Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

The original plastic factory magazine follower in my trusty 870 Wingmaster is looking scruffy and less than slick. (Standard magazine tube.)

I'm reading good things about stainless steel Vang and aluminum Nordic followers.

Any preference on the 'Fire?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So here is what I have tried on the 870s. I would really like to try a Nordic aluminum follower some day. My old corncob forend Wingmaster still has the original type stamped steel follower in it. Has not failed me yet. Never changed it. The newer orange plastic followers just seemed too flimsy for me. I looked into the Scattergun Technologies green nylon ones but, read some poor reviews on them. I have used a cheaper Brownells aluminum follower in my 870 Magnum and it did fine. It did seem to wear some on the contact surfaces but nothing major. I have went to the PTG stainless steel follower as more or less my favorite anymore. The PTG has never failed or shown wear yet. They are grooved to fit in the Express tubes as well. Some folks say don't use stainless followers because they might gouge or peen the tube itself?? I have not had any problems personally. I certainly have not tried them all but, the steel PTG worked for me.

On a side note, I employ one magazine cleaning trick I am sure many others do. When I put in my aftermarket follower I took the cheap orange factory one and put it on the top end of the magazine spring in place of the magazine spring retaining ring. The magazine spring and followers are only held in by the magazine end cap and I can swab out the magazine tube easily during routine cleanings. It could be a pain if I changed out barrels a lot. I don't know if this is the best trick in the world but it makes it as easy to clean the magazine as if you had an extension on it. Best of luck!

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by sixfive
Some folks say don't use stainless followers because they might gouge or peen the tube itself?? I have not had any problems personally.

Given the steel parts in the bolt and trigger assemblies that touch and slide against each other without any problems, I don't see how it would be a problem.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah, I guess I don't see how stainless steel would be problematic either. Like I said, I certainly haven't tried every follower on the market. I like the stainless ones the best so far though. I simply never read much good on the plastic ones. I am just an average shooter with my 870s too. I hunt with them, shoot trap with them, and shoot at the range with them. If I shot a shotgun as much as a three gun competitor or something I might have a different opinion of course.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,356 guests, and 694 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.