Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you decided to go to a fixed 6, at that point, you might really want to look into those pivot or tip-off weavers. They’re neat. Low. It’s great. Depending on what kind of distances you’re shooting, or your son to pass it on too. At fixed 4, I haven’t had the situation happen, yet, where I wanted to push the scope off to kill something. But, 6x, you might.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by S99VG
If the condition of the two rifles was equal then it was probably a square trade for you both. They are both centerfire lever guns fully capable of getting the job done. However I might give a slight edge to the Savage only on account of Marlin having made a boat load of 336s making the 99 a tad bit more scarce on the used gun market. What do you think? Was the trade a good one?

Good points there and I’m happy with the trade.

I had 485$ total tied up with the Marlin,

So, value wise........

For $485.00 into your Marlin I'd say you made a good trade. As for a scope, I'd go with the best glass you can get for that gun. if you are going to hunt then it's a tool and why handicap yourself with a less than adequate tool. Get a good modern scope that falls within a price range appropriate for that 99. I think a good fixed 4 power Leopold from any of their line of scopes would work fine. Just my two cents worth however when adjusted for inflation may not add up to a plugged cent.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
If the condition of the two rifles was equal then it was probably a square trade for you both. They are both centerfire lever guns fully capable of getting the job done. However I might give a slight edge to the Savage only on account of Marlin having made a boat load of 336s making the 99 a tad bit more scarce on the used gun market. What do you think? Was the trade a good one?

Good points there and I’m happy with the trade.

I had 485$ total tied up with the Marlin,

So, value wise........

For $485.00 into your Marlin I'd say you made a good trade. As for a scope, I'd go with the best glass you can get for that gun. if you are going to hunt then it's a tool and why handicap yourself with a less than adequate tool. Get a good modern scope that falls within a price range appropriate for that 99. I think a good fixed 4 power Leopold from any of their line of scopes would work fine. Just my two cents worth however when adjusted for inflation may not add up to a plugged cent.

Good advice cause it’s going hunting with me.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by damnesia
Why is this thread still going on..

Much appreciate your interest and input.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Gents, another question on this rifle please.

The tang safety is “very” easy to operate between the safe and fire positions.

Has anyone here ever had occasion to make theirs more tight or have a more positive feel when switching?

If so, what and how did you do it?

I haven’t disassembled mine yet to see what the possibilities might be to firm this up for a more positive, definitive feel.

Thanks in advance, Gents.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Picked one up today in a even swap for my Marlin 336 in .35 Remington with a illuminated Bushnell Gold series scope.

The 99F that I now have is in pretty pristine condition with a few scratches on the stock but otherwise solid in all respects.
It’s D&T, made in 1964, gold trigger and with the open sights. Bore is excellent. 308 Winchester caliber. Tang safety.

Swivel studs are front and rear,,,may not be original??

The old gent that I swapped with said it really kicks hard, he’s 77 yrs old.

Best place to by bases and mounts for it?

ETA:
Thanks Gents

Toot

The old man might have told you right. I once had a post mil 308. It was the most miserable rifle I’ve ever shot. I don’t know why, but it’s recoil just hurt. I am accustomed to shooting high power rifles. This was the only one I found objectionable.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
If you decided to go to a fixed 6, at that point, you might really want to look into those pivot or tip-off weavers. They’re neat. Low. It’s great. Depending on what kind of distances you’re shooting, or your son to pass it on too. At fixed 4, I haven’t had the situation happen, yet, where I wanted to push the scope off to kill something. But, 6x, you might.

I have been using the Leupold 6x42 for an awful long time and have now switched to the Meopta 6x42 and most recently a Kahles 6x42. I have have shot deer at less than 10 yards with both the Leupold and Meopta and looking through the Kahles at that range i dont think it will have any problems either

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Picked one up today in a even swap for my Marlin 336 in .35 Remington with a illuminated Bushnell Gold series scope.

The 99F that I now have is in pretty pristine condition with a few scratches on the stock but otherwise solid in all respects.
It’s D&T, made in 1964, gold trigger and with the open sights. Bore is excellent. 308 Winchester caliber. Tang safety.

Swivel studs are front and rear,,,may not be original??

The old gent that I swapped with said it really kicks hard, he’s 77 yrs old.

Best place to by bases and mounts for it?

ETA:
Thanks Gents

Toot

The old man might have told you right. I once had a post mil 308. It was the most miserable rifle I’ve ever shot. I don’t know why, but it’s recoil just hurt. I am accustomed to shooting high power rifles. This was the only one I found objectionable.

I shot it and it’s plenty stout with 180 gr Core-Loks. I had an unopened Limbsaver slip on recoil pad that fit it like a glove and got my LOP correct.

That pad vs the bare steel butt plate is like night and day difference and so much better.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 37 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.