Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's a beauty! Is that a Muley/Whitetail?
The fork splits look like the mule deer from my Colorado days.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colodog

Interesting looking rack for sure.
Thinking there is a muley in the woodpile some where. Great Grammy went west and came home knocked up. Lol.

Great buck!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good un, anywhere.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's a Stud!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Theeck
If it is a Texas buck, it doesn’t count.

Is that a fact?

Please DO expand on your vast knowledge of Texas bucks, and why they don't count.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've killed a couple/three whities here in Iowa that have split G-2's. Not all that uncommon.

That deer sure looks like a whitetail to me.

Nice one!

The dude sure does look grumpy though, what gives?

Last edited by muleshoe; 11/21/20. Reason: grumpy guy

Black Cows Matter!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by stxhunter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

WOW!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rock on, Badger!💪

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muleshoe

Nice one!

1- white tail in Ga

2. Not grumpy. That’s a Boer smile!😉

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Very nice...

Congratulations!

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

CONGRATULATIONS!🎈🎊🎉🧨🍾💯

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've killed a couple/three whities here in Iowa that have split G-2's. Not all that uncommon.

Nice one!

Hey, that’s my smiley face!

Got home late last night and slept in, so here’s the story.
Y’all will have to cut me a little slack here, I’m not a gifted narrator like Travelling Man or our friend DocRocket smile.

This is actually the tale of 2 bucks, and unintended consequences, initiated by my need to kill some hogs that have destroyed 2 of my feeders at this location. They’ve not been able to take out the current one, but are making absolute pigs of themselves (Pun intended) and my trail cams were showing very few deer but literally 20-30 hogs visiting the feeder at one time.

So, I figured as there would be an opportunity for multiple shots if they showed up, why not take something with a little pizzazz that I can squeeze off 4 or 5 shots in a hurry, because in all practicality, hogs can move surprisingly fast when sufficiently motivated, and 4 or 5 aimed shots would be all I would have time for.

Enter the 450 Bushmaster. 250gn Hornady XTP’s at 2150fps should be a good motivator not to come back, I thought.

I got into my stand at about 2pm, very pleasant day, and watched the woods come back to life around me. Had a spike, and a small 4 point wander around in front of me eating acorns, as the hogs had vacuumed the corn around the feeder earlier. At around 4pm I saw movement about 120 yards from me in the creek bottom on the far side of the feeder. I could see antlers and glassed the deer through the thick brush. I decided he was a shooter and knew that if he kept moving in the direction he was going, he would walk through a clear spot where I had a shot. Picked up the AR and waited. When he stepped into the partial clearing, I squeezed the trigger and he fell where he stood. Pretty decent (For the area) 8 pointer.

Pretty pleased with myself, I figured that maybe the bonus would be the arrival of the hogs when the feeder went off, about 30 minutes to wait. Filled one of my buck tags, and cut down the hog population by a few. What could be better than that?

The feeder was set to go off at 4:45pm, so I sat back and looked at the buck through the binoculars, closed my eyes for a few minutes, and listened to the sounds of the birds and squirrels trying to make a living.

At 4:20pm, I heard a branch snap in the thick bottom to the right of where I shot the 8 pointer, and thought the hogs were making their way up for dinner. I suddenly remembered that I hadn’t replaced the round that put the buck down, so hastily but quietly ejected the magazine and thumbed in another cartridge. Just as I was about to insert the magazine, a doe stepped out into the clearing, looked behind her and walked a few step and stopped again. I thought I was busted. I slid the mag in as quietly as I could, but even holding the mag release button, there was that “click” as it slid home. The doe looked in my direction and I froze for what seemed an hour, but was only about 30 seconds. Her tail was halfway up, but she never blew or stomped. She was about 20 yards from my stand.

She looked behind her again, and walked a few steps, and then Mr. Big stepped into the clearing. While they were paying attention to each other, I slowly turned to my right and brought the rifle into position. I squeezed off the second shot of the day, and he fell without taking a step. The doe took off without a shot opportunity, but I was more interested in the buck, or course.

It was a good day, especially when I went to that stand with the intention of culling a few hogs. Sometimes things just work out better than you expected, and I’m thankful.

A footnote on the 450 Bushmaster: Obviously, one can’t argue with the results. Both bucks never took a step, as 250gns at over 2400fps has some mojo. Being old school, I like to see 2 holes, and lots of leakage. Neither bullet exited, despite both being broadside behind the shoulder shots. So I have mixed feelings. I would venture to say that if shot placement is not perfect, the chances of recovering a deer without a tracking dog would be pretty slim in the absence of a blood trail. Very little blood from the entrance hole on both deer, and even though they were lung shots, no blood from the mouth on either. I suppose absorbing all of the 2500 ft/lb of energy is what delivered the quick kills.

Just something the think about. I still like the old “small hole going in, and big hole exiting”. makes for easier tracking, especially in an area that has dense vegetation. Anyhoo, that’s my story.

Last edited by badger; 11/21/20.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Roger for posting those pics smile

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by badger

Nice one!

Hey, that’s my smiley face!

Got home late last night and slept in, so here’s the story.
Y’all will have to cut me a little slack here, I’m not a gifted narrator like Travelling Man or our friend DocRocket smile.

This is actually the tale of 2 bucks, and unintended consequences, initiated by my need to kill some hogs that have destroyed 2 of my feeders at this location. They’ve not been able to take out the current one, but are making absolute pigs of themselves (Pun intended) and my trail cams were showing very few deer but literally 20-30 hogs visiting the feeder at one time.

So, I figured as there would be an opportunity for multiple shots if they showed up, why not take something with a little pizzazz that I can squeeze off 4 or 5 shots in a hurry, because in all practicality, hogs can move surprisingly fast when sufficiently motivated, and 4 or 5 aimed shots would be all I would have time for.

Enter the 450 Bushmaster. 250gn Hornady XTP’s at 2150fps should be a good motivator not to come back, I thought.

I got into my stand at about 2pm, very pleasant day, and watched the woods come back to life around me. Had a spike, and a small 4 point wander around in front of me eating acorns, as the hogs had vacuumed the corn around the feeder earlier. At around 4pm I saw movement about 120 yards from me in the creek bottom on the far side of the feeder. I could see antlers and glassed the deer through the thick brush. I decided he was a shooter and knew that if he kept moving in the direction he was going, he would walk through a clear spot where I had a shot. Picked up the AR and waited. When he stepped into the partial clearing, I squeezed the trigger and he fell where he stood. Pretty decent (For the area) 8 pointer.

Pretty pleased with myself, I figured that maybe the bonus would be the arrival of the hogs when the feeder went off, about 30 minutes to wait. Filled one of my buck tags, and cut down the hog population by a few. What could be better than that?

The feeder was set to go off at 4:45pm, so I sat back and looked at the buck through the binoculars, closed my eyes for a few minutes, and listened to the sounds of the birds and squirrels trying to make a living.

At 4:20pm, I heard a branch snap in the thick bottom to the right of where I shot the 8 pointer, and thought the hogs were making their way up for dinner. I suddenly remembered that I hadn’t replaced the round that put the buck down, so hastily but quietly ejected the magazine and thumbed in another cartridge. Just as I was about to insert the magazine, a doe stepped out into the clearing, looked behind her and walked a few step and stopped again. I thought I was busted. I slid the mag in as quietly as I could, but even holding the mag release button, there was that “click” as it slid home. The doe looked in my direction and I froze for what seemed an hour, but was only about 30 seconds. Her tail was halfway up, but she never blew or stomped. She was about 20 yards from my stand.

She looked behind her again, and walked a few steps, and then Mr. Big stepped into the clearing. While they were paying attention to each other, I slowly turned to my right and brought the rifle into position. I squeezed off the second shot of the day, and he fell without taking a step. The doe took off without a shot opportunity, but I was more interested in the buck, or course.

It was a good day, especially when I went to that stand with the intention of culling a few hogs. Sometimes things just work out better than you expected, and I’m thankful.

A footnote on the 450 Bushmaster: Obviously, one can’t argue with the results. Both bucks never took a step, as 250gns at over 2400fps has some mojo. Being old school, I like to see 2 holes, and lots of leakage. Never bullet exited, despite both being broadside behind the shoulder shots. So I have mixed feelings. I would venture to say that if shot placement is not perfect, the chances of recovering a deer without a tracking dog would be pretty slim in the absence of a blood trail. Very little blood from the entrance hole on both deer, and even though they were lung shots, no blood from the mouth on either. I suppose absorbing all of the 2500 ft/lb of energy is what delivered the quick kills.

Just something the think about. I still like the old “small hole going in, and big hole exiting”. makes for easier tracking, especially in an area that has dense vegetation. Anyhoo, that’s my story.

Nice write up!

Thanks for sharing!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is really something to get two bucks in one sitting. I've never shot a 450 bushmaster but a 250 gr at over 2400 I would think it would penetrate plum through.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sweet!
Thats a good day right there.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mighty Fine!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice buck. Congrats!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Should have left after the hunt and bought a lotto ticket. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
340 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.