Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Barbour looks good....however there is little warmth in the name....and very little water repellency....although it does well enough in the jaggers. Stinks considerably after awhile also.

When sporting clays came here, Barbour was everywhere...now it is rare to see any wearing it..

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Originally Posted by Blackheart
A modified choked pump works fine for me 90% of the time. I got the sxs for killing rabbits in front of my hounds. Reamed it out to modified and cyl. choke. With light loads in the open barrel could kill the 15-20 yard bunnies without turning them into spaghetti strainers and could still kill the 45 yard bunnies with the modified barrel stuffed with nickel plated #5 pheasant loads.

Makes sense....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

$2k per day. A nice $10k plus tips for a five day week, plus flights. Rivals Africa but actually isn’t too bad. Great food no doubt and wine.

6 days with an eight guns minimum. Round it up to 100K....the Donald likes round numbers....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Who's shooting it for you to kill the roosters? smile smile

My Sherpa....😀 Since he has to carry it...he might as well do the shooting also... only time I shoot is when we are shooting driven at Trumps place in Scotland.

Great I will pack my bags! When do we fly out? smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'd even foot the bill for Montana Creek Hunter.....If I could find a hat big enough for his pumpkin.....We would make a pair for sure....."Ayyyy Mate, the Birds today are fantastic.." "Ayyyy Archangels they are!!!!" "On to the next peg...cheers!!!!"

That be me chatting up the cute Scottish lass....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

No worries Battue I got a hat! smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

$2k per day. A nice $10k plus tips for a five day week, plus flights. Rivals Africa but actually isn’t too bad. Great food no doubt and wine.

6 days with an eight guns minimum. Round it up to 100K....the Donald likes round numbers....

Need seven very plush friends who tip big! Very nice looking place.

I can load my own gun. Would there be a discount for that? 😉

Yep, it didn’t like the smell of the Barbour coat after a couple of years of sweat...very working class of me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I'd even foot the bill for Montana Creek Hunter.....If I could find a hat big enough for his pumpkin.....We would make a pair for sure....."Ayyyy Mate, the Birds today are fantastic.." "Ayyyy Archangels they are!!!!" "On to the next peg...cheers!!!!"

That be me chatting up the cute Scottish lass....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

No worries Battue I got a hat! smile

The Donald said the only lettering allowed on hats would be MAGA....Your flower hat with SMYT, while acceptable at M&M will not be at Turnberry..

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
SxS for me. O/Us are for people whose eyes are stacked one on top of the other, single bbls are for cyclops. wink

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I think they're easy to shoot and carry and would love to find one that I liked. I should work on that some. I feel like they're overpriced for what you get. Am I wrong?

SKB 100/200 or Charles Daly 500's can all be had for under $1K and are great "shooter" SxS shotguns.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Really enjoy may SxS's....but I "point" better with a single barrel....why I don't know

Addition: But like pump shotguns....most today think they are something foreign and difficult....They're not

Just came back from a Pheasant hunt in S.D. and used a SxS and a pump....One guy asked me if I could get off a second shot with a pump....Friend I hunt with thinks it is an event that requires extreme manual dexterity....

And sometimes aiming is the way do it....on the hunt mentioned had two Roosters coming into the corn with wings set....stuck a vague out of focus bead on their chest and hit the trigger...Some top shotgunners will tell you there are times to have barrel awareness and other times you shoot the flash....It all depends on what the target allows based on target speed, distance, time and how you see it....

I'm in the same boat as Battue. I love SxS shotguns, but if I'm serious about hunting, a 16 gauge Model 12 (or Benelli) works best for me.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Can’t answer for Brister, but the more there is to attract the off eye, the greater chance it will take over. And there is definitely more with a SxS than a single barrel.

I've found this to be a problem for me with guns with splinter forends. I pick up my finger tips in my peripheral vision and it throws me. My current two SxSs (BSS's in 20 and 12) have ample beavertail forearms, which works better for me. I've never heard anyone else verbalize this issue so may just be me.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 12/20/20.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I could be happy with fixed Mod in a single or Mod/Mod in a 2 barrel and then forget about chokes......

I agree with this totally. I tend to shoot Mod in my single barrels and LM/M or M/M in anything with two barrels. I would be perfectly happy with fixed Modified in every shotgun I own and have been tempted a time or two to lock tight my Modified tubes in so I don't have to worry about tightening choke rubes any longer.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Most people that were raised shooting a single barrel seem to do better with an O/U when they switch to a double. The usual single trigger helps the transition, too--double triggers are a little quicker for barrel selection but that takes some getting used to.

In general with shotguns for wingshooting, stock fit is the most important factor: "If it fits, it hits!" One of my best hunting friends used a Mossburg bolt 20 repeater for his whole long hunting life and was one of the best wingshots I ever knew. And his cheapo gun fit him right out of the box.

Last edited by Mesa; 12/20/20.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I can shoot one about as well as I can the other in practical real world hunting situations. The narrower plain on O/U is an advantage but not a big one usually while hunting. I like the way a lightweight English style SXS carries and is usually what I hunt with. My clays guns are O/U’s.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.