Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thoughts or speculation on traveling to South Africa, summer of 2021 for a hunt?

Will it be possible? I'd like to finally go - and I suspect that there will be some good deals offered since 2020 was likely a pretty dismal year due to travel restrictions.

Anticipated problems for 2021?

Thanks, Guy

BP-B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Call up some booking agents and discuss what you want and what they anticipate for 2021.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many 2020 hunts have been pushed into 2021. Better get booked before the SHOWS in Dec/Jan/Feb.

Just got my full refund from Delta for joberg cancellation this year.

Good luck and health to all going in 2021.

R
R
Well, let us all believe and assume that 2021 will be a better year than what we have now and we can go back to our respective lives of our hunting adventure.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
mygrade1 is correct on hunts being pushed back to 2021. Personally I won't be putting any $$ down on a hunt until I know the country is open and you can fly there and get home.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would be surprised that the shows happen. I am not thinking a return to Africa (Caprivi in mind) for a couple of years at least.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Pretty much everyone who was going this year (or any international hunt for that matter) will be pushing to next year or later if not getting a refund.

I would look to 2022 or later and would book through a reputable agent who can help you navigate through this as I’m sure there will be some new things to be aware of when hunting in Africa resumes for international travelers. As others stated, would not tie a lot of money up until things are more certain. A very small deposit for the dates you want and that’s it.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by muygrande1
Many 2020 hunts have been pushed into 2021. Better get booked before the SHOWS in Dec/Jan/Feb.

Just got my full refund from Delta for joberg cancellation this year.

Good luck and health to all going in 2021.

Unless a vaccine is developed, I doubt there will be shows next year. The US embassy in Zim is closed until January, as are others, and African outfitters need visas to attend shows. I have pushed 2 safaris from this year to next but who knows?

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I don't think anyone has the slightest idea when African hunting will reopen. When will a vaccine be available? How long will it take to produce it? Who knows? What if 25% of people say they won't take it? I'm glad I went when I did.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gents:

One of the guys going with me to Bots in Aug 2021 has been signed up with the US State Dept. and the US Embassy in Botswana. The US Embassy there (Botswana) emails out periodic updates for Bots and other neighboring countries. He forwarded the email he received earlier today regarding South Africa's announced "re-opening" of its boarders to international tourist travel. I've cut and pasted it below in its entirety. Now, this is just for those traveling into and staying IN RSA for even one night. You CAN still transit through Johannesburg to another open country AS LONG AS YOU REMAIN WITHIN THE TRANSIT AREA OF THE TERMINAL.

> From: ConsularGaboronestate.gov
> Date: October 5, 2020 at 9:35:51 AM CDT
> Subject: Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Gaborone, Botswana (10/05/2020)
> Reply-To: <ConsularGaboronestate.gov
> 
> Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Gaborone, Botswana (10/05/2020)
>
> Location: Botswana
>
> Event: New South Africa Travel Regulations
>
> The Government of South Africa has announced an easing of travel restrictions and border closures as of October 1, 2020.
> From: ConsularGaboronestate.gov
> Date: October 5, 2020 at 9:35:51 AM CDT
> Subject: Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Gaborone, Botswana (10/05/2020)
> Reply-To: <ConsularGaboronestate.gov>
>
> Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Gaborone, Botswana (10/05/2020)
>
> Location: Botswana
>
> Event: New South Africa Travel Regulations
>
> The Government of South Africa has announced an easing of travel restrictions and border closures as of October 1, 2020.
>
> The 18 land borders into South Africa that were partially operational are now fully operational. The 35 land borders that were closed remained closed. The list of borders and their status can be found here.
>
> Three airports are now operational for business and leisure travel to South Africa: OR Tambo (Johannesburg), Cape Town International (Cape Town), and King Shaka International (Durban). However, flights from Botswana have not yet resumed and international flights to and from Botswana remain suspended at this time.

> Travelers from high risk countries are not permitted entry to South Africa for leisure. A high risk country is any country with higher numbers of COVID infections and deaths than South Africa. This means travelers from all African countries may currently enter South Africa for business or leisure. The United States is considered a high risk country and leisure travel from the United States is not permitted. Travelers holding U.S. passports may only enter South Africa leisure if they have been in a medium or low risk country for 10 days prior to departure to South Africa.
>
> The list of high risk countries as of today can be found here. https://www.sanews.gov.za/south-afr...eleases-updated-list-high-risk-countries

> The following rules apply to all travelers entering South Africa:
>
> · Travelers must present a negative Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) COVID-19 test conducted by and signed by a certified medical practitioner not older than 72 hours from the time of their departure for South Africa.
>
> · Travelers must follow all South African COVID-19 protocols including wearing masks at all times in public spaces, social distancing, and following hygiene regulations.
>
> · All travelers must have the appropriate visa prior to entering South Africa. This means U.S. citizens traveling on U.S. passports to South Africa for business or leisure must have the appropriate visa prior to travel. Contact the South African High Commission in Botswana for further information and confirmation of the documentary requirements for travel.
>
> · Travelers must present proof of their accommodation address in South Africa.
>
> · All travelers will undergo COVID-19 screening at the Port of Entry. Those exhibiting symptoms will be required to take a COVID-19 PCR test at their own cost. If they are positive, they will be required to enter a designated quarantine site for 10 days minimum at their own cost.
>
> · All travelers must have international medical insurance in case of mandatory testing and quarantine or medical treatment.
>
> · The Government of South Africa encourages all travelers to download their COVID-Alert APP which notifies subscribers and provides guidance in case of contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19.
>
> Please note that Botswana’s travel regulations have not changed. Botswana’s borders are still closed to those without Botswana citizenship or residence permits, and all travelers will be subject to mandatory testing and 14-day quarantine upon re-entry to Botswana from South Africa.
The 18 land borders into South Africa that were partially operational are now fully operational. The 35 land borders that were closed remained closed. The list of borders and their status can be found here.
>
> Three airports are now operational for business and leisure travel to South Africa: OR Tambo (Johannesburg), Cape Town International (Cape Town), and King Shaka International (Durban). However, flights from Botswana have not yet resumed and international flights to and from Botswana remain suspended at this time.
>
> Please note that Botswana’s travel regulations have not changed. Botswana’s borders are still closed to those without Botswana citizenship or residence permits, and all travelers will be subject to mandatory testing and 14-day quarantine upon re-entry to Botswana from South Africa.

Last edited by M3taco; 10/06/20. Reason: deleted duplicate text
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yeah, that's why I said what I said about USA citizens traveling over there. Having anything to do with SA puts yourself at serious risk of being sent home, quarantined, etc. I wouldn't touch SA with a 20ft pole for a few months. They (SA) sometimes seem to make the rules up as they go, or change their mind at the flip of a switch, half the folks over there who should know the rules have no idea what the rules are, or at least act like it, etc.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
They (SA) sometimes seem to make the rules up as they go, or change their mind at the flip of a switch, half the folks over there who should know the rules have no idea what the rules are, or at least act like it, etc.

Thats what majority rule will get you.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't conflate RSA with all of Africa.

As of yesterday, only Botswana is completely closed to non-Botswana citizens/resident card holders, other than logistical/transport (truckers) workers.

RSA is open to basically RSA citizens and regional African countries and limited non-leisure (business) international travelers with limitations/requirements stated above. US passport holders, as well as others CAN transit through Johannesburg Airport en-route to another country. Travelers just can NOT leave the transit side of the airport. Means no overnight stay a the City Lodge Hotel, Protea Hotel on the airport grounds or other off airport grounds lodging.

Southern African Countries currently open to business and leisure travel (tourism/hunting) are Namibia, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe that I am aware of, if you can sort out the airline transport in/out.

There are US guys going to the "open" countries for the past few weeks. As in all things, if an individual feels/believes the risks are to great, by all means don't go. This will be pretty much all moot in a few weeks as most of the "open" countries hunting seasons, with some private land exceptions and non-regulated game species, will be generally closed if not closed already. Most countries "official" hunting seasons won't begin again until Feb-Apr of 2021, depending on the country.

If someone is interested in booking for next year to lock in some really good deals, I'd say do it. Just make sure the outfitter doesn't require a "non-refundable" deposit or maybe willing to wait until 3-4 months before you actually arrive to wire over funds/deposits. As bad as the operators over there are seriously hurting financially, the reputable ones will understand the client's trepidation and "make a plan" that you both can live with.

A
A
Originally Posted by Cascade
Thoughts or speculation on traveling to South Africa, summer of 2021 for a hunt?

Will it be possible? I'd like to finally go - and I suspect that there will be some good deals offered since 2020 was likely a pretty dismal year due to travel restrictions.

Anticipated problems for 2021?

Thanks, Guy

I do not anticipate any unforeseen problem for 2021, the vaccines are almost ready, the election is next month and yes, 2021 will be great and bring good fortunes to our way!

Open society is the answer to justice and equality.
C
CWD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm headed to S.Africa in April. The hard part right now is trying to book air travel.

RLTW
NRA Benefactor Member
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
the RSA just opened to travelers from all countries! I bet one could get a heck of a good price on a hunt if they are will to travel and hunt this December.

USMC Distinguished Marksman (Rifle)
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
CMP Distinguished .22 Pistol
Average hunter, at best... smile

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Worldwide, as of now, all sorts of stuff is closing down. My state has a curfew from 10:00PM until 5:00 AM. Restaurans are closed in some states. Schools are closed. The UK health director is even talking about postponing Christmas until June.

I would not plan to go to Africa until 2022 if then, and would only decide as 2021 draws near a close.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
My trip for 2020 has been moved to May - June 2021 and plane tickets are bought. However, even though RSA is open for tourist, I don’t think any flights from US are traveling there. Not 100% certain we will be going at this time until a vaccine is in place.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my buddies wants me to go to SA in July. I should be hunting elk right now but my trip was canceled last week because I developed Covid..

I do not want to be in SA and develop Covid. That would mean I could not fly home and would be have to quarantine in SA. Worse yet, if I really got ill I would be dependent on SA healthcare.

Hunters really need to think this through. Until this mess is behind us, I'm not going anyplace where my truck can't get me home.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Went 10 Years ago-----GREAT !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
146 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,429 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.