Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65BR
R7 is a GREAT rifle for short ranges..........light, easy to cock, very accurate. So you are using yours with the Nikon? What model? Monarch or ?

Thanks.

I believe it is the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40EFR. Now discontinued as Nikon has quit making scopes. Bummer because they have very nice glass and solid click adjustments.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info. MM - you are doing good work at the 40 yd line. Learning what the gun likes - ammo, and how to hold....as noted they can be 'hold sensitive' - enjoy.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
This gun is certainly hold sensitive, I'm still working on getting that dialed in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Looked at the Gamo Swarm Magnum also, but prefer the simplicity of no magazine.

Can't you use it as a single shot? Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by northcountry
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Looked at the Gamo Swarm Magnum also, but prefer the simplicity of no magazine.

Can't you use it as a single shot? Cheers NC

I don't know. Probably can?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Don't forget to snug up the stock screws once in a while. All that vibration can loosen screws and create some strange results downrange.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by centershot
Don't forget to snug up the stock screws once in a while. All that vibration can loosen screws and create some strange results downrange.

I discovered that early on, and was snugging them after every shooting session. The last time I put blue Loctite on them.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
What???

Yes. A Hatsan 125 Sniper Vortex QE 22 caliber. The brown truck dropped this off this afternoon. I had to see if it was going to like the JSB 18.13 gr, since I have 2000 of them on hand.....grin.

Well the heavies seem to work great on first blush. I just swabbed the bore, and did some 15 yard shots while adjusting the irons. Sitting on a patio chair, shooting off my knee. They are going over the chrono averaging 830 fps +/- 10 fps. Seems promising for a new barrel.

I gotta say, I LIKE this gun a lot. The trigger feels fantastic right out of the box. It's the quattro trigger. The rifled barrel is only 10.5", the rest is the muffler. The shorter barrel/barrel time might help accuracy in getting the pellet out sooner. Speed seems great. 18.13gr at 830 fps, 28 FPE ,with accuracy.

It came with a 3-9x32 scope and rings (cheapy, but I'll probably mount it with a better mount), and a sling.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I did a lot of reading up on this airgun, and it felt like a bit of a gamble, but I'm so glad I pulled the trigger. I bought it from Midway, for their good return policy.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Saweeet! I've been wondering about Hatsan and you can give us all a glimpse of their rifles.

When the aigun bug bites, it can bite hard! Ha! Off season research!!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
This Hatsan 125 is quite a contrast to the RWS 3500.

Where the RWS is stylish, refined, and well machined and finished, the Hatsan is a bit rough around the edges, but it really delivers, and seems far less sensitive to hold on my first time shooting it. The Hatsan is one you wouldn't think twice about dragging over rocks.....grin

I have some work to do with it, and I'll run the sampler packs through it and see how it does.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MM, how does the Hatsan compare to the RWS 1500 sound wise?

Last edited by night_owl; 11/23/20.

abusus non tollit usum
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The Hatsan seems quiter to me.

The RWS has no type of sound moderation, but the longer true barrel must have less muzzle pressure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Makes sense.

Thanks

abusus non tollit usum
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I cut the barrel down a bit on the RWS 3500. It came at 19.5", and I cut it to 16".

It just felt too long and front heavy. So I broke out the hacksaw, file, sanding block, and bluing pen, and went to work.

Here's the result,

Accuracy seems the same with the 14.3gr. The 18.13gr JSB tightened up significantly.

Both pellet weights gained some speed.

14.3gr Crosman - 857 fps (+ 37)
18.13 JSB - 750 fps (+30)

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I did a little online research before cutting the barrel. What I gleaned is that springers reach max velocity around 10" of barrel. The extra length serves sight radius, and cocking leverage.

Now it makes sense to me that the Hatsan 125 QE only has 10.5" of rifled barrel, but gets great speed and accuracy.

I figured shortening the barrel would shorten barrel-time for sure, and that might help free the pellet before I muff the shot. A little extra velocity is just some icing on the cake.

Cocking is a little harder, but no big deal. After I break it, I generally use both hands anyway.

Probably a little louder, but not enough for my ringing ears (tinnitus) to really notice.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I appreciate your sharing the journey.
The RWS does look handier with the shorter barrel but I like the cocking leverage of the longer barrel too much to cut mine.

Are you going to leave the Hatsan naked for a while or put the scope back on?

For plinking on the farm sights are ok but I like the scope for distance!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by colodog
I appreciate your sharing the journey.
The RWS does look handier with the shorter barrel but I like the cocking leverage of the longer barrel too much to cut mine.

Are you going to leave the Hatsan naked for a while or put the scope back on?

For plinking on the farm sights are ok but I like the scope for distance!

I got the inspiration to cut the barrel off a bit from looking at the RWS 34P Pro Compact, with it's 15.75" barrel.
[Linked Image from pyramydair.com]

I ended up putting the Hawke 3-12x44 on the Hatsan.

The RWS is getting a Hawke 3-9x40 AO. Should be here in a few days.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Hey MM, I've really enjoyed following you on your airgun journey. I've been "rediscovering" my springers the last month in an effort to save my rimfire ammo, and it's like I have to re-learn everything all over again. I'll get super stoked about a couple of really good groups one day, and go back the next day and totally screw it up. But, it's shooting, and shooting is fun.

So, what's your take on that Hawke 3-12x44? Is it the one with the half mil-dot reticle? I'm kinda in the market for something with more hold points than the duplex I'm currently using on my 22 caliber R9. When those 22 pellets start dropping, they drop fast!

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ridge
Hey MM, I've really enjoyed following you on your airgun journey. I've been "rediscovering" my springers the last month in an effort to save my rimfire ammo, and it's like I have to re-learn everything all over again. I'll get super stoked about a couple of really good groups one day, and go back the next day and totally screw it up. But, it's shooting, and shooting is fun.

So, what's your take on that Hawke 3-12x44? Is it the one with the half mil-dot reticle? I'm kinda in the market for something with more hold points than the duplex I'm currently using on my 22 caliber R9. When those 22 pellets start dropping, they drop fast!

Yes that's the one. Well, I haven't found anything to not like about it so far. The reticle is nice, kind of similar to the MQuad reticle on my SWFA scopes on the 308/30-06.

I suppose the real test will be how it lasts over time, on a springer magnum.

I dove into the air rifles for kind of the same reason. To enjoy some shooting without burning through the regular ammo and loading supplies. It seems to be working...grin.

I still haven't mastered shooting these off a rest. I do some of my most consistent shooting sitting in a patio chair, leg crossed over, and forward hand resting on knee. Not exactly still, but it seems to give the gun enough 'wiggle room' to be consistent.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I took the Hatsan 125 back to 81 yards hoping to hit a clay bird. JSB 18.13gr pellet. Held over 3 mils. I could hear the pellet hitting, but couldn't get any visual feedback from the dirt. Holding the gun loosely, the scope bounces off target during the cycle. Who would have thought...

Anyhoo, I moved up to 40 yards on the clay. One shot, one kill.

I need to set up a bigger target board and see what's happening out there at 80 or so yards.

I'm curious if hitting pop cans or clay birds would be possible (repeatable) at 100 yards? I'm going to explore that.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.