Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ken_L
I am also looking at the 2020 CenterPoint CP400 crossbow since it's half the cost of the Ravin but provides a lot of performance for the money. I want a crossbow that is fast, on the lighter side and when cocked has a slim profile since I hunt in an area this pretty tight.

Do not know much about them, I have not heard any bad things about them either. We have just a few archery dealers in this area and since Covid some have gone out of business , everything has to be ordered . It is getting to be quite expensive buying stuff to find out if it is good or bad. I purchased my first Scorpyd DS in June, 60 yards is a chip shot(I will not shoot that far though) and people I know that have them shoot 100 rather easily with Broadheads. Super quiet and low maintenance . I visited a Dealer in Florida a month ago who handles about ever type of bow and that was also his recommendation. I now own 2 of them , one is a backup just like my hunting rifles I always bring a backup. Mine weighs 6.2 lbs bare.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I got a Ravin R20 this fall. Practiced out to 70 yards and held a fist size or smaller group at 60 yards. I shot a nice buck and a doe with the R20, both at 20 yards...

USMC Distinguished Marksman (Rifle)
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
CMP Distinguished .22 Pistol
Average hunter, at best... smile

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MarkOue
I got a Ravin R20 this fall. Practiced out to 70 yards and held a fist size or smaller group at 60 yards. I shot a nice buck and a doe with the R20, both at 20 yards...

I don't shoot groups with my Scorpyd , My arrows cost 240 bucks a dozen and I intend to keep them intact.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I made this video 2 summers ago when I was a vendor at this bowhunting show/shoot. I did so to shot how easy and little skill is required to be a marksman with a bolt slinger. This is not the tool of a bowhunter. Those that use a crossbow are not bowhunters. They are crossbow hunters .(very different)

Bowhunting is not for everybody. Not everybody can or wants to rise to the challenges of bowhunting so its good that crossbows exist for that sort want to bring as little of themselves to the task as possible. Some cant get it done with a bow and arrow and need the ease and advantage of a shoulder discharged bolt slinger that can be shot from a rest to find success. This is the weapon for that sort. As for me, I will stick with bowhunting. I have zero interest in being a crosser.

Some of these crossers might eventually go on to becoming bowhunters after testing the waters with a crossbow first. I get my most satisfaction from taking deer and bear with my homemade longbow and my homemade arrows and my homemade broadheads I made from old saw blades.

Last edited by sharp_things; 11/12/20.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm envious of those that have deer that stand still. 50 yards. Deer would be gone before the arrow gets there. Especially with the noise most crossbows make. They can't help the noise though.

And regardless if you are shooting 250 fps or 400 plus, speed of sound is still about 1050.

Grouping size, yep that helps. But a good compound we could hit coke can size targets at 100 in the late 70s.

Mechanical heads. Nope just doesn't make sense. One more thing to go wrong.

Of course we are all free to do what we want, but whatever gear I'm shooting, its 20 yards and less, actually its 17 and less for me, I've had weird things happen at 18 plus.

Its bowhunting so I just deal with being close or not shooting.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And FWIW on the naysayers, not everyone can shoot a regular bow anymore... I have to use a crossbow.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have the R10 and took a mule deer buck (4 pt western) at 85 yards with it up on the North Rim unit 12 AZ.

They are very accurate.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a Ravin R-26 and am absolutely delighted with it. I have a severely messed up right shoulder that was replaced last year. No way that I could shoot a conventional bow any more. The R-26 is smaller in dimension than the R-29, but still produces 400 fps with a 400 gr. bolt. It weighs 6 1/2 pounds and is very handy in a confined space such as a blind. Cocking is easy and fast, and the crank handle can be used to easily decock the bow. I was warned by the dealer to avoid shooting two bolts at the same bullseye.

Ravins are expensive, that's for sure, but they do come fully equipped, and mine even had a very nice case. The only thing extra I needed were a few hunting arrows with broadheads. I chose the Rage 100 gr. 2-bladed head on the dealer's advice. My experience is that they shoot to the same POA as the target arrows. I killed a deer with it and performance was excellent.

The high quality scope that comes standard has a choice of green or red illumination, is adjustable for arrow velocity and has aiming points every 10 yards from 20-100. They have been right on the money so far for me.

I sighted it in at 20 yards and backed off to 50, just for giggles. Here are the first two bolts I fired at 50:

[Linked Image]

So there is no need to question whether it is accurate enough.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 11/12/20.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I have a Ravin R-26 and am absolutely delighted with it. I have a severely messed up right shoulder that was replaced last year. No way that I could shoot a conventional bow any more. The R-26 is smaller in dimension than the R-29, but still produces 400 fps with a 400 gr. bolt. It weighs 6 1/2 pounds and is very handy in a confined space such as a blind. Cocking is easy and fast, and the crank handle can be used to easily decock the bow. I was warned by the dealer to avoid shooting two bolts at the same bullseye.

Ravins are expensive, that's for sure, but they do come fully equipped, and mine even had a very nice case. The only thing extra I needed were a few hunting arrows with broadheads. I chose the Rage 100 gr. 2-bladed head on the dealer's advice. My experience is that they shoot to the same POA as the target arrows. I killed a deer with it and performance was excellent.

The high quality scope that comes standard has a choice of green or red illumination, is adjustable for arrow velocity and has aiming points every 10 yards from 20-100. They have been right on the money so far for me.

I sighted it in at 20 yards and backed off to 50, just for giggles. Here are the first two bolts I fired at 50:

[Linked Image]

So there is no need to question whether it is accurate enough.

Ok. Any decent well tuned crossbow with good arrows should do that.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rost495
I'm envious of those that have deer that stand still. 50 yards. Deer would be gone before the arrow gets there. Especially with the noise most crossbows make. They can't help the noise though.

And regardless if you are shooting 250 fps or 400 plus, speed of sound is still about 1050.

Grouping size, yep that helps. But a good compound we could hit coke can size targets at 100 in the late 70s.

Mechanical heads. Nope just doesn't make sense. One more thing to go wrong.

Of course we are all free to do what we want, but whatever gear I'm shooting, its 20 yards and less, actually its 17 and less for me, I've had weird things happen at 18 plus.

Its bowhunting so I just deal with being close or not shooting.

Total agreement, it is a close range deal. I used to shoot an 85 LB Hoyt with a release and then messed up my elbow. I hit stuff at 60 and 80 yards with no problem.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by sharp_things
I made this video 2 summers ago when I was a vendor at this bowhunting show/shoot. I did so to shot how easy and little skill is required to be a marksman with a bolt slinger. This is not the tool of a bowhunter. Those that use a crossbow are not bowhunters. They are crossbow hunters .(very different)

Bowhunting is not for everybody. Not everybody can or wants to rise to the challenges of bowhunting so its good that crossbows exist for that sort want to bring as little of themselves to the task as possible. Some cant get it done with a bow and arrow and need the ease and advantage of a shoulder discharged bolt slinger that can be shot from a rest to find success. This is the weapon for that sort. As for me, I will stick with bowhunting. I have zero interest in being a crosser.

Some of these crossers might eventually go on to becoming bowhunters after testing the waters with a crossbow first. I get my most satisfaction from taking deer and bear with my homemade longbow and my homemade arrows and my homemade broadheads I made from old saw blades.

If you're just trying to be a d@#k you did a pretty good job! Shooting off sandbags has nothing to do with crossbow hunting accuracy. Resting your elbows on your knees IME is about as steady as it gets. In a groundblind you can do that but it's not always possible in a treestand. When I hunted with a compound and a release I felt comfortable shooting out to 40 yards but most of my shots were 15-25 yards. Now that I use a crossbow I feel I could shoot 50 yards if I had to but all the deer I've taken in CT have been between 20-35 yards. IMO it's still about getting close and making a good shot. I agree a crossbow is a easier to make a good shot with and it allows people that aren't physically able to shoot a bow accurately or those that don't have the desire to practice enough to shoot a bow accurately to harvest deer during archery season.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Well the RAVIN did well. He shot a doe and then a 7 point 220 pound dressed buck. Upon closer examination the buck had been gored in the shoulder and when they gutted and subsequently butchered he had a good size puss ball. He was a bruiser so we assume a younger one was trying to become king or another larger deer is in the area. Shot through the heart and collapsed in 20 yards.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Good for him! The Ravin's are nice. The price point is higher than I like though.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rob What part of AB I grew up near Sunnybrook?

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Yeah, the RAVIN’S are pretty expensive if one opts for the R 26 or 29, others are over $1,000.
I will buy something next year, not sure what and head out the last week of October and first 15 days of November.
Saw a doe and 2 yearlings this morning. We have seen them a total of 4 times on the same path, no buck.]
We put up a Spartan WiFi camera that I bought at the Harrisburg show and used a SPY HIGH mounting system, pretty cool.
Where he shot the bruiser, there was two spikes and a Six pointer with 4 on one side. This is a 15 acres parcel next to the cemetery and 800’ from a main road. I was pretty surprised.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I got a older Raven......R9 I believe.

60 yards all day long.......

Very accurate.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northcountry
Rob What part of AB I grew up near Sunnybrook?

I’m just between Calgary and Okotoks if you know where I’m talking. We hunt up west of Sundre area

Rob
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Im not a crossbow fan.
My kid is disabled and is showing interest in hunting.
Has shot rifles and handguns before decline in ability.
Port on right side, right handed.....she has to go lefty now.

Am looking at rhe lower end Ravin or a Mission.

My body is falling apart, and its getting tougher every yr.
Proly have to shelf my Blackwidow recurve eventually.

Do what ya have to do, or do whaever the hell ya wanna do.
Bow or xbow...

Don' t care outside of proper terminology.
IMHO a crossbow hunter is a crossbow hunter.
A bowhunter is a bowhunter.
Either is fine but there is a difference.

I dont wear a toupee or dye my fuggin hair.
If I have to go xbow, then id be an xbowhunter.....and an ex bowhunter.

Big whoop.

Notsosharp will have a stroke soon and be relegated to gun or xbow. If hes lucky.

Karma is a biatch when youre a fuggin jackass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The R26 was just too short for me. Could shoot it well but not comfortable. Went with the R29 as it is 3 inches longer. Price hurt but cry once and get it over with.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I thought the 26 too short too (pro shop has em).
Liked the longer one.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.