H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No need for a 270 but that is clean and the price is pretty good.

Last edited by Mjduct; 11/21/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
IMO, judging by the mottled look of the barreled action bluing vs the almost pristine wood and bottom metal, I'd say that it's been partially refinished or replacement stock/bottom metal/buttplate. Good price for a user rifle though, and you wouldn't feel bad hauling it afield.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks like there might have been rust on the receiver and someone wiped it too hard with steel wool. Barrel has a bunch of small dings and scratches, stock is definitely a refinish and butt plate is either painted or something. Finish is not correct on it. Action of rifle shows it's been hunted hard in a dirty environment. Looking at the bolt handle, it appears the rifle has been shot a lot. I'd like to see the bolt face to see how much etching it has on it. Likely quite a bit. The barrel looks like it has had a cold blue treatment near the muzzle end. A good look down the bore would tell a good story. Generally I can look down the bore with my naked eye and say yay or nay. I'm thinking the rifling may have a lot of use on it. Appears to have been freefloated as well, so there may be a known accuracy issue. Floor plate was probably not original to this rifle, based on lack of wear on the finish. It would be roulette or a gamble on a rifle like this. The rifle was owned, at one point in time, by someone that treated it as a tool, not a family heirloom, then someone else tried to beautify it. To sell it, most likely. I'm thinking the seller knows all this, the reason its priced accordingly...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Looks like there might have been rust on the receiver and someone wiped it too hard with steel wool. Barrel has a bunch of small dings and scratches, stock is definitely a refinish and butt plate is either painted or something. Finish is not correct on it. Action of rifle shows it's been hunted hard in a dirty environment. Looking at the bolt handle, it appears the rifle has been shot a lot. I'd like to see the bolt face to see how much etching it has on it. Likely quite a bit. The barrel looks like it has had a cold blue treatment near the muzzle end. A good look down the bore would tell a good story. Generally I can look down the bore with my naked eye and say yay or nay. I'm thinking the rifling may have a lot of use on it. Appears to have been freefloated as well, so there may be a known accuracy issue. Floor plate was probably not original to this rifle, based on lack of wear on the finish. It would be roulette or a gamble on a rifle like this. The rifle was owned, at one point in time, by someone that treated it as a tool, not a family heirloom, then someone else tried to beautify it. To sell it, most likely. I'm thinking the seller knows all this, the reason its priced accordingly...

smile..... Lever right rifle.. Leave r right where you found it.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

smile..... Lever right rifle.. Leave r right where you found it.

Hell yes Cliff. I know you've been there and done that..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Come on guys, find a better deal than this... Its not hard to do.. It may take a little more effort and leg work.. Hell, my rechambered 300WBY is much better and more original than this rifle. handwerk, buy it and let us know how is shoots...wink wink and now you see why guys pay $300+ for an unoriginal pre 64 stock... Or $600.00 on a carbine 300H&H barrel.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Run don't walk away from this beauty, obviously been prettied up to sell. Metal has been cleaned/cold blued, buttplate lacks the bright edge and the wood doesn't appear to have much if any finish. A bit pricey for a hunter rifle even in today's economy.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Run don't walk away from this beauty, obviously been prettied up to sell. Metal has been cleaned/cold blued, buttplate lacks the bright edge and the wood doesn't appear to have much if any finish. A bit pricey for a hunter rifle even in today's economy.

Bit of a tangent, but did any featherweights ever leave the factory without a bright edge on the buttplate? My understanding is no ...

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
You guys bring up several good, correct points. Just figured if someone wanted a shooter to hunt with they are rarely seen in that price range. From what I've seen of late, pre 64 M70's have been edging up a bit.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by handwerk
From what I've seen of late, pre 64 M70's have been edging up a bit.

Agreed handwerk. I’d say 10-20% higher than 12-18 months ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a not a bad price for a rifle in that condition. Yes the stock is refinished and the floorplates been painted. But if the bore is good your golden for a great Featherweight. especially since it's in 270 which usually bring a good bit more than a '06. That rifle if the bore is good is twice the quality of about anything you can buy today.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've never seen a Featherweight without the bright edge on the buttplate.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I've never seen a Featherweight without the bright edge on the buttplate.

That's why I said it was painted or coated with something. There's a lot wrong with the originality of the rifle. Yes, the 270 fwt is a rare one as compared to the 30-06, but there are far better ones out there. I've seen them (270 fwt's) and handled them. There's also a reason the rifle doesn't have its original stock. Look at the condition of the metal. Its seen and had a rough life. I wouldn't touch it, but someone else here might. If I were someone interested in buying it and did buy it, I'd want to handle it, check function (every aspect of function, feeding, extraction, ejection, safety, trigger etc. etc), check the condition of the bore and chamber. Make sure it has an inspection period. If it didn't meet your satisfaction, send it back.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Perhaps my eyes, but folks seeing a lot more 'bad' here than me. From a photo log of my own collection, I know that some of my rifles came out in pix better than hands-on condition revealed and visa-versa with some coming out appearing much worse. Often light reflections a bugger!
The above rifle photos appear professionally done and may have been mildly 'shopped'. (Photoshop).

Concerning such discussions as this one... Dishonorable mention to all the guns on Internet auctions with simply a few atrocious photos! Most often such circumstance with pix so dark looking more like a 3-D shadows! Yet they sell!!! At least in the instant matter, pix seem decent & sufficient.

Over half decade of collecting, ever-reminder of nothing yet beating hands-on 'evals'. Just from what I can see and not necessarily agreeing with all the 'condemning' remarks here, not appearing a bad buy. Yet too, I'm not particularly imbued with the Fwt pre '64 genre due to the alloy bottom metal. IE: its propensity for easily scratching & underlying bare alloy bright contrast effectively highlighting.

Just my take
Best & Stay Safe
John

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Very few really nice all original pre 64 270 and 30-06 fwts in this part of the country, most have been hunted a fair amount. Gives them some character and they still are terrific hunting rifles!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
499 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 43 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.