Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
BP-B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My walnut 760 is drenched, just got home.
Passed on a busted 6 pt.
Gonna dry er out and oil it up and get ready for a turkey day hunt.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500
Only by stupid people with no foresight.

Absolutely.

I love classic rifles, have several really nice ones.

I do have some SS with synthetic, like them, too...

But, there's nothing like a well done classic with beautiful wood. A work of art.

As a certain famous English poet once said, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever".

And, so it is.

DF

You bet DF, agreed to all that, just came down from the mountain hunting here at the house, I took one of my favorite rifles in the world, they're scorned and hated my many, a 1969 year model all Belgian Browning Grade II in 338 Win Mag, the pretty blonde stocks, sharp checkering and deep rich blue 'is' a thing of beauty to me, I grew up toting A-5 Browning shotguns as soon as I was big enough to safely carry one, I love the damn things.

As with the A-5's, you can hear and feel the BAR's working on firing, I respect the craftsmanship and engineering that went into those builds, others can flame all they want, it wont change a thing.

Trump Won!
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Had my daughter out wit the wood stock weatherby. Last night of season and she passed on a decent 4x4. She wants him to grow up. Perfect. Edk

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Classics are thriving in this household. Have the array, however, the favorites are almost all classics.
GreggH

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
gunner, I've had a few BAR's, think they're the cream of the crop for autoloading hunting rifles. You're right about quality build and finish.

The fanciest one was picked up used, metal was perfect, wood was not in the best shape. It obviously had some use. I refinished the stock using a tung oil/urethane finish, sent wood to Errol Case in MO for restoration of the carving and checkering. He did a great job. When we got finished it looked factory new. That doubled the value of the gun and I traded it for an Ed Brown Damara 300 WM, a gun that I still have.

Some are just too pretty to hunt. Someone else needs those more than I do. At least I made money on this one, traded into a keeper.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Are you talking about matchlocks, flintlocks, caplocks or modern contraptions such as outside-hammer, tube-magazine lever-actions?

Pin Fire.

It's Doomed.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi John,

Apparently you're one of the very few who "got" my post!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Are you talking about matchlocks, flintlocks, caplocks or modern contraptions such as outside-hammer, tube-magazine lever-actions?

Pin Fire.

It's Doomed.

Hi John,

Apparently you're one of the very few who "got" my post!

Y'all were just ahead of me.
I was already considering qualifying Antiques/Antiquated as different from Classic.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Solid wood has become a luxury option for a practical reason. It takes careful individual attention to fit it properly. This isn't new. In times past, solid wood would be used for gunstocks because it was more or less the only practical technology. More costly rifles and shotguns had stocks carefully fitted by hand, but even a lot of production rifles with hand-fitted stocks (i.e. pre-64 Model 70) suffered a little inaccuracy just because the barrel channel or the recoil lug fit wasn't always consistent. At some point, aftermarket hand-fitting and glass-bedding became a popular upgrade. When did the Acraglas kits come out? Was that in the 70's? Even up into the 90's, manufacturers were offering their least expensive rifles and shotguns with solid birch stocks and they weren't fit perfectly. "Plasticizing" the stock's barrel channel and recoil lug area continued to be popular because it would often enough turn a budget rifle into one that would shoot as well as rifles that cost two or three times as much. The trend the OP has noticed began a long time ago but the result is that we can now buy an inexpensive Savage, Ruger, Tikka etc. with sub-MOA accuracy in part because the low-cost synthetic stock fits perfectly almost every time and unlike solid wood, it doesn't change over time. There's also no need for hours of labor to glass or epoxy bed it to get an accurate rifle. Classic, solid wood is not "dead," but due in part to increasingly short supplies of good wood, rising costs, and the additional labor needed to make it fit well, solid wood will continue to migrate toward the niche of a luxury option -- and it is not the only luxury option because many people will rather spend more on lowering weight with advanced composites, on more sophisticated adjustability, or without compromising extreme accuracy -- for all of which options other than wood are better.

FWIW, all my long guns have beautiful walnut, but if I was buying for some practical reason, I wouldn't dismiss composite stocks at all. Composite stocks are very practical. Wood is not even necessarily impractical but even so, practical is not a requirement for an awful lot of firearms.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye
My walnut 760 is drenched, just got home.
Passed on a busted 6 pt.
Gonna dry er out and oil it up and get ready for a turkey day hunt.

I know that feeling. If you refuse to hunt in the rain or snow in PA you don't get out much.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
gunner, I've had a few BAR's, think they're the cream of the crop for autoloading hunting rifles. You're right about quality build and finish.

The fanciest one was picked up used, metal was perfect, wood was not in the best shape. It obviously had some use. I refinished the stock using a tung oil/urethane finish, sent wood to Errol Case in MO for restoration of the carving and checkering. He did a great job. When we got finished it looked factory new. That doubled the value of the gun and I traded it for an Ed Brown Damara 300 WM, a gun that I still have.

Some are just too pretty to hunt. Someone else needs those more than I do. At least I made money on this one, traded into a keeper.

DF

Damn, that's a beaut DF, the Ed Brown must be real special to work a trade, what was the old BAR chambered in? is that the Grade V?

Thanks for posting those pics.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Clearly they are doomed! You better unload yours before it is too late.
Let me know how I can help.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunner500

DF

Damn, that's a beaut DF, the Ed Brown must be real special to work a trade, what was the old BAR chambered in? is that the Grade V?

Thanks for posting those pics.

yessir, beaut for sure!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember a discussion by a couple of engineers from a major rifle and shotgun manufacture In the ‘60’s. The management was concerned that the wood supply for their rifles and shotguns would not keep up with the sales of their guns. The engineering department was encouraged to come up with an alternative.
One of the first alternatives they came up with was a light weight 22 with a nylon stock. The rifle is popular, but that stock was not stable as moisture expanded the material one of the engineers laid one of these 22’s on wet grass during a lunch break. After lunch the 22 shot quite a ways off to the side.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, Gr. V... '06, gunner, IIRC. I never shot it.

The .300 Win Mag Damara is a great gun. Ed uses his proprietary metal finish which is about bullet proof. It has a match grade SS Shilen, Jewell trigger. stock of Ed's design and with his finish. It's made by McM for Ed and looks to me like a carbon copy of the Hunter's Edge, which is OK; it's one of my fav's.

I usually tweak a new gun, few have nothing that can't be improved. Except this one. It has the 3.6" mag box (instead of the std. 3.4") and is throated accordingly for bullets seated out to fit the box. With that, the jump is about perfect. That gives the .300 WM more case room. Ed's attention to detail is legendary.

Plus, it has Ed's 704 action, round bolt like a 700, CRF like a M-70. LAW bought Ed's tooling and design, tried to produce that rifle at half his price point. I think they finally got it right, but had problems along the way. I'd not trade this one for a LAW. Even at his price point, Ed shut down that line to spend more time on his fine line of 1911's. So, from a business standpoint, one would suspect the rifle wasn't as profitable as his 1911's.

Easy packing, easy shooting rifle. Not pretty walnut, but the real deal. It's a keeper. Did I forget to say it's accurate; shoots about like you would think. The trade was a no brainer, pretty gave way to function. I like pretty, I like function better. Sometimes you can have both.... The Damara is sorta pretty, at least to me... wink

I know what it can do...

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/23/20.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I spent a small fortune building a battery of 09 Argentine classics in 6mm Rem, 6.5x55, 7x57 and 9.3x62. Ive shot a heap of deer with them and love them but I dont use them.

Turns out my assiduous learning and adoption of straight comb stocks, CRF, low mag scopes and high SD RN bullets was ill advised - for my hunting. I've learned by experience that vertical grips, adj or high combs, utterly repeatable light triggers, the best optics, normal weight faster bullets and supressors make a pressured shot much easier.

One of these days I'd like to build an exhibition grade walnut stocked, rust blued classic with the above characteristics

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by OttoG

Turns out my assiduous learning and adoption of straight comb stocks, CRF, low mag scopes and high SD RN bullets was ill advised - for my hunting. I've learned by experience that vertical grips, adj or high combs, utterly repeatable light triggers, the best optics, normal weight faster bullets and supressors make a pressured shot much easier.

Uh Huh, I hear ya man. Now be careful there you'll likely be stoned or badly bruised. You're cracking the mold. So am I.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Dirtfarmer]

DF

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Gorgeous is almost accurate. I'd be afraid of damaging it too.

Good On Ya

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Originally Posted by OttoG
I spent a small fortune building a battery of 09 Argentine classics in 6mm Rem, 6.5x55, 7x57 and 9.3x62. Ive shot a heap of deer with them and love them but I dont use them.

One of these days I'd like to build an exhibition grade walnut stocked, rust blued classic with the above characteristics

Turnbull builds a case colored, fancy walnut AR. https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/tar-10.jpg

DF

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
756 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 84 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.