Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#15440962 11/22/20
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
From my thread below, I've picked a bad time, but I've decided to get back into reloading.

My previous press was a Forster Co-Ax, but seeing they're out of stock everywhere, what do you guys think about the MEC single-stage press found at the link below. I'm considering it or the Redding Big Boss II.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading...le-stage-reloading-press-prod103797.aspx

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I can't help you with the MEC But last year I bought a RCBS Summit press and love it you can't prime on it but I always use a hand primer so no big deal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag. Interested to hear. It looks in spirit to be a robust co-ax in spirit, with a different “ring”, essentially.

Using a co-ax among others, now, so don’t have a good reason to buy one. Yet.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Still liking my Lee Cast.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MEC seems to have a small following, it everyone that has them seems to love them. I’ve done a little research and I’m thinking of going to a MEC from my Hornady Lock N Load. I like the features the MEC offers over some of the others. If you go on YouTube, there are several reviews on MEC presses.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
MEC shotgun presses are great, I see no reason why the metallic press would not be good. I went RCBS and stayed with them.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Gavin at Ultimate Reloading does a fairly detailed review of the Mec Marksman and it's also included in his comparison of 14 presses. If you look carefully, you won't find anything bad about it, but there are several other presses that the same can be said about them. It just comes down to personal preferences. Brownell's has the best price I've seen on the press itself, but doesn't stock all the accessories. Midsouth, Midway, Grafs and others might have some of the accessories in stock (stand riser, die rack, tray holders, short handle, cover, etc.) that Brownell's doesn't, but their prices for the press are a little higher. Shipping costs might bust buying from multiple sources unless you're ordering other stuff from them -- ordinarily, I would just buy enough bullets to make it worthwhile, but nowadays can't find enough in stock. Whoever has the dies you need might make the difference.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ultimate Reloader (gavintoobe) and Panhandle Precision each have pretty good video reviews of the MEC metallic press and some of the accessories that go with it. Each had favorable comments.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have several MEC shotgun loaders, loaded thousands and thousands of shells on them. If rifle press is as good, it will be a Dandy. I load rifle shell on an old RockChucker. It’s loaded thousands too. Good deals on them on EBay. RCBS stands behind their stuff even if you lose a little piece. They send you a part for free. If I was starting out again, I’d buy a rockchucker press.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StudDuck
From my thread below, I've picked a bad time, but I've decided to get back into reloading.

My previous press was a Forster Co-Ax, but seeing they're out of stock everywhere, what do you guys think about the MEC single-stage press found at the link below. I'm considering it or the Redding Big Boss II.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading...le-stage-reloading-press-prod103797.aspx

If I knew then what I know now, Redding T7, in stock.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Agreed, I love my T7. And if the OP is considering the Co-Ax, he's already in the price range of the T7.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

Agreed, I love my T7. And if the OP is considering the Co-Ax, he's already in the price range of the T7.

My previous press was a Co-Ax. I'm considering the MEC and Big Boss II, but you are correct, the T7 and Co-Ax are near the same price.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

I have a MEC for shotgun shells and have no issues. Also own a T7 & a Co-Ax press. Bought the T7 when they first came out years ago and bought the co-ax several years ago with the idea of getting rid of the T7. I am now thinking of getting rid of the co-ax and giving it to my brother who is getting into reloading. If I were to start over right now, I would also have a close look at the new Lyman All American 8 press. It looks like a T7 with 8 holes which I could find handy.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Why is a turret press better than a press with a quick-change bushing?

and

Does a turret press give the same kind of SD for head to datum resizing and head to bullet ogive seating as a good single stage?

Last edited by Western_Juniper; 11/26/20.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Why is a turret press better than a press with a quick-change bushing?

It's probably not any better, but it's not any worse either.

and
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper

Does a turret press give the same kind of SD for head to datum resizing and head to bullet ogive seating as a good single stage?

Yes, at least as close as it can be measured accurately.

A lot of emphasis is placed on alignment of the ram and die when comparing conventional presses to a floating head press. But, as the brass is pushed up into the die it "follows" the die. A certain amount of slop is present in a conventional press with a conventioal shellholder and that allows for the brass to follow the die as the brass is run up into the die. A floating head like the CO-AX is doing what is already happening with a conventional press. Up to a point at least. I didn't get any straighter ammo with my former CO-AX than I do with a conventional press.

Knowing what I know now I would buy a turret press. Based on friend's experience with all three, Redding, RCBS, and Lyman turret presses all work well.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 21 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.