Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
So I finally got my new LH Montana XAR. There was a barrel break in procedure pamphlet in the box. It said 'theses are recommendations only as some shooters have their own procedures.' In the cold weather we have now it wont be easy to do. My question is it important? Ive had lots of new rifles and never done anything special before.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, it's not important, as break-in happens anyway during the normal shoot/clean process.

I have mentioned elsewhere that quite a few rifle and barrel companies include a barrel break-in process in their information (whether in a pamphlet or on their website) simply to prevent people from wasting their time asking about break-in. That's exactly what 'these are recommendations only as some shooters have their own procedures' sounds like.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Thanks John. What is your shoot/clean process for a new rifle? Ive always just used a new rifle. I clean them after maybe 30 rounds although I clean them more due to environmental hazards than shooting.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by yukon254
Thanks John. What is your shoot/clean process for a new rifle? Ive always just used a new rifle. I clean them after maybe 30 rounds although I clean them more due to environmental hazards than shooting.

I’d just shoot the gun.
Environmental hazards?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm not applying DBC to a new barrel (which is almost never, these days), I simply run a couple of patches and maybe some solvent through the bore and then just get to shooting.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I’d just shoot the gun.
Environmental hazards?

rain, mud, snow

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I’d just shoot the gun.
Environmental hazards?

rain, mud, snow

Got it, makes sense. I tape my muzzle at the beginning of the season and remove the tape at the end.

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I’d just shoot the gun.
Environmental hazards?

rain, mud, snow

Got it, makes sense. I tape my muzzle at the beginning of the season and remove the tape at the end.

Poconojack;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust all is as well as can be in your world on this second last Saturday of November.

While I'm a blue electrical tape user/enthusiast as well, one thing I will say that I've learned is that if one has the arm out in extreme cold and then brings it inside and it sweats, then it absolutely can rust. This is the case after it's been fired a few times anyways.

Typically if we're able to now we'll keep the firearms out in the cold during a hunt, then bring them in for storage, remove the blue tape and run something down the bore to ensure it's dry at least. I'm aware one doesn't want to necessarily run an oil down the bore part way through season, but rust won't make it shoot better either.

As always there's lots of situations that I'm not even aware of, so lots of different ways to debark the proverbial feline, but that's how I do it when we're out in sub zero conditions.

All the best to you all this winter and Happy Thanksgiving.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
I use tape also, but you have to be careful. A well known brown bear guide in Alaska split the end of his barrel while taped. Moisture got in there then froze solid when the temps dropped.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Happy Thanksgiving

Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 18 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.