 10 years ago and it still has 10 rounds left in it..

I had always bought inexpensive guns because that's what I could afford. I'm somewhat better than a 5" at 50 yd group shooter. You should not brand people by what they can afford!

^^^^^^ agreed! I am a working man with 3 kids and a stay at home wife. I watch every dollar that goes in and out. I recently purchased a TC compass when they had the $50 rebate on them and had $200 in the rifle, slapped it in a Boyds Pro Varmint stock, bedded it myself, put a Athlon Midas Tac 4-16x44 on it and started working on a load. I have it shooting 1/2 moa @ 100yds. My buddy and I have targets out to 930yds in the river bottoms. I was consistantly hitting a 4" plate at 600 with it. I have a Few ruger M77 mkii that wont do that...

just seeing this, but I'll still respond... you boys took me totally wrong...

I'm far from being a Rifle and Scope Snob....

Last three rifles I have purchased are the same as listed above...

a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel..

A Savage Axis in 223

A TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor..

I was more making fun of some of our locals, who always buy the cheap stuff based on price, even if they can afford better...

I'm surprised that folks can't tell how far a 100 yds is on a rifle range...much less 200 yds...or greater...

I've seen times in high cotton and times in the toilet...I'm doing just fine in life, but I have no spendy rifles in my closet...

and pretty much ALL of my ammo, I hand load it all...

I can be accused of a lot of things.. but being a gun or scope snob ain't two of them....

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

The old predators are great rifles. Shoot great. Have somewhat of a following and still hold their value:
Mine averages about .8 moa, but it isn't finicky with different bullets and that makes it a great rifle in my book.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

When they first came out, they were not a normal el-cheapo savage you could by at wally world. I think they sold for upwards of $700.00 and that was not the norm for savage bolt action prices back in those days. They do still have quite the following.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Howa Mini. Scaled, forged-steel action, good trigger.

Hinged floorplate will soon be available soon, or the DIP metal unit is ready now if you prefer DMs.

The CZs are great rifles as well, but the CRF combined with DMs is a PITA IMO, at the bench anyway. The actions are a work of art with all that nice machine work.

What he said !

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Never had the money when the Predators first came out....so I never ended up with one..

But those and the original Remington Mountain Rifles... are definitely my idea of the perfect rifle...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I said I wanted to buy a new remingtion 783 in 223 you guys would say I was nuts , amiright?
But ever since I seen it the other other day I think I'm gonna jump on it. I don't need it, I want it.
It was a sweet smooth nice looking rifle, I know I know, no longer made, bankrupt junk, ruger won't take care of me etc.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
If I said I wanted to buy a new remingtion 783 in 223 you guys would say I was nuts , amiright?
But ever since I seen it the other other day I think I'm gonna jump on it. I don't need it, I want it.
It was a sweet smooth nice looking rifle, I know I know, no longer made, bankrupt junk, ruger won't take care of me etc.

I wouldn't buy one... at the same time, I'm not going to be the guy owning it...

My point, its your choice... don't let anyone take that away from you...

if you like it, that is what counts...

none of us by a gun that we think is a piece of schitt, regardless of what they may imply..

I was told to keep away from a Savage Axis.... bought it anyway... in 243.. I love it...

paid a lot more for less accurate rifles, and this thing has a lot of utility.... it'll take getting banged up all over the woods, and not show a dent..

and at the range.. 3 shot normally yields me a one hole 'group'....

I've bought several 223 on 783s for folks I know who are economically on a budget... retired friends, who wanted something for varmints around the property.... they love their 783s.. accurate... and do their intended job... $200 rifles from Wally World...

Enjoy yours and I hope it serves you well...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I could find a stainless T3 Varmint with a 1-8” twist for a decent price I’d jump all over it.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If I could find a stainless T3 Varmint with a 1-8” twist for a decent price I’d jump all over it.

P

Now you are dreaming...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

P

they had 2 of them at the Sheels in SLC a week before Christmas.........gone overnight !!!!!!!!!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got a great deal on a blued T3x, but I wanted a stainless T3.

She shoots 75 ELDM over Varget like a house on fire. Named her Land Whore.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,403
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.