I was chasin guns over east last Friday (November 20th) and came across a really cool Marlin Model 39A with an octagon barrel - it is vintage 1972.
It appears to me to be in all original condition and 98% plus over-all.
This model apparently came with a special front sight (?) that has no provision for a sight hood. It also has NO Marlin Bullseye in the rear buttstock - I don't know why - but the picture in my Marlin book (Marlin Firearms - A History Of The Guns And The Company That Made Them - Brophy) on page 285 shows this variation and it is not evident that this variation came with the Marlin Bullseye from that picture - it is my understanding that some Model 39's did not NOT have the Marlin Bullseye - I am not positive about that.
Anyway I was sorely tempted to buy it or at least deal on it without knowing much about this octagon barrel model.
The asking price was $800.00 (no sales tax in Montana).
If anyone may be interested the Rifle is in the Powder Horn Gunshop in downtown Bozeman, Montana with a phone number of 406-922-1562.
The gunshop is over 115 miles from me so I can not easily return to help answer any questions on this Rifle. According to the Brophy book only 2,551 of these octagon barrel Model 39A Rifles were produced (1972 - 1973)!
It may be some time before I get back to that shop but after checking it out in the Brophy book my interest is now more intense.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy