Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Maybe I'm missing the point but I would darn sure rather carry a 44 Special (not a Charter Arms 44 Special) but there are some good ones, using the Buffalo bore ammo 255 grains at a 1000 fps, vs a 357 mag Buffalo Bore at 180 grain at 780fps. I think that's a good compromise. EIther a Taurus 431, or a GP100 3", maybe even a New Vaquero 4-5/8" and of course a couple of Smith's.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Maybe I'm missing the point but I would darn sure rather carry a 44 Special (not a Charter Arms 44 Special) but there are some good ones, using the Buffalo bore ammo 255 grains at a 1000 fps, vs a 357 mag Buffalo Bore at 180 grain at 780fps. I think that's a good compromise. EIther a Taurus 431, or a GP100 3", maybe even a New Vaquero 4-5/8" and of course a couple of Smith's.

The 180gr BB load is rated at 1400fps.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I had to check that too...... the buffalo bore is 780 ft pounds of energy at 1400fps. That works for me.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I've never had to use a handgun on bear, but I disagree with those that say if you fail with a rifle a pistol wont help. Thats simply not true. Just recently in southern BC a conservation officer was following a wounded grizzly with a rifle. The bear nailed him and knocked the rifle out of his hands. His 9mm saved his life. Lots of other stories that are similar. I always figured that if a bear was rolling me around, a handgun strapped to my leg would come in pretty handy.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

We were working a moose kill and a grizzly came in on us. My rifle was out of reach but my
Originally Posted by yukon254
I've never had to use a handgun on bear, but I disagree with those that say if you fail with a rifle a pistol wont help. Thats simply not true. Just recently in southern BC a conservation officer was following a wounded grizzly with a rifle. The bear nailed him and knocked the rifle out of his hands. His 9mm saved his life. Lots of other stories that are similar. I always figured that if a bear was rolling me around, a handgun strapped to my leg would come in pretty handy.

I had a grizzly come in on us while working a moose kill. My rifle was out of reach but my revolver was in my shoulder holster.

A handgun in never a bad idea

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I had to check that too...... the buffalo bore is 780 ft pounds of energy at 1400fps. That works for me.

Thanks for the correction.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by yukon254

I had a grizzly come in on us while working a moose kill. My rifle was out of reach but my revolver was in my shoulder holster.

A handgun in never a bad idea

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
U
UAE Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
in your case a walking stick !!!!

U
UAE Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
so I figured out today that most of the bears I hunt are smarter than 50% of the morons writing on those forums and more interesting than the 40% [bleep] left. So I write for the 10%

I have been giving "coup de grace" to numerous wounded black bears and sitka blacktail with a 10mm Auto.
So far I use hornady 180grains XTP or Federal 180 grains JSP at +/- 1280 fps in my 5 inch barrel.
its deadly and effective.

there is a GIGANTIC difference between hunting and defense or coup de grace.... when you hunt with a handgun you aim for the lungs. A 44 MAG or a 454 casual will be more efficient and will provide quicker kill than a 10mmauto or a 357 magnum because of the blow on tissues....

in a defense or coup de grace actions: what you want its be able to hit the brain or the spine and terminate as fast as possible your target.
In this case the best cartridge is the one with you can hit with the first shot a relatively small target in comparison of lungs. then double tap or triple taps as fast as possible. last week I dispatched a big sitka deer with a broken and damaged kneecaps... I triple tap him when he jumped in the brush. My first shot hit him in the heart area, I missed the 2nd shot through the brush as he was moving away, but the first shot put in down, missed the 2nd and necked shot down on the 3rd. 10mmAuto. a 44 or a 454 casull would not have been more effective cause I would have not be able to shot as fast as I did.

Last edited by UAE; 11/25/20.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sounds dramatic, why not just use the rifle?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Sounds dramatic, why not just use the rifle?

B I N G O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when i bowhunt for bear,deer or i am in the woods if i don`t have a long gun i carry a pistol . 99 % of the time i just always carry a handgun every place i go,my truck always has a pistol in it. i feel the most dangerous place is in a big city and its not from a bear either. >my back up in the woods in northern Minnesota is a 357 Mag. Ruger revolver.

Last edited by pete53; 11/26/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 458Win
Yes, that is what she, my daughter and even I carry most of the time

Phil, could you elaborate on specific models,etc ?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When I lived in Alaska and the first time I saw a grizzly print in the sandbar and I was packing my 6" S&W 357 Mag, it suddenly felt too small!

Alan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Folks trying hard to ignore the posters context. I took it as general carry backup for the rifle, including times you dont have a rifle in your hands. Too many bored old farts with high post counts these days looking for ways to pick questions apart. Especially against the new guy with low post count. I dont read a guy with 12 posts and assume he first fired a gun 12 days ago. He could have more experience than anyone.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If you don’t already have a tag your not hunting this coming May. They draw the tags out a year in advance. This app period you’d be applying for 2022.

Never heard of someone having to defend themselves from a bear on POW. Probably happened, just very rare. Never carried for bear defense there. Never felt the need.

My suggestion would be something light and comfortable to carry while fishing if you feel the need.
Myself I carry my fishing rod and tackle.

I wonder about your relative and the suggestion of a side arm. Makes me think they have little experience.

Rick
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mark shubert

I gave my daughter a M 65 stainless S&W 4" barre w rounded butt.
I have a M13, which is the same only blued steel and a M 66 stainless with adjustable sights.

My wife carries a Ruger 101 and my son a S&W M65 w/3" bbl.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by mark shubert

I gave my daughter a M 65 stainless S&W 4" barre w rounded butt.
I have a M13, which is the same only blued steel and a M 66 stainless with adjustable sights.

My wife carries a Ruger 101 and my son a S&W M65 w/3" bbl.

All great choices

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i do like a 357 for another reason 38 ammo is cheap to practice with and has less recoil for me and my wife .and for close range teaching and shooting 38 ammo works great . i own 44 mags,454 casull,10 mag,460 Smith too all have plenty recoil,so i feel my wife and myself are more accurate with a 357 mag.always. > bigger is not always better <

Last edited by pete53; 11/29/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
R
I have been to Alaska 26 times and traveled most of the state. There are no Brown Bears on Prince of Wales Island. The biggest black bear I encountered (350 pounder) was in a tidal pool catching Salman. He let me know it was his pool with a couple of false charges. The first time I traveled to Alaska was to build a cabin on Lake Illiamna where there were real live Brown Bears. I carried a Smith and Wesson Model 29 44 magnum. Jack Foldagger (Master Guide) laughed at me and called me a fool. I agree with him after having a couple of close encounters. He carried a 375 H&H every where he went, even to the [bleep] in his yard. I started carrying a 375 H&H or a 12 Gauge pump everywhere I went from then on. Two years ago while fishing at Prince of Wales Island I carried that same 12 gauge pump with a sling over my back.
My suggestion is leave your pistol home.
Nat Lambeth

Nathaniel G. Lambeth, Sr.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

604 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,309
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.