Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got a couple rifles I'd like to have Cerakoted.

How old is your Cerakote finish and how's it holding up? Worth the money? Would you do it again?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

BP-B6

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My main elk rifle got coated after a week long hunt in wet weather. That was 6-8 years ago and Cerakote is holding up well. Thinking of having a few other rifles done this winter/spring. Highly recommend.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Prep work is what makes it breaks it. I have a few that have went both ways. Overall I’m happy with it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Full3r
Prep work is what makes it breaks it. I have a few that have went both ways. Overall I’m happy with it.

This! I've had a bunch of rifles Cerakoted and you really do notice who does the proper prep on them. Of all the ones I've had done, Karl Feldkamp and Eddie Fosnaugh do the best work IMHO. I have one of Karl's rifles he did for me I think 6 years ago now, and its a rifle that gets used the most. Its still holding up great.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have one, but it doesn’t live a hard life. If I ever have a blued rifle refinished again, it’ll get nitrided. Have a couple with factory nitride and really like the look. Supposed to be really tough and rust resistant too.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Karl has done mine and they are holding up great. Yes I would do it again but the Nitride finish intrigues me.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cerakote done right holds up really well. Cerakote done wrong might as well by a Krylon rattlecan job.be were wary of fly by night, budget shops.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've had a few done and they look just as good today as they did 4 or 5 years ago when they were coated. Great stuff as far as I'm concerned. My main elk hunting rifle is cerakoted midnight blue and it gets ridden pretty hard.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Have one, but it doesn’t live a hard life. If I ever have a blued rifle refinished again, it’ll get nitrided. Have a couple with factory nitride and really like the look. Supposed to be really tough and rust resistant too.

I have one Cerakoted gun, which lives kind of a soft life for obvious reasons:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Black Nitride treatment I had done by H&M Metal Processing of Akron OH on guns which don’t get babied:

Every day’s an adventure.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I’ve had 3 done and am happy with the results.

Even done right, it obviously will scratch when bounced off rocks etc. Like anything, after some hard use it will show wear, but it is pretty durable. Will be doing another one before to long.

Eta; they range from 6 to 3 years. The 6 year rifle gets used the most and it definitely shows some wear, but nothing I fault Cerakote on.

Last edited by SLM; 11/20/20. Reason: Can’t do simple subtraction.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Tc icon weathershield likely 11 years old seems to be doing fine in the ultra harsh conditions of my gun locker

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I have one Cerakoted gun, which lives kind of a soft life for obvious reasons:

Black Nitride treatment I had done by H&M Metal Processing of Akron OH on guns which don’t get babied:

That savage 219 is awesome!! Always wanted one..

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys, I appreciate the information.

I definitely want to check into the nitride finish, as I have one rifle in particular that would be a candidate for this type of finish.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
That savage 219 is awesome!! Always wanted one..

I see Savage 219s appearing for sale on GunBroker.com from time to time. You should take the plunge. With the Black Nitride option, as long as it has a decent bore, external condition is pretty much irrelevant and internal replacement parts are obtainable.

I found this pre-war vintage 219 .30-30 at a gun show in Reno perhaps twenty years ago and grabbed it. Its external condition reflected its age, but it worked well enough. I didn’t give it the attention it deserved until I discovered Black Nitride treatment, which changed it from a mildly entertaining shooter into an elegant, lightweight, all-weather stalking rifle. It actually seemed to shoot better too, if you disregard that one stray, at 200 yards:

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm not familiar with Nitride but the rifles look great. What should it cost compared to cerakote? (I've seen a couple rifles done with cerakote that made the bolt pretty sticky until it wore through the cerakote again... which seemed to defeat the purpose)

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
I'm not familiar with Nitride but the rifles look great. What should it cost compared to cerakote? (I've seen a couple rifles done with cerakote that made the bolt pretty sticky until it wore through the cerakote again... which seemed to defeat the purpose)

Also, for those of you who have gone with Nitride, please name the business or individual that was your applicator.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator

Also, for those of you who have gone with Nitride, please name the business or individual that was your applicator.

H&M Metal Processing of Akron OH did the Black Nitride treatment on my guns. It is a surface hardening treatment (nitrocarburization, I believe) rather than a coating, so dimensions are not changed. It is said to be harder than chrome (my experience seems to support this) and more rust resistant too (afraid to try). Cost is $220-ish for a batch of parts (not necessarily from the same gun, within reason). Steel parts only, including stainless, but no springs (process too hot for them). After returned from processing, aggressively clean barrel bore to remove process residue before shooting (a couple applications of JB abrasive bore paste did it for me). Check out Black Nitride specifics online.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nitride and hard chrome are far superior in my experience.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
On the other hand, Titanium Nitride is a thin coating, and not so durable. But it’s certainly flashy:

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Ive had several done by the some of the bigger names. Its garbage imho...chem resistant spray paint. Honestly engine or grill paint is just as good.

It works well at stoping corrosion but its soft and gets marred up and comes off easy. Ill never do another.

GOD Bless America
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,123 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.