24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago Barnes compared their bullets to Berger in regards to wound channels. It convinced me to use Bergers and I have ever since.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 30338
Years ago Barnes compared their bullets to Berger in regards to wound channels. It convinced me to use Bergers and I have ever since.

Funny, I remember that, and I came away with the same conclusion! I eventually tried Barnes bullets, but I've had a 50-cents-per-bullet rule for a long time, and Barnes have to be on sale to get purchased.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
For a number of years, I'd use Barnes bullets off and on. Never had a issue. Accuracy seemed very pleasing along with terminal performance. Now, I work in the Ballistic Lab at Barnes, my opinion of Barnes has gone through the roof. It's not just brand loyalty but seeing the steps gone through to not only bring a bullet to market but keep it shooting tight groups and expanding as designed, in game animals.

As for the higher cost. Well, copper is an expensive base metal. Taking the extra step to cut the grooves/cannulures in the TSX/TTSX/LRX bullet will add cost. The amount of continued testing to insure quality in accuracy and bullet expansion, costs money. Between what i've seen and have heard from others in the industry, the ballistic Lab Barnes is far above that of many other bullet companies. Wish I could go into specifics but need to be careful to not divulge any trade secrets, etc., so as not to get myself into trouble. I LOVE my job!

Alan

PS. Now that we are under different management, look forward to many greater things from Barnes!

Last edited by GSSP; 11/22/20.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Please tell them, release the .458, 400 grain TSX to the public market.
And don’t forget the 416 Ruger load data !!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think Barnes is no more. Owned by the outfit that owned Remington, and Remington no longer exists in any form. I spent most of a day on three different search engines to purchase all the Vor-TX .338 WinMag 225 TTSX I could find. As they are submoa in my rifle. I believe they were purchased at bankruptcy, and any ammo out there or components is likely remaining 2019 stock. I would guess it will be a couple of years before we see loaded ammo or components. Whose to say that the new firm will follow the old formulas?

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
I think Barnes is no more. Owned by the outfit that owned Remington, and Remington no longer exists in any form. I spent most of a day on three different search engines to purchase all the Vor-TX .338 WinMag 225 TTSX I could find. As they are submoa in my rifle. I believe they were purchased at bankruptcy, and any ammo out there or components is likely remaining 2019 stock. I would guess it will be a couple of years before we see loaded ammo or components. Whose to say that the new firm will follow the old formulas?

Sierra owns them now, from my understanding.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am not saying Barnes are miracle bullets, nor are any other.
Barnes bullets have shot great in most all my rifles and I have had no performance issues. My experiences of game have been with 338, 375, and 416 cartridges. I have been very pleased with groups from .277, .284, .308, .323, .338, .375, .416. Again not a miracle bullet, but in my limited experience a darn good one.

People speak of the fouling. I have experienced as much or more copper fouling from Swift A-Frames than I did from the original X-bullet, from the same rifles. The A-Frame is a copper jacketed bullet. I like A-Frames also.
I think most any of the monolithic style perform similarly as to on game performance. The Barnes happened to be the first I tried and are still the first I try. But, I have no hesitation with Nosler, Federal, or Hornady versions if they shoot well in the particular rifle.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek

They aren't going to stop making bullets or money. Businesses where something is actually produced operate bottom--->up, not top---->down. Are they just going to sit on their hands there at the factory, waiting for someone to "buy" the company, so they can get back to making stuff that is in demand?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
This is public knowledge. Sierra bullets bought Barnes Bullets about 2 months back. Clarus, a Salt Lake City based company, owns Sierra, aka, they own us.

https://www.claruscorp.com/our-brands

Clarus is super charged to have us build "A LOT" more bullets and ammo. Give it some time but I believe you will start seeing Barnes products increasing their availability over the next bit of time as we ramp up production. If their is a product you especially want, contact Barnes customer service directly and convey your desire. They can relay that to the "powers to be" at Barnes.

Alan

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
GSSP;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust the day's been a good one for you and this finds you well.

Thanks kindly for the update on Barnes bullets status, I very much appreciate you doing so.

Hopefully the transition into stepped up production will be smooth and relatively uneventful for those of you involved in actually doing it, I say that coming from a lifetime of work in production facilities by the way.

Thanks again, all the best to you all and Happy Thanksgiving.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,799 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.