24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Remington says 6 mm and 308 only in lefthanded 788 rifles. I have friends that say they have seen 22-250 and 30-30win in lefthand. Special orders, maybe. Anyone here own or seen anything other than 6mm and 308?

BP-B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
There has been one available in 22-250 locally i saw recently

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would say that any caliber other than 6mm Rem or 308 is probably a barrel swap.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin!, I'm a lefty & had a 6mm for years, varmint & deer when I was young & poor. I've only seen them in 308 & 6mm in left hand. Very accurate but pretty heavy compared to stuff now. Timney has a better trigger for them but the original is pretty workable. Make decent bench guns, left bolt right port. Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a 788LH in 6MM a few weeks ago, but it wasnt pretty. I have heard of other calibers in the LH version but have never seen anything but 308 and 6MM. I have been told they offered the carbine in all of the calibers but I dont really pay attention to 788s anymore

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Where is local? Still available?

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
The left side bolt, right side port, is a nice feature when shooting from a bench.
But then a right handed action from a bench isnt all bad either.
I bought a right hand 788 for my now 59 year old son for his first gun, and he still has it.
I had often wished i had bought a lefty version for myself back when, but when the prices got to be $600 or more for decent used ones my better judgment always said no, so i bought lefty Savages instead.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I bought a 788 in 308 as my first rifle back when I was going to college in 1980. My LGS had both a 308 and a 6mm. The 308 cost $135 out the door. I didn't have the money for both.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bought one new in the late 70’s. $119 from Ron Shirks who advertised in Shotgun News. Sent it to McGowen and had it rebarreled to .243 Ackley Improved. Slimmed down the stock. Used it to kill my first dall ram in the Brooks range. Never liked the rifle as it always felt like a club. Also had issues with the trigger. Memory tells me there was one pin that held the trigger on the action and the hole that held the pin was split. Couple of smiths silver soldered it but the fix never held. One day in the late 80’s took a hacksaw to it and cut up the entire rifle and put it in the trash. I never regretted that decision. It might of been accurate but that’s the only nice thing I can say about it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Bought one new in the late 70’s. $119 from Ron Shirks who advertised in Shotgun News. Sent it to McGowen and had it rebarreled to .243 Ackley Improved. Slimmed down the stock. Used it to kill my first dall ram in the Brooks range. Never liked the rifle as it always felt like a club. Also had issues with the trigger. Memory tells me there was one pin that held the trigger on the action and the hole that held the pin was split. Couple of smiths silver soldered it but the fix never held. One day in the late 80’s took a hacksaw to it and cut up the entire rifle and put it in the trash. I never regretted that decision. It might of been accurate but that’s the only nice thing I can say about it.

Ron Shirks. What business is or was he in?

He who laughs last is slow-witted.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by antelopedundee

Google is your friend

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First left handed gun I ever bought. It was in 308 and when I say it was a tack driver ,that would be an under statement. The gun was just a plain shooter!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelopedundee

Google is your friend

Oh no doubt there about the friend, just a name that I had not heard in 25 years.

He who laughs last is slow-witted.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
The only factory versions I've ever known of are 6mm and 308. I have each - the 6mm now for nearly 50 years. I also have one in 7mm-08, but it's a rebarrel.... All shoot well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
470 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.