Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have a 760 carbine 30-06 and it does not like factory loads even at short range I know it cannot burn all of the powder so I’ll have to reload for it give me some ideas with some powder/bullets.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving! 🦃

HR IC

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What types of ammo have you used?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
You may be making a huge leap and assumption when you are blaming the factory loads for inaccuracy in a 760. There are too many 'youth size' rifles and carbines out there that happily digest all manner of factory loads. Over the years, I don't know how many articles have been written, showing that short barrels and relatively slow powders are NOT a problem. Check your bore after firing, I'd be awful surprised if you found any unburned powder in the bore. The 760 by it's design, is a difficult rifle to shoot off a bench, untuned triggers are terrible, wobbly forend, barrel is a slip fit in the action, 2 piece stock, there are 3 or 4 different bbls in the history of the 760...Remington trying to get it right, please don't be offended, they are a fine hunting tool...but don't expect too much.
No insult intended of your experience. When you shoot the 760 off a bench, grip the rifle, fore and aft in your hands firmly, the front hand resting on the front bag, do not let the barrel touch the bag...don't let the forened rest on the bag, it will be in your hand which will rest on the bag. Try to pull the long gritty trigger straight to the rear directly in line with the thumb web. With the sloppy forend it is very easy to bias the rifle in the horizontal plane by a careless trigger pull. There is more , but I've already pissed you off i'm sure.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
No insult intended of your experience. When you shoot the 760 off a bench, grip the rifle, fore and aft in your hands firmly, the front hand resting on the front bag, do not let the barrel touch the bag...don't let the forened rest on the bag, it will be in your hand which will rest on the bag. Try to pull the long gritty trigger straight to the rear directly in line with the thumb web. With the sloppy forend it is very easy to bias the rifle in the horizontal plane by a careless trigger pull.

ChaseA1, Please do not take offense at this. We don't know your level of familiarity. What flintlocke says is correct, and some of the best advice anyone owning a 760 or 742 will ever receive. To a degree, same advice holds for about any CF rifle with two piece forend/buttstock. It's just that this goes in spades with Remingtons. You can turn a 8 MOA blaster into a sub-2 MOA effective rifle by following his advice. With no change in ammunition. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In and of itself the carbine length barrel doesn't require special loading combinations for accuracy reasons.

IC B2

C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I had the gun in a lead sled I had the scope zoomed in all the way to nine and I’m shooting at 50 yards at a piece of paper no wind nothing I made sure the scope was not lose or the mounts and it seems to have not shot but like a 3 inch 4” group at 50 yards and I know that is not right

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sure, but it isn't because of the barrel length.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
First thing I would try is a different scope.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Ditch the lead sled. Use thick leather gloves or similar padding to deal with that Remington hard buttplate. Grip the forend firm in your hand, don't throttle it. Consistent tension, shot to shot. The hand can rest on bags, but not the barrel or forend. Manage the trigger as flintlocke described. The worst groups I've ever shot with these guns has been off a lead sled. Next worst forend resting on hard sandbags. Can't promise 100%, but has always worked for me. We see 760/742s at our sight-in events (October). They're very popular in Maine. Invariably they won't group until we get the owner to follow the advice.

C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I’m not pissed I listen to people that know what there talking about and He’s right but I had it lead sled and I actually got two 760 carbines and they both have fire balls when you shoot I’ve tried multiple different ammunition and they both seem to not shoot very good with factory loads I just thought there might be Someone that had have the same experience and found a load that shot pretty good I’m not expecting incredible accuracy but I can’t accept a 4 inch group at 50 yards using a lead sled.

IC B3

C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I’ll try what y’all have said

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

A friend shoots a 7400 cut down to 18” in 30-06. The factory 180gr RN Remington corelokts shoot 1.5” or less from his at 100yds off sand bags.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Quick question: how much experience do you have with a Lead Sled? You wouldn't think so but it actually takes some technique to make them work properly.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have sited in all of my custom Mauser’s in with a lead sled and they shoot very good.

C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Sighted

C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I don’t shoot for fun a lot I just shoot to Sight-in my rifles

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Oh boy...now I am going to get on your [bleep] list. And I don't really mean to. I have a fairly elaborate shooting shack and range in my yard, for my use and for customers and friends, a great variety of rifles and shooters come here in August and September, of varying experience levels. Have had a few guys show up with their lead sleds usually with teenagers and/or wives to try to save wear and tear on the recoil shy smaller folks. A noble sentiment..but it has yet to translate to good results on target that I can see. Maybe they are using it wrong...but if they ask me for help, I do help, firing 3 to 5 shots with their rifle just using bags and a good shooting coat. Generally...problem solved, rifle, ammo and scope are ok. Of course, sometimes the usual suspects are the problem, loose action screws, bad scope, etc. But my point is...the lead sled, in my experience, is not the 'end all be all' of bench testing. It is just my personal opinion, that an experienced shooter, using good bench technique, using plain old bags and/or rests with a good padded coat will get more satisfactory results. I would imagine that if a person had a lot of time and patience, he could develop a technique that would use the lead sled to it's best advantage. There remains the fact that artillery pieces or rifles need to be allowed to recoil to achieve their finest accuracy....that is why machine rests are so ungodly expensive...the recoil mechanism. Otherwise, you could secure the arm to a 20 ton cement block and get world record groups, but that doesn't happen does it?
But, I feel your pain, 4 inch groups at 50 yards? That is truly epic.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I am understanding better now I have noticed I don’t know if all of the 760s do it but when I Shoot the action opens a little I know that the pump is free when you release the hammer/Pull the trigger but I’m guessing with the fact that The gun is absorbing all of the recoil in the lead sled it may be causing some of the action knock back I guess you could call it

C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
So when y’all say hold the forearm firmly I guess that helps well that too

C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
With not well

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.