Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I've got a couple of M-76 sporters I've had in the safe for years. Developed some big medical issues for a few years, then had financial issues due to the medical stuff. Explains my absence here for a very, very long time.

When I got back on my feet in both respects, I found these rifles problematic, with increasingly deep issues.

I read up on their site they specialize in these rifles, and wanted to do some due diligence before sending one of these off to get worked upon.

So...if anyone has dealt with them before, what was your experience like? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Thanks in advance.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
With 50+views and no replies, I'll take this as a "No, no one here has had any dealings with Assault Weapons of Ohio". Thanks anyway.

Any one here have any experience with the M-76 sporter rifle, sold about a decade ago?

Thanks in advance.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't imagine their company name is drawing a lot of business to them.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by local_dirt

My guess is, if they're dumb enough to come up with a name like that, they're not smart enough to work on guns....not my guns anyway.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cra1948

My guess is, if they're dumb enough to come up with a name like that, they're not smart enough to work on guns....not my guns anyway.

I hear ya. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There are plenty of capable gunsmiths all over Texas, I suggest checking with members at the local ranges for suggestions

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one of their m76 rifles I bought and I never fired it. When I fired it, the headspace was wayyyy out. Called them, they picked it up and put a replacemnt barrel in it no hassle. Good to go now!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a positive experience and mine was way after 2012!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

First Red Flag, right there.

I would pass them by just based on that.

Be like buying a handgun made by Saturday Night Special Pistol Company... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T

Thanks.

I prowl over there under a different moniker. This particular thread did not come up on a search with the company's name as the search words. Wonder why...

Well, from responses I've gathered over 4 different forums, it looks like this company got it's start from buying up surplus M76's which had a lot of different problems, and most were not patterned after the original blueprints Zavasta has. After they sold their original troubled stock, the subsequent M-76's of recent production appear to be more or less reliable.

It also appears they are great on customer service when selling...not so great on backing their products up after the sale.

It looks like I have limited options. Since the idea of an AK chambered in the 8mm Mauser round still is a cool idea to me, I will have to learn from scratch how to build one of these back.

I know my way around a Mauser action; most of my rifles not specifically Mausers are Mauser-based actions.

Never had an interest on working with semiautos. Bolt-action and lever action always put the meat on the table.

Over the last several years, I've acquired a few semi's. Time to learn how to go past field strip to clean, and look at how to disassemble to repair and rebuild.

Please be patient should I pose a question anyone here would find too obvious. I'm learning the elementary basics at the same time as handling advanced issues.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
they actually bought m76 recievers from an estate of Ohio Rapid Fire , along with galil, and a couple other brands of receivers when the owner of Ohio Rapid Fire Passed away. Assault Systems of Ohio bought the receivers and corrected the inherent problems in the receivers .
linky

https://www.theakforum.net/threads/notice-ohio-rapid-fire-closed.106294/

Last edited by tal35; 11/22/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.