Share of undergraduate borrowers who defaulted
Within 12 years of entering the school

For-profit colleges 52%

Private nonprofit 4-year colleges 19%

Public 2-year colleges 26%

Public 4-year colleges 18%

source Brookings Institute

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Month or two before the election I was discussing this subject with my brother.

He pretty much paid his own way through dental school.
(if you agree to work in less desirable locations you get a deal on loans...)

He toughed it out and I think is now debt free at about 40.
(on school loans...)

His wife is also a dentist. Both workers...

He said hell yes you should have to pay it back yourself.

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/23/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You're GD right you should pay it back. I paid back every cent of mine. I can't stand these fuggers getting degrees in underwater basket weaving and the like and then bitching about how they can't live off of what they can earn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I worked and paid my own way through college. Had to take off a year to work to buy a car and save $ to go back to school, but I made it. Never borrowed a cent! I knew some other students that did it on their own too. Also had friends whose families paid their way. I was so glad to have the opportunity, that I got through it all without hating the other students who did not have to work their way through. It was worth it too.

BTW, I have zero respect for those that borrowed $ went to school and then defaulted on the loan! Some may have had extenuating circumstances, but not all. But that is their problem, not mine.

Last edited by crshelton; 11/23/20.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's the gov'ts fault tuition is so high in the first place. This is like stealing a lollipop then giving it back and trying to look like Santa.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You`ll also get to pay for the college education of those illegal aliens ya`ll love so much... Turns out, cheap labor ain`t so cheap...... for the rest of us.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 19352012
It's the gov'ts fault tuition is so high in the first place. This is like stealing a lollipop then giving it back and trying to look like Santa.

yep

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ribka

yep

I actually think its more the fault of the Universities. They've raised tuition through the roof and passed the cost along to students.

Tarquin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My oldest son is working his way through college while living on his own.

We were talking about this subject not too long ago

He wondered if he wasn’t screwing up by not taking out bigger loans & just getting done, particularly with all the talk of student loan forgiveness

I just asked him to figure out the dollar number it would take that he was willing to wince a lil when he went to shave.

His mom & I are some of the lucky ones. We’ve lived the American Dream, from poor to comfortable in our lifetime. It’s amazing how much luck you can create by working long days, 6 or 7 days a week.

I don’t know the answers to a lot of questions. But I know how good it feels to pay your own way.

I hope he gets to experience such in his later years

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Tarquin

yep

I actually think its more the fault of the Universities. They've raised tuition through the roof and passed the cost along to students.

Amazing the amount of kids I know do the running start, go to community college while working. Then 2 years to an in state university and get an internship so they have a job waiting when they graduate. All self funded and no debt when graduate.

But many of the super children want to experience 4 to 5 years of social fun in an out of state university because a friend is going there and graduate in their dream field with no thought of future employability. Millions live at home now without jobs and blame others for their and their parents' poor life decisions.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
You’ll be able to “go to school” debt free and stay on the parents’ health insurance until the age of 26.

What kind of idiot is gonna start working or go to ttrade school at age 18, when they can spend 8 more years partying on the taxpayer dime getting a “college education”???

Free dorm housing, free dorm food, free insurance. You think this nation’s work ethic is crap, now?? You ain’t seen nothing, yet.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Should’ve let them take out loans so they could get it for free.

With that money and the money you saved on your NRA membership; you'd have almost a hundred dollars.

My daughter’s a sophomore and her’s is fully funded at +/- $120,000 and my son is 14 and his is 3/4 funded at $90,000 through VA529 plans we’ve paid in to since they were born. When you work 70 hrs a week it’s what you can do. Or I could be like you and live in a shack with a blue tarp for “roofing”. Keep killin it and sending your $5 donation a year to the NRA. Wayne’s laughing his ass off at your stupid ass.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Part of the scam of higher education.

This will give schools the green light to charge even more.

College will be required to flip a McDonalds burger.

I am MAGA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
32 years ago a kinda relative and long time friend of my wife, and his wife, tried to borrow 150K to start an asbestos remediation business. They were turned down.. did it anyway, now making big bucks. Covid isn't hurting him, anyway. He normally runs a 15 man crew, has 18, needs 25 he told us. Can't get them because so many would rather sit home drawing "free money", than working. He starts them at $30/hour, with regular raises.

He told us that a job came up that he didn't want, so bid 3X his normal rate, and added 25% to that. He was the only bidder, so , as Cindy put it, they are working the "C crew" on that project That is her, him, and one of their sons, all of whom normally are not normally "working" crew, but admin and supervisors

Not too long ago that loan was approved at 1% interest because of Covid. 32 years. later.... They don'tt need it now, but took it. Knowing him, he's got it banked or invested, and making money off from "Covid" money he never asked for

And no, he is not a bullshitter.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Part of the scam of higher education.

This will give schools the green light to charge even more.

College will be required to flip a McDonalds burger.

Don’t know about that, but it’ll be about that “worthless”, due to the fact that when EVERYONE has a “college education”, will it really be that meaningful??

Employers will start requiring Master’s and PhD.’s in the HOPE that it assures some sort of knowledge/ability.

We used to tell kids they had to study hard or the “reality of the real world” would smack them in the face. The sad truth is, the “real world” (that Democrats are creating) is quickly becoming warped...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarquin

yep

The only reason they raise tuition so much is because there's a government grant or scholarship for every minority or politically correct cause in existence.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I paid my loan off. Those idiots that got loans for fields were there are no jobs should not be looking to others to pay off their loans.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nothing is free someone will be paying for it.

If they do this they need to do something about all of the junk degrees out there.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Scotty
I paid my loan off. Those idiots that got loans for fields were there are no jobs should not be looking to others to pay off their loans.

^^^ This ^^^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The colleges need to be on the hook and the Fed’s should have never been in the loan business.

No collateral loan for something that has no value in itself.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
244 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,684 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.