-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first gun shop I bought anything from suddenly closed, the owner was accused of selling guns to the IRA.

Don't remember if he went to jail or not.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Joe Pepitone, New York Yankee great, happened to be shopping for an over-under for skeet/trap shooting when I was in a Long Island gun store back in the early 1990s. I happened to have a baseball and mitt in my trunk. I asked him if he would sign them both, if I went out and brought them into the store. He happily agreed. I still have them both.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One day I got a call at the shop from a customer who had a question about scopes.

Customer: "What does it mean when a scope is 4x32?"

Me: "It means the scope is a four power with a 32mm objective lens."

Customer: "What does four power mean?"

Me: "It means that if your target is 100 yards away, the target looks like it's only 25 yards away"

Customer: "Does the bullet still have to go the whole 100 yards?"

Long pause.

Me: "No, sir, The target merely appears to be 25 yards away. The scope does not actually compress space-time."

Somehow I managed to hang up before I started laughing.

Last edited by natman; 11/22/20.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I was in the original Bud's gunshop back when it was a small shop actually owned by Bud about 35 years ago.It was a storefront kind of place,...not very wide but fairly long. It had a couple of racks running the length of the store that were about 6' tall.

Just me, another guy, and the guy behind the counter. The other guy asked to look at a .357 revolver. He picked it up and started walking off cocking the hammer, then pulling the trigger,,...went over behind the rack and walked to the back of the store where he couldn't be seen.

I thought it was odd. Then I looked at the guy behind the counter (not Bud) and he had a very "no nonsense" look on his face and was staring very intently towards where the guy went.

After maybe 45 seconds, the guy walked back, placed the revolver on the counter, then walked out without saying a word.

I asked the guy behind the counter,..who was now looking out the door the guy had just walked out of, "What the hell was that about?" He didn't say anything,...just shook his head.

To this day, I think that guy was going to load that revolver and rob the place,....but lost his nerve. Maybe because I had walked in. I wasn't carrying, but he didn't know that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The gun store I worked in was not too far from a high crime region. I had a couple of gang bangers come in looking for a "9". They reeked of pot. They picked the cheapest one out of the counter. I told them to hold on and I will get one out of the back in the box. I stalled back there and then told them we were out. One of them said to give him the one in the display. Nope, we don't sell display guns. They left.

Had a real fast talking New Yorker try and buy a handgun out of state, no permit, no ID. Get out!

Had a few obvious attempted straw purchases with one guy telling the payer what to do.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
best time I had in gun shops was 80's and 90's where you just walked in got couple pounds of powder few hundred primers bullet heads. nobody bought 100K primers 2 tons of powder 50K bullets at once like they do now. same people tell you that you have a mental problem if you did not stoop to their level and empty store shelves

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
1963, Bullseye Gun Shop on NW 27th Ave on the north side of Miami. I was nine and my dad took me to get my first firearm, a Winchester single shot 22 rifle and the salesman threw in two boxes of yellow box Winchester LRs. I don't think I've ever derived more pleasure ifrom a firearm ever.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No stories but all the above makes me think how lucky we are to have Larry's here in Huntsville. Place is unbelievable. Store looks like the average size, well stocked gun store. But the retail area only takes up about 10% of the place. They have many thousands of guns and many millions of rounds of ammo. What a lot o people do not know is the really good stuff never makes it up front. As I was told, why put a 10,000 dollar gun up front for hundreds of looky lous to handle and mess up. They know the serious buyers and you are quietly told they may have such and such you might want to look at. Never hurts to ask what a gun store has in the back. Especially if your looking for something special.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UPhiker
We had an older gentleman come in to shoot on our range. We have a printed copy of our range rules that shooters have to read and initial, so they know what they can, and can't do. For some reason, so many people read the questions out loud while they're answering them. One of the questions asks how much firearms experience you have. He read it and answered aloud "I qualified Expert in the Army, so I must be an expert" (he was Nam-era). He then asked for some 20ga slugs for his slug gun. Five minutes later, he was back at the counter b*tching. "These shells won't shoot in my gun. It's probably because they're 2 3/4 and my barrel says 3 inch". I went out on the range to see what was wrong. He had an 870 slug gun and the barrel looked kinda big. I looked, and sure enough, it was a 12ga. The bad part of retail is you can't embarrass a dumbasz customer too much, but it was good for a laugh.

I was in a Gander Mtn one time looking at ammo. This guy walks up and is having a LOUD phone conversation with another guy. All I klow is I heard .308 Norma Mag on the other end of the phone. Guy grabs a box of .308 Wins and says Don't worry i got you some ammo. He started to walk away and I said those wont work in a .308 Norma Mag. He turns around and tells me they say.308 right on them. I told him for loaded .308 Norma mag ammo hes going to need a reloading press or a time machine but those .308 Wins wont work. He walked away with the shells.

Last edited by k20350; 11/22/20.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by k20350
Originally Posted by UPhiker
We had an older gentleman come in to shoot on our range. We have a printed copy of our range rules that shooters have to read and initial, so they know what they can, and can't do. For some reason, so many people read the questions out loud while they're answering them. One of the questions asks how much firearms experience you have. He read it and answered aloud "I qualified Expert in the Army, so I must be an expert" (he was Nam-era). He then asked for some 20ga slugs for his slug gun. Five minutes later, he was back at the counter b*tching. "These shells won't shoot in my gun. It's probably because they're 2 3/4 and my barrel says 3 inch". I went out on the range to see what was wrong. He had an 870 slug gun and the barrel looked kinda big. I looked, and sure enough, it was a 12ga. The bad part of retail is you can't embarrass a dumbasz customer too much, but it was good for a laugh.

I was in a Gander Mtn one time looking at ammo. This guy walks up and is having a LOUD phone conversation with another guy. All I klow is I heard .308 Norma Mag on the other end of the phone. Guy grabs a box of .308 Wins and says Don't worry i got you some ammo. He started to walk away and I said those wont work in a .308 Norma Mag. He turns around and tells me they say.308 right on them. I told him for .308 Norma mag ammo hes going to need a reloading press or a time machine but those .308 Wins wont work. He walked away with the shells.

LOL. grin That's awesome!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sometime in 1990, I was in London wandering around by myself and I decided to pay Holland & Holland a visit. The store is incredible and while I was looking around, a Limey in a 3-piece suit asked if he could help me with anything, I chuckled a little and said: "No thanks, I'm just here to gawk." He reached over to a rack, grabbed what looked like a large bore double rifle, handed it to my and said: "have a look." I looked at the incredible firearm in my hands, and discovered it was a 32 bore sxs scatter-gun, priced at reasonable £32,000.00 - the exchange rate was ~ 2:1 at that time. Since I was the only "customer" in the store, he proceeded to lead me all around showing me all manner of Holland & Holland firearms and he allowed me to handle each of them. All of them were truly incredibly firearms - many of which were north of £100,000.00. What struck me the most, other that the craftsmanship, was just how well all of the guns balanced. H&H has ergonomics down pat, that's for damn sure. I ended up spending almost 2 hours there and he was full of information and answered all of my questions - which were many. It was truly an experience to remember.

Unfortunately, I was lacking the funds to take one home to TX.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/22/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I watched a gunshop expert in Idaho Falls sell a couple a smith 38 special and 2 boxes of 38 super ammo the other day. I comment that those shells won't fit that gun and the salesman said ignore him they are 38's and its a 38.

Bb

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V

Originally Posted by 16bore
Clark Brothers in Warrenton, Va. I don’t think a thing has changed in 50+ years. Quite overpriced, but NOVA has a lot of money.

My brother and I went there religiously. Too young to purchase guns and ammo, but a friend of my dad’s would allow us to buy ammo and shoot on the range as long as we brought back all the empties before we left.

You couldn’t pay me to shoot there today though.

Live just down the road from there and share your sentiments about the place.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Haven’t been to Clark Brothers since I moved out of VA in 05. Used to be a guy that worked there named John that referred to me as ‘easy money’, if that tells you how much I spent there. I’ve heard it’s changed a bit. Used to head to Green Top quite often as well. I liked the old place more than the new one.

Old70

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Sometime in 1990, I was in London wandering around by myself and I decided to pay Holland & Holland a visit. The store is incredible and while I was looking around, a Limey in a 3-piece suit asked if he could help me with anything, I chuckled a little and said: "No thanks, I'm just here to gawk." He reached over to a rack, grabbed what looked like a large bore double rifle, handed it to my and said: "have a look." I looked at the incredible firearm in my hands, and discovered it was a 32 bore sxs scatter-gun, priced at reasonable £32,000.00 - the exchange rate was ~ 2:1 at that time. Since I was the only "customer" in the store, he proceeded to lead me all around showing me all manner of Holland & Holland firearms and he allowed me to handle each of them. All of them were truly incredibly firearms - many of which were north of £100,000.00. What struck me the most, other that the craftsmanship, was just how well all of the guns balanced. H&H has ergonomics down pat, that's for damn sure. I ended up spending almost 2 hours there and he was full of information and answered all of my questions - which were many. It was truly
an experience to remember.

Now there's a great story!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sometime in 1990, I was in London wandering around by myself and I decided to pay Holland & Holland a visit. The store is incredible and while I was looking around, a Limey in a 3-piece suit asked if he could help me with anything, I chuckled a little and said: "No thanks, I'm just here to gawk." He reached over to a rack, grabbed what looked like a large bore double rifle, handed it to my and said: "have a look." I looked at the incredible firearm in my hands, and discovered it was a 32 bore sxs scatter-gun, priced at reasonable £32,000.00 - the exchange rate was ~ 2:1 at that time. Since I was the only "customer" in the store, he proceeded to lead me all around showing me all manner of Holland & Holland firearms and he allowed me to handle each of them. All of them were truly incredibly firearms - many of which were north of £100,000.00. What struck me the most, other that the craftsmanship, was just how well all of the guns balanced. H&H has ergonomics down pat, that's for damn sure. I ended up spending almost 2 hours there and he was full of information and answered all of my questions - which were many. It was truly an experience to remember.

Thanks. That's a fascinating place. I was in there one time, just to look. No one else was there except a gentleman who worked there. He asked if I wished to see anything in particular, and I didn't so he brought out a really superb side by side 410 or 28 gauge shotgun, I don't remember which. It was $42,000 as I recall and was the lightest, best handling shotgun I have ever held. Absolutely superb.
Nice to be reminded of that.

One other sort-of-gun store experience was when I was driving across country and stopped outside of Tulsa in Claremore to see the hotel that J.M. Davis had. He had guns in glass display cases in the lobby. He said we- I had a friend with me- could go upstairs and look and he had rooms of that 4 or 5 story hotel filled with guns. One room would be the Winchester lever gun room, another would be Remington, etc, etc. There were machine guns on the walls upstairs. He had two or three Walker Colt pistols. I saw two but I think he said he had three. He's gone now--this was 50 years ago- and his collection is in the hands of the state and some are on display at a nice museum. (https://www.thegunmuseum.com/).

Now that it's been mentioned it might have been the 32 bore In Holland and Holland. It's been a long time and maybe it was that the price was 42,00 pounds. Out of my budget for sure.

Last edited by g5m; 11/23/20.

Retired cat herder.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Years ago I was in a gun shop that also sold archery equipment. Guy walked in the night before archery deer season and said he borrowed a bow from a buddy and needed one arrow for the next day’s hunt. Salesman said is one all you need ? “ I only have one tag” was his reply.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Same experience there. I noted that the current inventory was a bit beyond my means and he replied "but it may not always be and we want you to think of us if that becomes the case". Heck of a salesman!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
My wife and I were walking to a pub recommended to us by the Marriott hotel concierge near Hyde Park in London about 12 years ago when I looked across the street and saw James Purdey and Sons. Unlike HighNoon and Pugs however, it was a "bank holiday" and they were closed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by travelingman1
No stories but all the above makes me think how lucky we are to have Larry's here in Huntsville. Place is unbelievable. Store looks like the average size, well stocked gun store. But the retail area only takes up about 10% of the place. They have many thousands of guns and many millions of rounds of ammo. What a lot o people do not know is the really good stuff never makes it up front. As I was told, why put a 10,000 dollar gun up front for hundreds of looky lous to handle and mess up. They know the serious buyers and you are quietly told they may have such and such you might want to look at. Never hurts to ask what a gun store has in the back. Especially if your looking for something special.

You would love Joel Etchen in Laughlintown Pa.

I drive by for years, no idea it's a gun shop.
One day a friend mentioned it, so the next time by, I stopped.
It's a block building, sided by slabs.
The sign has the name, and a claybird being broken.
Until you know it's a gun shop, you dont see the clay bird.
There is no indication of guns.
They keep the door locked, when you try to open it, they let you in.
Walking in, it's just accessories.
A hard left takes you through a vault door into the gun room.
High dollar shotguns aren't my thing, but nothing in there goes under $1k.
And you can pick up the stuff under about $3k.
The good stuff is locked in cases.
Not my show, but a neat place.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

623 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,011 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,255
Posts18,448,109
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.