Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm interested in knowing what other guys consider to be their best hitting handgun. And I'd prefer that everyone use their draw and fire results to figure their preferences.

Was at the pistol range this afternoon. I had my Sig P320 .45, my Ruger LC9 9mm, My S&W Bodyguard .380, and my relatively new Ruger LCR .22

Just because of ammo scarcity, I shot more from the LCR .22 than anything else today. It is a hitting little revolver and it's solidly in the line-up for any shooting day.
After numerous evolutions today, I can draw and fire 8 rounds as fast as I can pull the trigger, with generally a couple in the X, usually 2-4 more in the ten ring, and everything would be covered with a tennis ball, or mayv=be a baseball. Best score ((8 rounds) was 78 (3X). CCI mini mag HP

The shooting star of the day, once again, and not surprisingly, was the LC9 9MM. My best draw and fire resulted in a score (8rounds) of 78 (4X). Speer G2 Gold Dot 147

The Sig P320 .45 is always a pleasure to shoot, and accurate enough, but my best draw and fire (11 rounds) was 99 (1X). Federal 230 ball

The Bodyguard .380 really ought to be retired from my shooting line-up. I don't shoot it enough anymore to maintain skill with the really long trigger pull.
Best draw and fire today (7 rounds) was too embarrassing to discuss. 44 (0X) with one round off paper Winchester white box HP

All of the above groups were shot at 30 feet

Shooting at longer range steel the Sig .45 seemed to even out with and maybe best the Ruger 9mm just a bit, but I wasn't keeping any accurate track of rounds fired vs hits.

I tried the LCR .22 on the steel and was unable to hear anything most of the time. I think it did OK just by judging anything where I didn't see dust from the berm as a hit on steel.
But that is too subjective to really consider as proof.

You guys gotta hit something with the gun on your belt, what is your choice of weapon?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if I gotta hit someone, make mine a SAA or 1911.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A friend owns an STI 9mm 1911 tuned by Dave Dawson. It’s nearly impossible to miss with that pistol. And he won’t sell it for anything.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I also have a 1911 which I am historically fond of and amazed at how easily it shoots so well.

The Eagles "Lyin Eyes" song comes to mind when I think of the 1911. Did I get tired or did I just get lazy?
I'm no longer willing to carry 2 1/2 pounds of pistol on my belt...

But the user friendliness and utility of the 1911 is incredible...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
H&K USP Elite .45 ACP. Hard to miss with it inside of 200 meters on known-distance targets.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Oregon45; 11/22/20.
IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don't do too much drawing and firing with this one, but it's a superb pistol. There's better carry guns, but if this was all I had I wouldn't feel sorry for myself. It'll put 10 shots under 2" at 50 yards from a machine rest.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 11/22/20.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Early results seem to indicate a pattern, of sorts...

I had a different game playing out in my head.
Not the first time that has occurred.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Oregon45
H&K USP Elite .45 ACP. Hard to miss with it inside of 200 meters on known-distance targets.

I don't think you are gonna hit much with that pistol if you use that magazine the way it is loaded. The top cartridge is in backwards.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Henryseale

I don't think you are gonna hit much with that pistol if you use that magazine the way it is loaded. The top cartridge is in backwards.

Noticed that... Gotta be a story or reason for that?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hittingest Pistol?

I hardly ever hit anything with any of my pistols.

Do shoot accurately with several of them though.

Carry a Colt 1911 more than anything, time-wise.

But the Ruger MKIII bull barrel Target 5 1/2" that rides with me on the ranch has killed much more than any other handgun I've owned. It would literally have hundreds, (maybe a couple thousand) of notches on it, if I notched, that is. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This Frankenstein .45ACP “CCO” made 100% on my annual LEOSA re-qualification with A-USA 230gr. FMJ hardball ammo seem almost effortless:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This sight-in confirmation target was shot two hands standing, slow fire with softball handloads. Great ergonomics and fine mechanical accuracy, combined with the outstanding Novak sight picture, make this a “Hittingest Pistol” for me.

Every day’s an adventure.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
L frame

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I cant shoot ANY handgun worth a shlt, but, the one I hit best with is a Les Baer 1911 45 ACP, if that front sight is in the right spot when the trigger breaks, that sombitch will bring it home for you.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MOGC

I get it. Back in the 1980's there was an HK advertisement in the gun magazines where apparently the advertising firm accidentally loaded the top round backwards and no one noticed until the ads went out. It became a "thing" among HK fans because the ad's mistake ended up drawing more attention to the ad than it would have without the mistake. I think Oregon45 is paying homage to the 1980's ad, but mostly only HK fans would get it.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
One of the greatest posts of all time. Classic. Well spoken sir.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A N Y pistol or revolver OWNED.

If it isn't (unless it is a collectible), what would the purpose be in owning it??

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Having owned and shot over 100 handguns, one is heads and shoulders above all others. A pre war Colt Woodman. From the first shot I took from one, a flying raven shot out the window of a moving car I dropped it. Yea Yea I know you shouldn't be shooting from a moving car, what can I say, I was young. I have shot several other flying birds, took remarkably long shots, with success, on bunny sized critters, and took several head of larger game with it. Just like pointing a finger. Nothing else even comes close for me.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hi Standard Sport King 4" Heavy Barrel out shot probably 20 other 22 LR I owned sadly sold it.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by MOGC

Reference to a classic H&K advertisement where the ad copy boasted of H&K's perfection, and the picture showed a magazine with the top round loaded backward.

Last edited by Oregon45; 11/23/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

A N Y pistol or revolver OWNED.

If it isn't (unless it is a collectible), what would the purpose be in owning it??

Said no Raven Arms, or Stallard owner... ever. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
543 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.