Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sounds like a good time, thanks for the story I enjoyed reading it. Congrats on a nice buck also.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well done dad, before you know it you will be trying to get your tag-along on a nice deer.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Little guy loves to go hunt and fish. I think he’s been in on the shooting of 3 or 4 bucks, a big gobbler, and at least 40 pigs in his short life. I’m pretty sure he’s the only kid in his preK class who’s caught a 9lb bass and a 30lb catfish too. He got a Savage Rascal for his 5th Birthday this fall so I have a feeling stuffs going to need to look out! I think getting to take him hunting and fishing is the most rewarding things I’ve ever done.

I had Momma on a good buck this evening, big heavy 10 with a rooster spur kicker off his G2 on his left side. Unfortunately his girlfriend led him over the hill out of her range. He was a dandy so maybe we’ll catch up with him in a day or two. If not he’ll really be a toad next year.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great write up Kid, like that you got the little guy into the hunting and fishing! Bet he will remember this hunt and tell his kids about it! Happy Hunting.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kid

Second response. YE HAW !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Can't imaging a better opening day.....nice buck and great post!!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Darn cool!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well done!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Great write-up!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great write up and sounds like a blast for you two. I wonder why more guys dont shoot the 257wby , excellent cartridge.

I gotta admit, I didnt get that OK was Oklahoma until I clicked so I was wondering what kind of Okay rifle someone wanted in 2020.

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice buck interesting combo cartridge/bullet-wise.

Very awesome hunting pard there too man enjoy it while you can that’s awesome.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
We ran to the hills when I got home this evening and went up to our perch overlooking a saddle between two canyons where the deer cross. Didn’t see much so I decided to try the rattling horns. Within a minute we had a big eight pointer come in like he was on a string. 25 yards and the Mrs never could get a clear shot. He finally lost interest and went back into the big thicket he’d come charging out of. Hopefully he’ll be close by since he didn’t spook. Exciting evening hunt anyway.

Insofar as the 257 and 85gr BTips. I had a bunch loaded up one year for some reason or another, wasn’t really planning on hunting anything with them just working up loads for fun. Got out to caribou camp up by the Arctic Ocean and discovered that I had a box of 85gr BTips at 3800fps instead of a box of 100gr X bullets. Having no other choice at that juncture I went ahead and shot a nice bull, right square in the shoulder broadside. He melted like you’d stripped the rug out from under him and upon inspection I found that it had broke both scapulas and exited. The next morning I decided it had to be a fluke when a much bigger bull showed up a half mile from camp as we made breakfast. A quick stalk ended in a broadside shot and a repeat performance of the bull seemingly being electrocuted. I recovered the bullet under the offside hide that time and it retained about 35 percent of it’s weight. I decided that maybe they weren’t a bad bullet for deer or so sized game and have used them ever since. Nothing seems to make it very far if you stick one in the wheelhouse, the buck I shot Saturday had a hole about the size of a can of soup through the lungs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nicely done!! You hunting partner will be talking about that for a long time.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
We’re still getting after them. Haven’t found any more shooter bucks but we’ve been having fun trying to get Momma on a good one.

We went to the farm when I got home a couple days ago and watched a herd of does frolicking in the pond to some reason. I could smell pigs and heard splashing and crept up to peek over the dam expecting a sounder of rooters. I was surprised to see 6 does splashing and running around in water up to their knees. Strange.

About sundown we decided to try the horns since we didn’t have anything to lose and Bigboy was dying to rattle. I took him and eased down into a ditch and left Mom up on the pond dam where she could see anything approaching. I showed him how to clack them together and pause and then thrash some grass and brush. I let him take over and work the horns for a little bit. Low and behold he rattled up a little button buck! Little deer came in to less than 20 yards and made a half circle around us giving us plenty of time to look him over. Needless to say my pardner thinks he’s a master deer guide now!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
ha ha ha That's GREAT !

Tell him Jerry said, Get After It!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds like you are raising him right to me! Congrats on a good Oklahoma buck and I have a feeling there are many more in your family’s future

Wac em and stack em
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great write ups....well done....congrats!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great story, thanks for sharing!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story, and I love the smile on your son’s face.
He’s a lucky young man!
Good job, Dad 👍

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Momma sealed the deal this afternoon in the rain.

We were busy sitting in the rain not seeing anything when she shot her finger out and said “there’s a deer”! I whispered for her to be still and quiet. As I cut my eyes over I saw a set of antlers coming up over the rise about 60 yards. I instantly recognized it as a funky looking buck my dad and I had both seen earlier this year and dubbed him “the Pronghorn”. I told her not to move and to let him walk on out if he would and she wanted him. After a brief staring contest he decided to feed on up the hill and when he put his head down she was able to get her gun up. As soon as he stepped into the open “BOOM” and he ran over the crest of the hill where I heard him pile up and slide down the face on the rocks.

We moseyed over and there he was, shot perfectly and dead as free lunch about 20 yards from where she shot him. He’s an odd character, heavy bases and pretty good brow tines but like his antlers are stunted above the brows. He’s bigger bodied than the buck I shot last Saturday, certainly not a yearling basket rack. She thinks he’s pretty neat and we’ll euro him to go on the corner shelf in the living room.

She used my Pre64 FWT 30/06 tonight because for some reason it is the only thing I have anymore that has scope caps. Ammo was some 1980’s vintage S&B factory stuff with 150gr SPCE bullets. They lived up to their name as the entry hole was a perfectly round .30 caliber hole, just like a wadcutter through a paper target. Lungs were centered with a 2” hole through them and the exit hole was about 1” diameter. I’m not much of a factory ammo guy or a 150gr 30/06 fan but these seem to work pretty well on this buck and a giant pig I shot a couple years ago.

We’ll get these two worked up and in the freezer before we shoot any does. I’ll probably go hunt when I can with my dad but our rifle season is pretty well concluded in this house. It’s been a good one, we’ve hunted every day of the season so far, made some great memories and seen some great bucks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 42 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.