Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have heard of some deer hunters who waited too late about buying some, and have had to sit out the season as a result.

Fuqk em, I can't imagine owning a deer rifle and not having several boxes of ammo for it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a link to a Powder Valley blog discussing the issue:

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/category/reloading-supplies/

405wcf

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It's real in these parts...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've heard that primers being in short supply is a key reason for reduced production. For some reason, primer production has been hit hardest.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have heard of some deer hunters who waited too late about buying some, and have had to sit out the season as a result.

Fuqk em, I can't imagine owning a deer rifle and not having several boxes of ammo for it.

Same. I've got a couple hundred rounds of .30-30 hunting ammo on hand, and don't even hunt anymore. Same with .30-06, etc..

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Who closed the LEAD mine in the USA>>>

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 405wcf
Here is a link to a Powder Valley blog discussing the issue:

405wcf

Good article, but I wish I could see numbers.

From the article ..
"In the U.S., only four companies (Winchester, Remington, Federal, and CCI) manufacture primers for civilian use, law enforcement, and the military. "

Okay, but how much and where. Who's getting the 24/7 production people claim is happening.

The part about the Russian primers was interesting. I would love to know some details about the worlds small arms ammo industry

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Hubert
Who closed the LEAD mine in the USA>>>

Don't know, which one?

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Close to 18 million background checks for 2020 so far. If 70 or 80% of them purchase firearms they also bought ammunition for those firearms. I’ve been reading 60% +are First time gun buyers. This is just 2020, That is a boatload of ammo. Buddy mine owns a gun shop,a gentleman that frequents his establishment works for federal ammunition he dictates where and how much ammo is shipped to different clients, I asked him where all of the primers are and he said we make more money selling ammo not primers,Loaded ammunition has priority.He said we literally cannot keep up with demand. He also said they are not having issues, and this was four months ago In getting raw materials, knock on wood. So it’s a combination, at least I think of multiple factors people buying large quantities of ammunition and people buying large quantities of reloading supplies, first time gun buyers, lawn Enforcement contracts military contracts, remember they also take care of Foreign orders, he said Canada it’s self is mine boggling.I’m sure there are other factors but it all adds up to the current situation that were in. I don’t believe any ammunition manufacturers have warehouse full of ammo that they are holding back, that’s just my take on it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know the cause but the shortage is really starting to get annoying. I'm well stocked but have definitely cut back on my shooting habits to limit running through my supply.

I've also been on the hunt for a certain gun for about 6 months, that's still in production, and simply cannot find a new one. I think I've talked to just about every dealer in the country and none to be found. I don't really want a used one but hell, those are hard to find too, even if I did.

Last edited by copperking81; 11/24/20.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BamBam
Close to 18 million background checks for 2020 so far. If 70 or 80% of them purchase firearms they also bought ammunition for those firearms. I’ve been reading 60% +are First time gun buyers. This is just 2020, That is a boatload of ammo. Buddy mine owns a gun shop,a gentleman that frequents his establishment works for federal ammunition he dictates where and how much ammo is shipped to different clients, I asked him where all of the primers are and he said we make more money selling ammo not primers,Loaded ammunition has priority.He said we literally cannot keep up with demand. He also said they are not having issues, and this was four months ago In getting raw materials, knock on wood. So it’s a combination, at least I think of multiple factors people buying large quantities of ammunition and people buying large quantities of reloading supplies, first time gun buyers, lawn Enforcement contracts military contracts, remember they also take care of Foreign orders, he said Canada it’s self is mine boggling.I’m sure there are other factors but it all adds up to the current situation that were in. I don’t believe any ammunition manufacturers have warehouse full of ammo that they are holding back, that’s just my take on it.

Any idea what the average number of background checks per year are?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Has the Remington bankruptcy affected ammunition production? They are a very large ammo producer.

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Has the Remington bankruptcy affected ammunition production? They are a very large ammo producer.

This article from above did talk about that.

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by copperking81

I wondered the same thing. This what I found.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/gun-sales-record-high-2020/
I just grab this off of the Internet for 2020, I know it’s CBSBut I’m sure those numbers are fairly accurate.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am not experiencing a shortage.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by OldHat

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics

Some more good info

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Another thing that may be contributing to it is that Winchester took over the operation of Lake City from Federal a couple of months ago. I'm sure there were some hiccups during the changeover.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by OldHat

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics

Some more good info

Most shooters especially high volume shooters prepared long ago for this crap, I started with Bill Clinton :-) I feel bad for younger, new shooters and people that don’t have four or 5K to stock pile ammo and supplies. The writing’s been on the wall for many many years, prepare for the worst and hope for the best I’m at the point where I’m just hoping for the best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a couple of cans of black powder. Should last 5 or 6 years hunting deer.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.