Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I’m having issues, which I believe are related to the firing
pin in my 25-06 rem mountain rifle. No time to repair before the season. Can I just swap bolts with my 30-06 mountain rifle?

BP-B6

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If you have a way to check headspace it could work but it isn’t a straight swap without checking. Swapping firing pin assemblies would be an easy and safe test. Or just use the 30-06

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Interesting question. Yes, no, maybe. Do you have a gunsmith handy who can check the headspace in both rifles after the swap, assuming they both fit and work properly with the switch? That would be my main worry. I tried a swap using my two M700 Classics and it seems to work OK so other that the possible headspace issue I think it would work.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try chambering a sized case with the other bolt. Then put a piece of masking tape on the head of the case and try again. If it chambers without the tape but doesn't with the tape, you should be okay to use the bolt.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Why wouldn’t you just swap the firing pin assembly?

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Good question. Or just use the .30-06, as nimrod mentioned.

D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Good question. Or just use the .30-06, as nimrod mentioned.

Would have been very easy to just swap bolts. It’s really no biggie, but I have been doing some load development with the 25-06 and was wanting to use it. I’ll probably just run with the 30-06 or one of the others....
Thanks all

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would take less than a minute to swap firing pin assembly?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

IF,both rifles have not been trued/rebarreled or molested-

Measure the LENGTH of the bolt lugs.
.440" is mean dimension.

Swap the bolts & don't look back.

The last 4 digits of the receiver serial number are inscribed in the bolt body for identification purposes.

IF,either action has been trued/re-barreled you will need to take a couple measurements from the trued bolt for comparison.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Try chambering a sized case with the other bolt. Then put a piece of masking tape on the head of the case and try again. If it chambers without the tape but doesn't with the tape, you should be okay to use the bolt.

Do this and be done with it.

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by DrGnarr
I’m having issues, which I believe are related to the firing
pin in my 25-06 rem mountain rifle. No time to repair before the season. Can I just swap bolts with my 30-06 mountain rifle?

I would Swap firing pins first and see if that corrects your issue....Good luck...Hb

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
What problem are you having?

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by okie john
What problem are you having?

Okie John

It’s weird. The first shot, sometimes the second, have weak primer strikes. I first chalked it up to old primers but then it happened with new primers. One or two shots with weak primer strikes and then I can shoot all day just fine. The exact thing has happened in four trips to the range. Strange. Figured I’d replace the firing pin and spring.

I just stripped the whole bolt and pin down, cleaned, lube very very lightly, and reassembled. We’ll see. Should be able to hit the range Monday.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Last edited by DrGnarr; 11/22/20.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The chamber could be slightly too large, or if using reloads, maybe the shoulder is set back too far. (per the cartridge base tape- testing above - only neck sizing of fired cases in the same gun will alleviate) Short shoulders or sloppy chambers might allow the cartridge enough forward movement or displacement on firing to lessen the firing pin strike force, tho this should not happen only on the first round or two, but elsewhere.

Are the primers fully seated in clean, tight pockets?

But it really sounds like firing pin mechanics - gunk or rough surfaces or a burr somewhere may be sticking things up and weakening or shortening the strike until loosened up by the first few rounds Thickened oil (by evaporation, dirt, or cold) on the fp shaft could do this. I use only dry to touch stuff like Eezox or Corrosion X for that purpose. So good deal on the bolt strip and clean.

I would also check firing pin protrusion and for a shortened/weakened fp spring. (Never, ever, store a firearm cocked - dry firing it on storage will not hurt it, and will help preserve fp spring strength.)

You may find it is a combination of things.

If replacing fp and/or spring, Tubb may make a kit or spring for the Rem? , as well as for the M70 (installed on my 7X57)

You can also buy "overstrength" fp springs. (Wolf?)

Last edited by las; 11/22/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
DrGnarr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by las
The chamber could be slightly too large, or if using reloads, maybe the shoulder is set back too far. (per the cartridge base tape- testing above - only neck sizing of fired cases in the same gun will alleviate) Short shoulders or sloppy chambers might allow the cartridge enough forward movement or displacement on firing to lessen the firing pin strike force, tho this should not happen only on the first round or two, but elsewhere.

Are the primers fully seated in clean, tight pockets?

But it really sounds like firing pin mechanics - gunk or rough surfaces or a burr somewhere may be sticking things up and weakening or shortening the strike until loosened up by the first few rounds Thickened oil (by evaporation, dirt, or cold) on the fp shaft could do this. I use only dry to touch stuff like Eezox or Corrosion X for that purpose. So good deal on the bolt strip and clean.

I would also check firing pin protrusion and for a shortened/weakened fp spring. (Never, ever, store a firearm cocked - dry firing it on storage will not hurt it, and will help preserve fp spring strength.)

You may find it is a combination of things.

If replacing fp and/or spring, Tubb may make a kit or spring for the Rem? , as well as for the M70 (installed on my 7X57)

You can also buy "overstrength" fp springs. (Wolf?)

I’m almost certain with these reloads I only resized the neck, which is what I do 99% of the time for all my reloads. I’ll look into it though.

I did buy it used and there is a custom work done on it. It was an ADL. The ADL barrel was replaced with a rem mountain rifle barrel.

Maybe I’ll take it to a smith for a once over if my clean job doesn’t work for me. It was pretty funky in there.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
1: go tot the range
2: put the other bolt in the rifle
3: load the rifle
4: pull the trigger>

Since the gauges for the 30.06 and 25/05 (also 280, 270, 35 whelan) are the SAME, what EXACTLY do people think you're checking on "head space"??? So many internet experts "Check the headspace" have NP Idea what it is ot what it means.

There was a discussion on another forum where a guy inherited a rifle (a well known brand) and could get a replacement bolt from a major supplier. For some reason his family had taken the bolt out and lost it. Lots of people on that forum were : Check the head space".... I said order the bolt from the supplier, and shoot it...

From Brownells Site:

ITEM DETAILS
Cartridge: 25-06 Remington, 6.5-06, 270 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield, 8 mm-06, 338-06, 35 Whelen

Style: Go Gauge

Made in the USA

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you should get a first clue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
you should get a first clue.

You got that right, Don. He should be taking notes here, not giving advise. Somebody could get hurt.

Hancock,

Headspace is set for a given receiver and bolt when the barrel is chambered. Different bolts may have different length/geometry of lugs, and may interface differently with the receiver, causing a change in headspace. Headspace could be reset for that bolt by extending the chamber with a finish reamer, taking material off the back of the bolt lugs, or by setting back the barrel and rechambering.

Bottom line is, it’s possible for one bolt to close on a GO and not close on a NO-GO, but for another bolt in the same rifle not to do so.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Since the gauges for the 30.06 and 25/05 (also 280, 270, 35 whelan) are the SAME,"

That's not quite right. The .280 Rem. is a fraction longer to Darwin types cannot load it into a .270. Proper headspace for the .280 would be excess headspace for the 2505..270, 30-06 and .35 Whelen.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That is like saying all 2x4's are the same length. Not after being installed. Same as headspace. It fits THAT barrel and bolt together. We are talking about thousandths here

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,407 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.