24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
M
M
Huck's first chuckar (mine, too, for that matter). Found a few quail as well.

Attached Images
20201123_142237.jpg (17.54 KB, 320 downloads)
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Great pics Battue

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Took my 1947 Stealth Sweet Sixteen for a spin yesterday.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by win7stw
Took my 1947 Stealth Sweet Sixteen for a spin yesterday.

Excellent! Your pup has the look of "Why are we standing here taking pics? There's roosters to go kill, sheesh..."!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks and good shooting....Your Dog looks like he has more than a little go....Well done....

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by battue
Thanks and good shooting....Your Dog looks like he has more than a little go....Well done....

A little? It’s ridiculous how much energy she has. She usually won’t look at the camera but I got lucky yesterday. We walked at least 6 miles of heavy cover before we found birds and she had plenty left in the tank. I would like to know how many miles they put on compared to their human counterparts

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The same! Good looking hunting partner you got there!

Last edited by sidepass; 11/23/20.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue

A little? It’s ridiculous how much energy she has. She usually won’t look at the camera but I got lucky yesterday. We walked at least 6 miles of heavy cover before we found birds and she had plenty left in the tank. I would like to know how many miles they put on compared to their human counterparts

I've been told for a ground coverer the average is estimated to be at least times 4....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
The dumb things I do for birds...

Tin Cock. Snow Cock? Nv maybe?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

HAHA. Good stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JLimbo

Tin Cock. Snow Cock? Nv maybe?

This was the first year in 5 years that I have not chased snowCOCKfrown. The TinCOCK is sad.....

That top pic was about 1,000 vertical feet above Thompson Pass, Alaska. I was after white-tailed ptarmigan.
The second pic was after a hundred year snowstorm in Fairbanks. I was just trying to get to spruce grouse on the edge of town that day...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer

HAHA. Good stuff.

Good stuff? I went into Valdez that night to lick my wounds.

I do believe you'd recognize this place though:

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That I do. That was a good trip. I need to get back up there someday...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Been out a few more times but forgot to take pictures in the field. Took my new 1938 3 Shot Sweet Sixteen out and shot it pretty well.

Awesome!

Plus 1

I love the A-Fives for field work. This morning after looking for the right Sweet 16 to buy for a couple years - I found one. Japan made 1988 with invector chokes.

Deal is done. Shells are ordered. 10 days it should land and then the pheasants will be falling.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by MOGC
Been out a few more times but forgot to take pictures in the field. Took my new 1938 3 Shot Sweet Sixteen out and shot it pretty well.

Awesome!

Plus 1

I love the A-Fives for field work. This morning after looking for the right Sweet 16 to buy for a couple years - I found one. Japan made 1988 with invector chokes.

Deal is done. Shells are ordered. 10 days it should land and then the pheasants will be falling.

😎

Congrats. I need to find another Jap Sweet. I sold the one I had. I kind of have a thing for 16 gauge Auto 5’s

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Killed a nice bunch of sharptails Friday. Needing to head back for roosters and bobs soon.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
We really got into them yesterday. A five man limit in about 90 minutes. Used my Miroku Sweet Sixteen again. Heavier than I'd like, certainly heavier than my Belgium Sweet but a super Sweet tool for the job at hand. Hundreds and hundreds of pheasants...as long as the weather holds out, its just going to get better. The single rooster in the picture with the dogs had the longest sharpest spurs I've seen, perhaps ever, and I've seen a couple of them over the years. I don't have a fence out there to tie my birds and dogs up to for a picture. I need to work on that some.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m green with envy of all of you who hunt the Mecca of the Midwest for Ring Necks.

While Oregon has a lot to offer for hunting and fishing enjoyment. Pheasants aren’t one of them.

I’m slumming away on a pay per bird hunt because our pheasant numbers have been low for many years and the once good places to hunt upland birds are either no trespass or private hunt clubs.

No tears here...I found a place two hours away from my house that has 4 separate properties with a combined total of 560 acres to hunt pheasants.

The owners only allow two groups to hunt per property, per day, with a max of 6 hunters on each property. Today we had 120 acres of corn, wheat, thickets and hills to hunt with 2 groups of 2 hunters. Each group hunts separately.

My pard and I rented a GSP named Wendy to assist in locating birds. The birds are planted early in the AM with a lot of leftovers from missed shots from past hunt days. Plenty of birds were put up. Both hens and roosters.

The roosters and hens ran, cackled, flew, and held tight in the thickest of cover. It felt like the hunts I did as a kid when pheasant hunting was good on the East side of the State.

Size of the birds were pretty good weight wise. Tail feathers were in the 9” to 13” range. I don’t know how fast tail feathers grow or if these birds were juvies or 2nd year birds. I just don’t know.

Pard and I took our 5 birds in a little over two hours after we both shook off the gun rust on a bird each.

It was a lot of fun...But, it still left a lingering feeling in my heart that native birds are just different and better.

My first time using this Benelli M2 20 gauge. Shimmed it correctly to fit me. Excellent point-ability, light as a feather and it ran flawlessly.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Your crew is living large.....fun times....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The results of my last hunt. Of course it happened on Saturday so an after hours visit to the vet. She’s out for two weeks

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
726 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,167 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.