Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Friday night found my sidekick and I out at the cabin on the ranch in anticipation for the opener Saturday morning. He HAD to have a fire in the stove, never mind that it was 58deg. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I kept the door propped open so we didn’t turn into raisins and we played a few hands of dominoes to pass the time. Little fellow is getting pretty good at counting the spots and knowing that only 5,10,15 scores as he puts it. My dad came out and played a hand with us but went on home as he had a funeral to attend in the morning. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
After much protest following a long fitful night of trying to keep a 5 year old in his sleeping bag, on the bunk, not too warm, not too cold, not too scary, and not too thirsty. I rousted him up and talked him into eating some chocolate donuts and having some orange juice. By shooting light we were out the door and on our way to our sitting spot for the morning. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

We saw bucks chasing does all over the place on our 1/2 mile hike to our morning post, a good sign but no keepers. We watched a big bunch of does feeding for a while and got to see 3 raghorn bull elk doing their thing for half an hour or so. We decided to make a loop and head for the cabin at about 9:30 or so. As I peeked over a rise down to the bottom below I saw a doe come cautiously out of a big thicket. We quickly sat down and got the glasses on her and where she’d come from. Sure enough here come an old gray buck hot on her trail. Following close behind him was the next generation, an obviously young 8 pointer with heavy palmated antlers, he will be a hammer next year if he makes it.

The doe went into a briar patch and laid down as old Wilfred made a line of 4 scrapes along the edge of a hackberry grove. The younger buck stood watching from a safe distance. After tending his scrapes the bigger buck disappeared into the briars with the doe.

Me and young son used this opportunity to get behind the hill and close the distance by about 100 yards. When we crept back over the top there were no deer in sight and I was a little bit scared they’d glimpsed us or heard us and shagged out. We didn’t have to wait long to find out. I guess the smaller buck had tried to make a move and when he entered the bramble the doe came squirting out quickly followed by the bigger buck.

I’d decided after passing several nice bucks last year on the opener and never catching back up with them that I would shoot one on the first day this year if I had the opportunity on an old heavy buck. Seeing him head toward an opening I assumed the prone position and switched the safety off on my 257Wby. When he stepped into the opening at about 250 yards I pasted the crosshair on his armpit and squeezed one off. I didn’t hear it hit but it felt good. As we hung tight I assured the boy that I was pretty certain we had him. Pretty soon here came the doe up the hill towards us to pass through a saddle about 40 yards away. The young buck made a cautious circle all the way around the briar patch looking and stomping as he went, satisfied he came at a lope following the doe like he was on a string.

We made our way down to find one very dead old gray buck lying about 30 feet from where I shot him. Another victim of the 85gr Ballistic Tip at warp speed. It’s been a while since I’ve killed one bigger than this, though he’s not a monster. I’m pretty proud of him though especially since I got to share it with my 5 year old partner. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
We still have a bunch of doe tags plus trying to get Momma on a buck, and if we get lucky we might find a cow elk to put up for the winter.

Good luck to the rest of the Okies out there.

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just a great story.. Thanks..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

One of the best so far. Thank you for letting us enjoy it.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
What a great experience for your son. Hopefully the first of many more. I miss those days. Congratulations on a great buck too!

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a memory that'll last a lifetime. Dang nice buck.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Man, I enjoyed the story and the pic of your kid & your ugly mug ! whistle grin

Don't get any better than that. Good looking buck IMO.

Congrats wink

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wonderful!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good Deal -----Take a kid hunting & you'll never have to hunt for the kid. !

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hell ya, great pics, write up and buck!! Grats

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for sharing
Nice buck

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Great hunt with your boy. Congrats!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good memories and great story and buck. Congrats

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice story and buck, Kid!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on a fun hunt.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice buck and story to go with it. I bet your son will remember this hunt for a long time.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
orange pop and dominoes just may be a new tradition....

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Great write-up, TK.

What’re the specs on your rifle?

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Good write up, congrats on a nice buck

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice buck!

So glad you take your son!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

One of the best so far. Thank you for letting us enjoy it.

Yes sir,having the little guy along is what it's all about.
Congrats.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.